DVD X COPY.....ILLEGAL!!!!

raggie33

*the raggedier*
yeah i just went to there website and they finaly have a new one.ive used it for years to convert mp3 to wma.wish they would add the atrac codec though

Greta

Flashaholic
Seems this thread has found it's way back on topic... and with no assistance from me!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif

Isn't this like one of the 7 signs or something like that? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Carry on... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've only come across one copy-protected CD so far--an Apocalyptica album that I ordered from Germany last winter. When I put it into my computer's CD-ROM, it launches a built-in player that allows me to play the music but not rip any files.

Unfortunately, this CD doesn't work with my Rio Volt player, which is supposed to play audio CDs in addition to MP3s and WMAs. The Rio must read all CDs in a computer-like way, and the copy protection prevents it from playing on this device.

X-CalBR8

Flashlight Enthusiast
I should have mentioned to that dBpoweramp's ripper is supposedly the fastest ripper in existence (by choosing the rip to RAM option IIRC). I've not confirmed this for myself because I care more for accuracy than speed, but others make this claim.

@raggie33: Just remember when you convert from one lossy format to another, such as your example of mp3 to wma, you will incur the losses inherent with both compressions. Whenever possible it's better to convert directly from the original .wav file or convert to or from a lossless audio compression format such as Monkeys Audio or FLAC, both of which are playable in such popular players as Winamp or even the dBpoweramp player IIRC.

Here is the URL for Monkey's Audio: http://www.monkeysaudio.com/

Here is the URL for FLAC: http://flac.sourceforge.net/

Monkey's Audio has the distinct advantage that it has, by far, the best lossless compression of any lossless audio CODEC, but at the price of it not being streamable like FLAC and also FLAC files are still playable if they ever become partially corrupted, which is a nice side-effect of it being a streamable format. This nice attribute is of course penalized in the form of a significantly worse compression ratio than Monkey's Audio. FLAC again has the advantage that some new commercial players are starting to include support for the format which would make it a nice option for a portable player and also FLAC has the nice plus of being fully open source. Monkey's Audio is also freeware, but it is not completely 100% open source as of yet, to the best of my knowledge. Of course this would be of little significance to anyone but a programmer, but it is still nice to know. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

raggie33

*the raggedier*
o i agree with converting from one format to another.but mostly i listen to tunes on my portable audio devices and i think even at a low bitrate around 56k the headphones of a poratble device are the weaklink.of course thats just my opion i think my next portable devices will suport org vorbis.i want a 4 gig hardrive player.o by the way im recording i meaN backing up a dvd right now going to put it on a cd doing a dual pass encode with divx5.1

X-CalBR8

Flashlight Enthusiast
EAC can be a little bit overwhelming at first compared to some of the more "dumbed down" rippers out there so I thought I should post a URL that goes into great detail describing all of the little intricacies of EAC and also helps to explain why it's considered to be the most accurate ripper available today. I hope that this is of help to those who would like to learn a little bit more about the excellent freeware ripper EAC and how to configure it for best performance and most accurate results. http://www.ping.be/satcp/eac00.htm#-

X-CalBR8

Flashlight Enthusiast
@raggie33: Have you considered just getting a portable CD player that will read DVDs? That way, if you have a DVD writer, you can write a DVD full of compressed music without the much greater expense of buying a unit with a large hard drive in it. You would also get the bonus of being able to play DVD audio disc to, whenever they finally start showing up everywhere. Speaking of which, I wonder whatever happened to the format? I've heard some say that it is all part of the RIAA being ticked off that the format doesn't have strong enough copy protection to suit them and they are trying to pull the format in favor of another format that is more difficult to copy. It could all just be a rumor, but it would fit their agenda, so who knows? All I know for sure is that I've not yet been able to purchase my first DVD audio disc...

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would have no problem paying for software to watch DVDs in Linux.

The irony, is that the movie industry uses Linux to make movies. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

raggie33

*the raggedier*
only unit i saw that played dvd s encoed with digital music was a sony unit and it was pretty expesive i can get a decent 4 gig hardrive unit with 16 hours a battery life for like 199.there going to come out left and right now. and drop in price hecy i even saw a unit for 99 bucks with a 20 gig hardrive if irecall it was huge compared to ipod though so ill probaly wiat for the new crative labs unit to come out

X-CalBR8

Flashlight Enthusiast
@Charles: It's not a matter of being *willing* to pay for it, it was more a matter of there not being enough of a market for anyone to care enough to write a commercial DVD player for the Linux community. This is because the DVD consortium charged a ridiculously exorbitant licensing fee to anyone that wanted to write a commercial player for Linux, and so nobody wanted to take the gamble that they would ever be able to recoup that kind of investment, conversely, they were almost sure to recoup their investment if they wrote their players for Windows or Apple.

