Dual fuel emergency light

ilikeguns40

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've swapped the QTC around, so the tailswitch now isn't responsible for how much light you get, but it's an on/off switch, so I just crank it to the amount of output I want, and a light press on the switch and voila, light comes out.
I'm curious about this and need more info regarding your little mod you did. On my SS Peak Eiger Ultra I had dropped it pretty hard and the QTC pill came apart inside the light (must of been a bad pill) so I removed it completely and made a solid post from a concrete anchor and grounded it down with my bench grinder to the exact length I needed. Then I used the bigger washer from the QTC pill as a shim so it remains tight and does not wobble. Works perfect and ultra reliable

Attachments

• IMG_0258.jpeg
    IMG_0258.jpeg
    618.8 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0259.jpeg
    IMG_0259.jpeg
    356.2 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0260.jpeg
    IMG_0260.jpeg
    348.1 KB · Views: 35

ghostguy6

Enlightened
Instead of looking for a new specific light I would suggest you look at increasing your charging capabilities. Lets face it, if your a member of this site you probably already own several lights that will suite your needs.

First of all with modern technology you can find a battery powered device to charge from a USB-C cable practically anywhere so this is a great place to start. Most vehicles these days come equipped with USB power outlets and even if they don't you can find cigarette outlets to USB adapters for cheap. Get yourself some USB chargeable cr123's or 18650's and you'll be set for a long time. You can also buy some portable battery packs that will allow you to charge your cells via USB outlets. They make these battery packs with built in solar panels so all you have to do is leave them somewhere where they can get sun and they stay topped off until needed.

Another option would be to get yourself a deep cycle battery and an inverter. This would allow you to run your normal chargers directly from the battery. A charger like the nitecore d2 or d4 would allow you to charge any cells you lights could take. Again lots of vehicles are already equipped with an inverter. Many booster packs also have an inverter built in.

Lastly I would ask yourself realistically how long are you expecting to be without power? With modern flashlights it is quite realistic to get usable light for a week from one set of cells. A 24 pack of AA's should be able to last for several weeks of normal use. I think much of our high lumen requirements come from having to overcome light pollution. When you are in total darkness even 40 lumen can be blinding.

Przemo(c)

Newly Enlightened
Thank you all for superb answers. There's a lot to digest now in every direction - from looking into another flashlight in line with your suggestion, to looking into improving my charging capabilities. It got me to buying solar charging device (Big Blue solar charger, 28W) which also will potentially charge the phone as well. Of course it has its limitations, but it's a good alternative to charge what you already have. Also I will still look into your AA lights suggestions. Some of them are really great, need to dive into that choice and choose wisely. Thanks again! T

Croquette

Enlightened
some foursevens head work on AA, 2 AA, 14500, CR123, RCR123 OR 16650, but you need the bodies that go with.