DX SSC P4 (C2-70601) broken - How to remove driver?

tr098a

Newly Enlightened
This torch has lasted a couple of years, but I dropped it from about chest height and it bounced, on the second bounce the light went out.

I've removed the LED/pill but I'm not sure how to get the driver board out of the housing, there is a brass ring between the housing and the driver board. 2 spots of solder between the driver and brass ring.
mtesscp41.jpg

mtehead.jpg

DX sku 1995

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Often, those are compression fit.

Unsolder the board from the brass cup, then solidly solder a nice heavy gauge stranded wire to the battery contact on the board.

Under control, use it to pull out the board.

Or, if you don't care about damaging the board - drill a small hole in it and pry it out with a screwdriver.

rekd0514

Newly Enlightened
I have used de soldering braid to get a driver out once. It works pretty good if you can't get the solder blob separated.

Pöbel

Enlightened
you may also press it trough the holes on top with a thin allen key or screwdriver

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
These require a hot soldering iron to remove easily, usually a 60 watt or greater, reason is the solder blobs are very difficult to remove completely and they hold the board in place. If you can remove the solder the board tends to remove pretty easily by prying out or pulling from the edge with a wire soldered to the edge of the board.

tr098a

Newly Enlightened
I've removed all of the solder using braid, even ran a knife around the rim to make sure it was clean. I soldered the braid to the centre battery terminal and the board just isn't moving. The battery terminal has even lifted off where I used the braid to tug it.
I scraped a couple of tiny holes/slits around the outside of the circuit board and pried it with a knife, which lifted the board slightly but it's still too tight to lift out.
These things are not designed to be taken apart :thumbsdow

tr098a

Newly Enlightened
Managed to remove it using a pin and knife to pry it while pushing down from the top holes, it was incredibly tight.
Can't see anything obviously wrong with the driver board though. it's only running at 1.4V across the LED, aren't they supposed to run at 4V?

Last edited: