Dual fuel emergency light

Przemo(c)

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I've got to the point that I realized my long term nonchalance in appreciating ordinary batteries in flashlights has run out. Considering the emergency and power cuts scenarios none of my flashlights has the ability to be powered by other then rechargeable batteries usually included upon purchase, which obviously make them useless in case of severe blackouts and power cuts scenarios.
Could you recommend a flashlight which could use rechargeable battery, preferably 1 or 2 AA size (14500?) but which could also be used with ordinary AA non rechargeables? Dual fuel, let's say.
Also could it have some acceptable level features like output or modes. I think for the emergency light moonlight mode is a must have, otherwise the max level / throw, etc is not that important, but also counts in a way, if you know what I mean. Generally I need decent versatile emergency light which can be charged or used with any AA batteries. Size / brand / colour etc doesn't matter. Needs to be reliable, useful, simple and tough.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Take a look at the Streamlight Protac 1L-1AA model.

Can be run off of a single CR123 battery (non-rechargeable). Or, any single AA battery, including rechargeable Eneloops and similar. But not with a 14500. Literally one of the best lights in my massive collection. In a huge emergency, it'll even run off of one AAA battery. Just don't drop the light if that's what you've got in there.

LEDphile

Enlightened
Most 2xAA lights will work happily with alkaline or NiMH batteries, but to use both alkaline and lithium-ion with a single LED means a more complex driver circuit than just alkaline or Li-ion. This is because the voltage required by the LED is slightly greater than the voltage provided by the alkaline cells, but lower than that provided by Li-ion and the driver now needs to handle both increasing and decreasing the voltage, instead of just one of the 2.

Given that the energy density of AA NiMH cells is similar to 14500 cells (a 2100 mAH NiMH cell and a 700 mAH 14500 have the same nominal stored energy), I'd be inclined to go with any decent 2xAA light and a set of NiMH cells.

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
Malkoff MDC XPL runs on a 16650 or 2 x CR123s. Doesn't have moonlight, but has a 30 lumen low. I got one and it's a nice & very dependable light. Several Fenix lights can use an 18650 or 2 x CR123 cells.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Considering the emergency and power cuts scenarios none of my flashlights has the ability to be powered by other then rechargeable batteries usually included upon purchase, which obviously make them useless in case of severe blackouts and power cuts scenarios.
If you have a car you can recharge your batteries with a charger that accepts a 12V input, or one that takes a 5V USB input.
Your car's alternator can replace the watts that you pull from the car's battery to recharge your cells, pretty quickly.
I did the actual math and posted it somewhere in the power outage thread.
I think that it was here

Monocrom

Flashaholic
How about the
Logan 17500?
Well, my brain is fried from exhaustion and overwork.
Forgot that a while back I had ordered a Peak LED Solutions Eiger Ultra.
Mine is in brass w/ an optional tailcap switch.
It'll take a single AAA anything battery. Alkaline, lithium, NiMH.
Even a 3.7v Li-Ion 10440 rechargeable battery.
If it's a AAA, it will fit! (More importantly, it will work!)
Might get their Logan model later in the year.
Didn't get the more popular Eiger Ultra X because that one is 10440 ONLY.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think as said above the Protac 1L1aa would be a fantastic fit.
Also keep in mind you can now get lithium rechargeable AA batteries that are 1.5 volt.
Eagletac (now eagtac) the D3A can run on 14500 or AA battery, you'd have multiple modes, they have a great selection of led options. I own the Nichia 219 and the osram, and love them. If titanium ain't your cup of tea, the D25A does the same thing but it's a little older tech and made out of aluminum.
I know battery scavenging seems like an appealing idea but consider getting a smallish solar panel or shake light as possible power outage scenarios.
I'm in Canada so winter power outages might not let the solar panel route work, but a wind up light is what I'd consider, especially if you can recharge other items with it.

fulee9999

Enlightened
How about the
Logan 17500? it can run off of 17500 14500, 10440 and RCR123A rechargeable batteries.

• CR123A, AA and AAA primary Alkaline and Lithium batteries and AAA and AA Nickel Metal Hydride

oh shoot, you're right! I totally blanked with this too, I even have mine primed and ready with a CR123!
It's the stainless version with the limited run herbs and spices, namely the Nichia 219b they had ( NVLS219BT-V1 4000K D200 L2 R9080 ).

I've swapped the QTC around, so the tailswitch now isn't responsible for how much light you get, but it's an on/off switch, so I just crank it to the amount of output I want, and a light press on the switch and voila, light comes out.

1708197435061.png

P.s.: this little trooper took a fall onto concrete and bounced and rolled around a bit, and for the life of me can't find where it landed. Tough stuff.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
.....I know battery scavenging seems like an appealing idea but consider getting a smallish solar panel or shake light as possible power outage scenarios.
I'm in Canada so winter power outages might not let the solar panel route work, but a wind up light is what I'd consider, especially if you can recharge other items with it.
Shake lights are a scam. But solar-powered lights that have USB charging as a back-up option are terrific. And, I don't mean those small keychain affairs. I have an all-black version of the HYBRIDLIGHT. It's quite good even with only 160 lumens.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
oh shoot, you're right! I totally blanked with this too, I even have mine primed and ready with a CR123!
It's the stainless version with the limited run herbs and spices, namely the Nichia 219b they had ( NVLS219BT-V1 4000K D200 L2 R9080 ).

I've swapped the QTC around, so the tailswitch now isn't responsible for how much light you get, but it's an on/off switch, so I just crank it to the amount of output I want, and a light press on the switch and voila, light comes out.

View attachment 57878

P.s.: this little trooper took a fall onto concrete and bounced and rolled around a bit, and for the life of me can't find where it landed. Tough stuff.
Bit Off-topic but I have to ask, where did you get that sweet-looking clip?

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Convoy T3 (1xAA) and Convoy T4 (2xAA), are really great emergency use lights. Both can use AA or 14500 LiIon. I would use the 1-10-50% mode if running alkalines. And for gosh sakes don't store the alkaleaks in the light, otherwise they will be corroded when you go to use them. I would recommend storing them ready to go with Eneloops (or Ikea Ladda) NiMh.

There are lots of other good dual fuel single AA lights. Some I have are:
  • Lumintop Tool AA (high self drain with 14500)
  • Reylight LanApple
  • Sofirn SP10 Pro (some low self drain)
Or maybe just get a big PowerBank and a charger that runs off USB.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Shake lights are a scam. But solar-powered lights that have USB charging as a back-up option are terrific. And, I don't mean those small keychain affairs. I have an all-black version of the HYBRIDLIGHT. It's quite good even with only 160 lumens.
Some shake lights are a scam but even making your own, it won't be all that bright.
I'm gonna check out the HybridLight 👍

Monocrom

Flashaholic
C or D cell Maglites will run on just about anything with adapters that are easy to get.
If you're putting AA batts. into C or D adapters, best to use a newer LED model flashlight. Older incandescent models, AAs don't work at all with the adopters.