Elzetta Bones flashlight - Elzetta first 18650 light

ven

Flashaholic
Yes to my eyes definitely towards warm, would not say warm as to me(total variable) warm is more 3500-3000k . I see neutral as anywhere from 4000-5000k, going from warm side to cool side of. I would say my eyes see it as warm side of neutral. It is very pleasing anyway, around house in evening which is lit warm(house lighting). Going to try out the throw optic yet, also try out in work at some point as well. It does remind me of the neutral h2r head lamp quite a bit in temp/beam.
Olight lens
RvIwQKTl.jpg

Some other lens/optic flavours for that soft flood bias beam
qrTW8USl.jpg

ZL plus xhp50 5000k/ elzetta/L4 219b 4500k and 219c 5000k quad z2

ven

Flashaholic
Tried out the throw optic a bit (will try and get a couple of beam pics). It's a little distracting indoors with the hot spot and extra spill beam(ring). But it's pretty uniform and not as fugly as first thought. It's defo one for our door use imo or better suited for. Of course if temporarily blinding a perpetrator indoors is the goal, that would work very well. I am sure elzetta did not have searching for loose change under the couch, part of their mimd set in development. In ways(other than extra ring), it kind of reminds me of the predator warm v2.5 beam. Small tight hot spot and round spill.

ven

Flashaholic
Will try and get outdoor pics soon, till then a couple of indoor close up
Throw optic which of course concentrates the light more forward
T6Oyx8Al.jpg

Flood
uhNTYXll.jpg

Have to ignore tint and the flood looks dim due to phone balancing it down.

ven

Flashaholic
Good enough for me! Throw bias lights certainly work best when dark areas need to be reached in daylight(or artificial). Where that focused light is needed in areas shadowed. Flood just does not cut it.......literally .

ven

Flashaholic
Bones throw/spill optic, although still light out past 10.30pm, i think it caught the actual tint fairly well.
2wHyOeZl.jpg

ven

Flashaholic
I'll give Elzetta credit for their beam tint. They've chosen well.

Its so hard for me around this time of year to get any pics, it just seems to stay light for ever! That pic was 10.30pm gone and still light out..............roll on winter(j/k).

Would say nearer 4k than 5k, pretty nice and can hold its own generally against most of my other 4000-4500k flavours. Granted CRI wont be as high as the nichia's, but that apart, colours to me look good enough, its a winner.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree, it looks great! Anyone have any idea how the Bones compares to the Malkoff M61HOT?

Apples and oranges, really. The Bones has a neutral beam tint and a wide beam (roughly 9,000 lux). The Malkoff has a cool beam tint and a much more focused beam (20,000 lux). In terms of build quality, they will be quite similar.

The Malkoff will have the advantage of a low beam. I also think that the Malkoff will hold a flat, regulated output for longer on 1x18650.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
i think it caught the actual tint fairly well.
2wHyOeZl.jpg

Agreed.
It also shows the general character of the combo beam.
The car lit in the distance shows the center spot, the vastly lit area a bit closer shows what I call the outter spot and the wider area close up being lit shows the spill potential.
(The car would be in a shadow if you look closely at the landscape versus the distant sky)

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
When you described the beam mr fixer, it made sense when i checked out the throw/spill optic with the rings(so to speak , as not ringy like you get on a dedicated thrower with smooth reflector ), but with the beam in like 3 sections.

The camera struggled , my eyes could see a lot more light than the camera picked up. The garden was quite well lit in the spill. Although its not an indoor general type beam(for me anyway at 650lm), its certainly an awesome beam for fairly close to moderate distance out door. Yep, the throw/spill has grown on me quite a bit, just unfortunately not had much chance to stretch its legs much. So the flood optic has took residence for now, with most of the duty being indoor or close up(withing 30ft type uses).

I need to get it in work for some use, again with the flood optic which suits my work applications perfect..................even though 650lm is about 500lm too much lol.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The throw optic would be a good camper thing where you hear something stirring in the bushes and wonder is it Billy the bocat or Calum returning from a nature call.

For close up the Bones is just too bright, regardless of optic.
I tried the hi/lo tailcap and it did work... slightly. It did about 650 to about 500 on primaries. So for fuel savings was about the only thing I figured it would be good for. Being it's black let me know it was the hi/lo tailcap at a glance. But it is definitely a niche light.

I bought mine shortly after it came out and it was serial numbered plus 10,000. Shortly after they were sold out.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Thanks for the kind words , just tried to get a few quick pics which seem better for catching the amount of light. Just not quite the warmth though, but then there is not much colour anyway lol. The throw is definitely a little different to the more traditional type of hot spot/spill. But very usable all the same.

:)

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great pics, in one of the "throw" pics you got the two "hotspots" very nicely.
The flood pics show that it really does a nice job of lighting up the area!

ven

Flashaholic
Thank you tech, yes the throw does a nice job for sure . Super useful and very easy on the eye. Like a single mode sportac triple nichia in many ways, other than a more clean beam(no slight optic artifacts).

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
For those who don't like the graphics on the bones, Elzetta changed it to just a logo and no words. See their Instagram page for more details.

Edit: looks like they removed the post. They said they removed the words and had a modified Elzetta logo with crossed bones.

Last edited: