Eating bugs to survive?

goldenlight

Enlightened
In many parts of the world, insects and grubs make up a significant amount of peoples' diets, because they have no other affordable source of protein.

I would have to get pretty hungry before I would eat bugs!

Illum

Flashaholic
Unless you are fed it since a young age...then you'll look about and wonder why foreigners like the Americans make such a fuss over such a delicacy:thinking:

hkfrost

Newly Enlightened
We've probably all eaten a pound or two and don't even realize it. Insects are routinely ground up in flour and other food stuffs and is a good source of protein. Yum.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
We've probably all eaten a pound or two and don't even realize it. Insects are routinely ground up in flour and other food stuffs and is a good source of protein. Yum.

LOL

We all know that. We just never talk about it. :whistle:

Burgess

Flashaholic
I've certainly eaten NUMEROUS bugs over the years,

while riding my Bicycle ! :(

But the WORST incident:

Once, a Hornet flew into my mouth, and . . . .

before i could Spit it OUT . . . .

STUNG my Tongue ! ! !

:eeksign:

Quite far back, on the side.

Very rapidly began to SWELL UP !

As i continued to ride (home), i was very much hoping
that it wouldn't swell up enough to Block my Airway.

:eeksign::eeksign:

Luckily, it did not.

But it was 2 FULL DAYS before the swelling had gone down !

Overall -- Not a very pleasant experience.

:shakehead
_

Acid87

Enlightened
I feel like a gourmet insect taster now as Ive tried chocolate covered tree ants, Scorpion lollies/Vodka (I know technically not a insect) and mealworms. Not sure I would be able to eat them in the wild without some tabasco or salt and pepper. :grin2:

PayBack

Enlightened
I think in a survival situation, if I was to force myself to eat a bug. My gag reflex would kick in and I would probably puke everything I did have left in me.

+1

TBH I'm not sure how my reflex would react if I was dying of starvation, but even very hungry it doesn't take much.

I can't even hold a AAA light between my teeth for more than a few seconds :D

Billy Ram

Enlightened
Arround here you'd have to try hard to starve to death. There's food everywhere. Just to name a few Oysters, shrimp, mud bugs, alligators, all kinds of fish and Deer. A few grass hoppers or some kind of bug won't go very far. I wouldn't even think about it.
Billy

TwinBlade

Enlightened
There is a school of thought that says crayfish, shrimp, lobsters etc are in fact insects, the principal difference being that they evolved to be waterproof (IPX8, LOL) and are nicer to eat.

I hope I never come across a scorpion the size of a lobster. :sick2: :crackup:
IPX8 waterproof! LOL! Glad I had my beer set down. :D

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would probably eat insects like crickets or grashoppers, but no worms. I have eaten coked snails, but I would never eat a live snail or slug, especially if it could be identified as such.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Not on purpose "yet" - depends on whether I'm wearing a faceshield on the bike or not! :ohgeez:

Seiriously...no bugs, got weathered in on a hunt and ended up eating "fiddleheads" (newly sprouted ferns) - pretty tasty! Then we found a cache with coconut & walnuts. That's another story though...

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seiriously...no bugs, got weathered in on a hunt and ended up eating "fiddleheads" (newly sprouted ferns) - pretty tasty! Then we found a cache with coconut & walnuts. That's another story though...

oo! oo! sigman story time?

Mr Bigglow

Enlightened
I've done it in the field, not out of necessity but for training purposes. If you can, it's best to toast the critters over an open flame. This not only adds a pleasant flavour but also kills parasites and burns off any spikey legs, etc- and possibly also hairs- but as per an earlier post, eating hairy insects should generally be avoided since it's often a sign that they are unpalatable or even poisonous. Eating any unfamiliar insect should only be done very cautiously but after a long enough period of starvation rations, I promise that anyone would do it.

Eating mud in Asia was a known practice but only if your leader was named Mao and he was deliberately starving off some of the surplus population or, as at present, Kim Jong and an incompetent maniac.

b_gardner74

Newly Enlightened
I never had to eat bugs to survive but I dont know if I will be able to do it just in case it was needed. I absolutely always carry lots of munchies in my backpack no matter what.

LUPARA

Newly Enlightened
This is exactly why I practice going without food for very long periods!! Three days is a cinch...one week a little tougher...more than that and I reckon I might have to break down and shoot something tasty!!!

Mr Bigglow

Enlightened
This is exactly why I practice going without food for very long periods!! Three days is a cinch...one week a little tougher...more than that and I reckon I might have to break down and shoot something tasty!!!

Along those lines, I might recommend that everyone read the book I'm currently engrossed in, One Second After. It's about a fictional EMP event and how quickly the food would run out everywhere if every modern vehicle stopped at the same time: the answer is "surprisingly quickly".

Speaking of EMP, I wonder how our high tech flashlights would be affected....