That's why we have commercial players on both of those more prolific operating systems, but nothing but threats and lawsuits concerning the freely available players written for the Linux platform. I really don't see much stopping progress on Linux DVD players though because once open source code has ever been released into the wilds of the internet, there is absolutely no putting the genie back into the bottle, no matter how much the rich and powerful may shake their fists or their wallets at the problem. It's just a shame that our legal system has to be written in such a way that several people's lives are likely to be ruined by the DVD and movie industry and there is nothing much that we citizens can do but sit back and watch the legal corruption play out...

X-CalBR8

Flashlight Enthusiast
raggie33 said: "I even saw a unit for 99 bucks with a 20 gig hardrive"

That's pretty sweet. I could do a lot with 20gigs. I wonder if it supports a lossless audio format such as FLAC. With a 20 gig hard drive it should. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

You know, I wonder if that 20 gig hard drive is a normal full size hard drive? If so, it would be really fun to mod it with a much more modern 160gig drive and just put your entire music collection on the thing in uncompressed .wav format. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

MichiganMan

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
There you guys go again thinking that if I'm opposed to one faction of our governmental mafia that I must automatically be a supporter of the other, because as we all know, there are only 2 political parties in this country in most peoples' minds.

[/ QUOTE ]

@X-CalBR8: Guilty as charged regarding my assumptions. My apologies. (Jeez, what's a guy gotta do to get a thread off topic these days...?)

I'll have to give EAC another look, especially now that I no longer have any "investment" in using Audiograbber. Given your standards for ripping, I assume (assumptions, assumptions) that you're ripping to a pretty high bitrate when you do do mp3's? I've compromised on a preference for 192 ripped with LAME via AG. Not perfect of course, but close enough to not be noticeable to those not looking for it. Plus it tickles my geek fancy when I show my coworkers how I'm able to carry 8-9 separate albums on a single CD. Then when I show them the ID3 tag info on my supremely convenient and afforadable RCA portable CD player, running for hours off a set of NIMH 1/2 hour rechargeables they're completely hooked.

X-CalBR8

Flashlight Enthusiast
@MichiganMan: Man, now what the heck are you going on about? For one thing, I NEVER hang out on news groups of ANY kind whatsoever, and for another, I don't even *own* a Palm Pilot so I certainly would have NEVER found the need to post to a Palm Pilot news group, ever.

How would you feel if I tried to find everyone on the internet that used the nickname "MichiganMan" and quote every bad thing that they have to say? No matter how unique your nickname there will always be somebody out there that will either steal it and/or come up with it on their own. There are how many millions of people on the net these days?

X-CalBR8

Flashlight Enthusiast
MichiganMan said: "I've compromised on a preference for 192 ripped with LAME via AG. Not perfect of course, but close enough to not be noticeable to those not looking for it."

I would agree that 192kbs encoded with LAME is a very good compromise of quality versus size. If I were using something that was very limited on space, such as a player with a flash card, that would be the bitrate that I would choose as well.

It's also worth noting that with EAC that you can rip directly to LAME (or most any other audio CODEC) using any presets that you like, making it a very versatile program and the author is adding new features all the time, making it a program to keep an eye on.

MichiganMan

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
@MichiganMan: Man, now what the heck are you going on about? For one thing, I NEVER hang out on news groups of ANY kind whatsoever, and for another, I don't even *own* a Palm Pilot so I certainly would have NEVER found the need to post to a Palm Pilot news group, ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoops, you know what that is? That's late for work, hastily trying to type a reply to you, pasting it to a reply in a newsgroup I subscribe to so as to use the newsreader's spell checker, and being careless with my pasting back. Sorry, that wasn't meant to be a quote, it was my reply to you. Its fixed.

Sigh, boy that could have been bad. As it is I'm now publicly outed as a Palm geek.

Just think if I had instead grabbed a reply to alt.pictures.anna.nicole.smith.chocolate.syrup... uh, if I subscribed to that group that is... , I mean, I don't even know if there is such a group, matter of fact, I don't even know who this Anna chick is... What I mean is...

SASHA! TIME TO CLOSE THE THREAD!

Yep, train wreck, not even worth reading. Just close 'er up.

Greta

Flashaholic
Ah no, MM... you are SO on your own here.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

X-CalBR8

Flashlight Enthusiast
@MichiganMan: That makes so much more sense now. Apology accepted. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got a recorded phone call on Tuesday night from 321 Studios.
It was asking all of their supporters to please call Time Warner and demand our rights to legal back-ups.