EBL 18650s - How Do They Compare?

ElectroPulse

Newly Enlightened
Hello, all!

I recently ordered a NiteCore HC50. Now to just get some batteries to power the thing...

I ran across the EBL-branded 18650 batteries on Amazon. $3/each in quantities of 6 (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IOCCDBK/?tag=cpf0b6-20).

The reviews seem positive, but am wondering how they compare to other brands, like Orbtronics, that are popular on here.

On a side note, does self-discharge rate vary from brand-to-brand, or is it pretty much the same for all of these Li-ion batteries?

Thanks!

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
With great cells by Sanyo-Panasonic, Sony, LG and Samsung and great rebranders like Orbtronic and Keeppower, let along some of the flashlight manufacturers, why would you gamble on those?

I don't see that HKJ has tested any of them, so they might be great, but ehhh...life's too short for generic li-ion cells.

http://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/Common18650comparator.php

Good luck, however.

Chris

gnappi

Newly Enlightened
Hello, all!

I recently ordered a NiteCore HC50. Now to just get some batteries to power the thing...

I ran across the EBL-branded 18650 batteries on Amazon. $3/each in quantities of 6 (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IOCCDBK/?tag=cpf0b6-20).

The reviews seem positive, but am wondering how they compare to other brands, like Orbtronics, that are popular on here.

I have ten of the EBL 18650 3000mAh (claimed) protected (again claimed) cells for a while now. I've used the EBL AA, AAA and 9 volt batteries for a long time and like them better than others I've had so I tried the 18650's.

I decided to unscientifically check them out as I only have rudimentary test equipment that being a Fluke 87 III DMM against the only reasonably comparable cells I have which are Nitecore 2300 mAh.

I loaded two brand new single 18650 (501b) single T6 flashlights (each light has only one mode that being high, I dislike multi mode lights) with one each fully charged EBL and a Nitecore.

I used them both simultaneously over a couple of days not recording the on time of each, just like I'd use them around the house, garage, car or yard. My longest on time was about 8 minutes, the shortest several seconds, always turning them both on and off at the same time and generally (but not always) allowing them to cool before the next on cycle.

I did not use a third light for a control to determine if or when the two test lights began to dim. What I decided on was to arbitrarily end the test when I "thought" I had sufficient flashlight on time to warrant checking what the cell voltage was I pulled them and recorded it.

I re-charged the two cells and swapped the batteries to the other flashlight to make sure an individual flashlight wasn't discharging more rapidly than the other and repeated the general use type test I did previously.

What I found was that over the same on time in both lights the EBL cells discharged ~.2 of a volt LESS than the Nitecore 2300 mAh cell given the identical on time both experienced in each flashlight.

So, IMO the EBL cells easily perform as good or better than the Nitecore 2300's. Are they REALLY 3000 mAh? Likely not but I'll continue to use them.

BTW, I got mine on Ebay for less than the Amazon price.

Last edited:

gnappi

Newly Enlightened
Update to previous post. I did the previous test a few weeks ago, and over the past couple of days I have been doing the same type of test but dropping the cells to 3.2 volts. Both (the EBL was a different cell from the same batch of 10) dropped to exactly 3.2 volts with the same power on time.

I recharged them in my Xtar VC4 and at full charge the EBL showed 2362 mAh and the Nitecore showed 2255 mAh. I can't know how well down the road the EBL's will continue to work but considering I paid around $1.65 for the EBL and over $9.50 for the Nitecore, I'll continue using the EBL's.

Maybe one of the wowie zoomo labs can test them?