Don Kellers last hurrah- the Brinkmann Legend

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
The pressure switch for the minimag was a marvelous invention. And I'm pretty sure ole Tony wasn't going to be told a clicker tailcap was a better option. Especially when they were selling like 1 every 36 seconds or something like that.

I hated the Mini Maglite twisty head, I carried one on my duty belt in the Maglite leather holster and on a regular basis the head would unscrew itself and body and head would fall to the ground. I ended up investing in a clicky switch conversion so that I could keep it holstered with the head tight.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're clearly very different from me. Agreed

It is more difficult with a larger light. I can't do that with a Seraph twisty tailcap, but there's a lot of twist resistance from the double orings on the Seraph body. If my fingers were a lot stronger, maybe I could. I probably couldn't do it with a C or D size Maglite either, due to the size of the head and the size of my hand, at least not gracefully without risking dropping it. But I can do it with a Mini Mag, and that's how I ordinarily activate a Solitaire. But maybe not 20 years from now. But I do really enjoy twisting a z52. It somehow feels like I'm finely adjusting a sturdy potentiometer on some important machine.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
We're peas in a CPF pod man:)

Although I'm all American, I also much prefer cherry to apple pie, for the record.

Differences of opinion and unresolvable speculation aside, I have a factual history question:

Is or was the AA MM 'rotate head for on / off' element covered by a patent?
As many minimag copies as there were back in the day, and none used a switch like the minimag used I'd say part or all was patented, but not on/off motion no. Reason I say that is because Streamlight got burned and dang near died from the engraved bezel of the excalibre lawsuit but later had a pocket mate and keymate flashlight that uses twist of the head on/off like a minimag.

Brinkmann had a twisty head line too, the trimax for example was pretty much a 3 cell minimag and they had a Legend 1 aaa as well as a nextar 1aaa.

Btw I don't dig on apple pie or cherry pie either.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
As many minimag copies as there were back in the day, and none used a switch like the minimag used I'd say part or all was patented, but not on/off motion no.
That would be consistent with my guess too; the switch probably likely, but not the human interface / operation action. Thx.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I'd wonder if there was ever an attempt to patent the clockwise direction to turn it on though. I can't think of any of my twisty head flashlights that don't use counter-clockwise to activate the on switch besides Maglite.