Elzetta Bones flashlight - Elzetta first 18650 light

matt4350

Enlightened
Exactly! Which is why Elzetta (and some other makes) owners don't object to paying more than they might for the previously mentioned Fenix. I don't personally see 650 lumens as being on the low end of things, it's perfectly adequate for clearing rooms and yards, which is why these lights are bought.

Yup, I'd rather have 650 stable lumens than that stepdown crap.

mk2rocco

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like the light, for tactical use I don't see needing much more than 650 lumens. Also single mode is almost necessary when clearing a building or other "tactical" uses.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
People, how do you manage to get in touch with Elzetta? They seem to ignore most of emails. I have sent some 5 of them and got only one responded.

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast
im going to hold off until the next batch and hope they ditch the logo... or at least change the font.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
When yours arrives Mr Fixer. I'd be interested to know if the head and body are made as one part, or two pieces glued together?
Thanks,
P

bykfixer

Flashaholic
One piece Mr Str8.

My first impression was positive. After playing around with it for a bit that did not change a bit.

To me it seemed like an 016 version of some very old favorites.

The fabled 6P and a very formidable rival back then, the TL2.
Nothing fancy. No bells and whistles. Just a good old fashioned cop light.
The tint is pretty dawg gone close to an incan with fresh batteries too.

Folks wondered about battery rattle. It's an oversized barrel. Half the crowd says "drill it bigger" while other half says "rattle sucks". Sheesh, you can't win.
Rattle don't bother mean none. Recoil does... or at least intermitant contact during recoil so....

2 cell magazine baby!!
Olight and Powertac sell them.

Fosted? Optic? Glass? What?
It's a non frosted prism that creates 3 distinct beams.

The pics were metered to show the 3. Pic one shows the pencil lead beam and the in between. Pic 2 shows the in between big ole spot and the spill.

Pencil lead and spot

Spot and spill.

How big is the module? Pushing 30mm with my analog caliper.

It's a biggy

Gasket and o-ring.

One o-ring at the other end.

It's anybodys guess what LED that is.

The light has a lockout tailcap. So when clicked to on it can become a twisty. But the clicker is about as loud as the usual Elzetta clicky gets... not very.
Holding it feels very familiar like some older lights. Plenty of grip yet should easily slide out of a holster.

I say it again, I think Elzetta hit a home run with this one.

For clarity, yes I am a PKDL dealer and yes I still prefer his FL2 over any other LED cop light out there. But I was a fan of the FL2 long before being honored with selling the stuff PK has come up with during life after that other company. Yet I'm still a sucker for a good cop light. And this one in my humble opinion is a good cop light.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Very nice mr fixer, will guess an xml2 but I am not the best at identifying leds!

No clue here either. But I figure sooner or later the question would be asked.

Edit: it's dark out now. Woohoo!!!

Ok again I metered two diferent pix to show the 3 way beam.

The pencil lead and spot pic

Total spot and spill pic.

Say you are in a city scene, with all those free lumens n shadows...

What's that moving by that shed?

FREEZE Mister!!!

Now you hear somebody jumping the fence at your neighbors house...

Eh, just a stupid cat..

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I don't own a Bravo so I cannot comment on that one.

It seems like they changed the threads a bit on the 415 Alpha and the Bones feels like that one. About the same length of time is required to unscrew it and refasten it. Like the Alpha, you need to be careful with the initial rotation, but once threads are begun it refastens very quickly.

Going_Supernova

Enlightened
Easy, gents... While Elzetta's advertising video reminds me of the older Cold Steel stuff Lynn Thompson did, they have every right to tout their product's virtues as they see fit. Doesn't mean you have to agree, or buy them. The undeniable fact is that they make very rugged, hard use lights in the U.S. And should be applauded, in my opinion, for bringing a lower price light to market without compromising their standards. They are a small company, whose products may not have the market saturation that older, more established makes do, but that does not speak to their quality or value.

giphy.gif

IMO, the Bones was designed to compete with the SF P2X Fury Tactical. I would have liked it better if it had a momentary switch as opposed to a clicky switch, though.

As far as cell rattle goes, try putting a little duct tape around the cell.

Great pics! I like it better after seeing a few shots of it. It's a little hard to tell from the photos but the beam looks pretty much like the AVS beam. The optic looks about the same, too.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mr. Fixer,
I think I'm being very dim, but have to ask.
The pencil/spot spot/spill pics, does this mean you have an interchangeable lens or are you just standing closer to the wall?
Thanks,
P

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the east coast of the yoosah. In the place wher
Mr. Fixer,
I think I'm being very dim, but have to ask.
The pencil/spot spot/spill pics, does this mean you have an interchangeable lens or are you just standing closer to the wall?
Thanks,
P

I take it more as a 3 stage beam. Pencil inner, corona middle ring, outer spill. By metering the shot, you can see the different intensities of light in the same hotspot, where the shot is normally washed out.

Last edited: