Eiger or Eiger Ultra ?

marinemaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi,

I am interested in getting either the Eiger or the Eiger Ultra. I will be using regular AAA or Eneloop. I see that the head on the Eiger is .5 and Eiger Ultra is .75
So not much bigger .25 difference so about .12 in each side. Does not seem that much. Does anyone here have both and can compare or even better post some beam shots ?
I am looking for flood and throw. On Peak site it says the Eiger Ultra head throws 3 times as far. Is the beam still some flood ?
Also, how does the Eiger Ultra carry on a key ring ? Is there a significant difference between the two heads when EDC ?

Any input appreciated.

Dances with Flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is quite a bit of difference between these two Eiger heads, but that difference is really most significant only when higher performance 3.7v lithium ion batteries are used - or when voltage is doubled in the incredible penlight body. At the lower 1.5v alkaline or 1.2v Eneloop voltage there won't be much throw in either case. Bear in mind that different optics have been available, ranging from narrow to medium to wide, and this does matter. There is even a mule for maximum flood. Seriously, you can't have both flood and throw in such a small light, but both Eiger heads allow plenty of side spill. The Ultra can be had with the medium optic which is a very good compromise and which I imagine would best meet your specs. For key ring carry both heads are just fine. However, that Eiger Ultra in brass is on the heavy side (though I've happily carried one every single day since it was first introduced).

marinemaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the reply. You right with the 1.2 or 1.5 volts there won't be much throw. I did order the regular Eiger, standard model, standard head. SS might have been a bit heavy, even that I like the way it looks, but will see how the HA will perform long term. I have few lights in HA and they all start the wear off after about one year. I ordered the Medium Optic and Neutral White. I hope the tint is good. I had a couple of regular AA lights from Peak but I sold them and gave as gifts. Never really got into the Peak AA.

Last edited:

marinemaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got my Eiger with the regular head. Nice neutral tint. Nice floody beam with the medium optic. Is the qtc model, I have not tested too much the qtc but works as designed. A bit long I would say. I got the lug model. So far I like it.

I noticed the head has a N stamped on it. Also the tint is very nice. I did not get a chance to do a full test run, but I am using for now some older rechargeable Panasonic AAA.

Last edited: