Elzetta- The industry's best kept secret.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
A standard flashlight painted with a yellow paint is a special edition?

A flashlight with the words "special edition" electro-pencil'd by the factory onto the body can be considered a special edition. I'd say this one qualifies as well.

In this example, in addition to the yellow Cerakote finish (paint), it has the bezel that is otherwise unique to the he Mini-CQB light.

Last edited:

monanza

Flashlight Enthusiast
What'r'u talking about man? It eats fish and climbs walls. That's why it's a Limited Edition :duh2:. Did I mention it is also an eye-searing yellow? Anyway, I'll get mine on Thursday barring any shipping mishaps. Per Elzetta, all their LEs are clicky switch only (in response to whether a high-low cerakote was possible). I guess I will have to implant hi/lo guts into the clicky.

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened
I bought a yellow one. I have a couple three cells and like them a bunch, so I might as well, right? :) Wish it were high/low, but it makes sense to just make one version if you are doing a limited number of them.

Lumencrazy

Enlightened
A flashlight with the words "special edition" electro-pencil'd by the factory onto the body can be considered a special edition. I'd say this one qualifies as well.

In this example, in addition to the yellow Cerakote finish (not paint), it has the bezel that is otherwise unique to the he Mini-CQB light.

Cerakote is a ceramic material suspended in a two-part epoxy matrix (binder) applied with a paint gun. It is, in fact ,a standard epoxy paint technology with the addition of wear resistant fillers. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zCjfqE8XME

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cerakote is a ceramic material suspended in a two-part epoxy matrix (binder) applied with a paint gun. It is, in fact ,a standard epoxy paint technology with the addition of wear resistant fillers. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zCjfqE8XME

I agree that it is an applied finish, not an alteration of the base material like anodize or ferritic nitrocarburizing. I'd hardly call it paint....which is a quite generic term for the stuff that's on my house walls and car.

Lumencrazy

Enlightened
I agree that it is an applied finish, not an alteration of the base material like anodize or ferritic nitrocarburizing. I'd hardly call it paint....which is a quite generic term for the stuff that's on my house walls and car.

Paint is a term used to describe an applied coating that sits as a protective film on the surface of a product. Unlike, for example, anodizing, and nitrocarburizing which consists of a chemical modification of the interfacial region of the actual material being treated.

Last edited:

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened
Let's just find some middle ground, and call Cerakote "Very Special Paint" and get back to talking about flashlights.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
For those looking for a more pocket friendly, but still scalloped, bezel for the Alpha, the Mini-CQB bezel is available for individual purchase.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
My question is:

Can a high/low switch be screwed into a clicky tailcap? If so then the special edition high/low is just a tailcap-guts swap away.

From my understanding Alpha tailcaps are different than normal, or is that just hi low caps?. All things being equal, with both being Alpha switches, I would almost guarantee a perfect gut swap. Makes things simpler, saves on production, lowers inventory costs.

@ thread - This is absolutely a Special edition..... The cerakote is done with what I assume is Elzetta's (exterior) amazing fit and finish. Plus the addition of the new bezel and engraving.

Do that all on your own and it would likely be nut$ for a single unit. They came up with something unique and are selling them in limited quantities. Special Edition. Knife companies do this all the time.

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the Alpha High/Low tailcap guts are unique to the Alpha due to using a different resistor. The low values are different than the Bravo/Charlie lows.

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the Alpha High/Low tailcap guts are unique to the Alpha due to using a different resistor. The low values are different than the Bravo/Charlie lows.

Yup, they use a different resistor but as far as I know the guts are otherwise the same. I haven't tried swapping them out but I don't see why it couldn't be done.

Meanwhile, I had a mail call today!

DSCF5488.jpg

DSCF5489.jpg

The Cerakote finish is definitely bright! It looks good and seems to be very evenly and thoroughly applied. It does make the surface of the light feel a bit smoother. I hesitate to call it slick, after all the body is still knurled, but it definitely has a different feel than the anodized aluminum finish. I like the Mini-CQB bezel and even ordered a separate black one to try out on one of my other Alphas. Like Grizz mentioned, it's a lot more pocket-friendly than the regular crenelated bezel.

There are a few more photos and other random thoughts here.

mckeand13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice looking 880arm.

Did they fix the damn tailcap threads yet?

I'd like to order an Alpha but will not until they leave more thread engagement in the tail caps.

monanza

Flashlight Enthusiast
My first Elzetta came home today. I love it; very engaging UI: click on, click off, repeat. :) I do have one question though, why call it a clickie when there is absolutely no click (neither in sound nor feel)? It should be called a smoothie. :D Color wise, it is easier on the eye than the pictures led me to believe. It is now pining for a baby brother in Orange and another in Red (that's like twins, eh), maybe a blue, or a burnt bronze :faint:. What to do? Custom cerakote calls for me. OK, I refuse to end up with 10 Alphas; I am putting my foot down, nine is my absolute max. :grin2:

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a flashback to the 3rd grade tonight and had some arts and crafts fun with glow in the dark paint and the LE Elzetta Alpha. Somehow it seemed fitting for such a bright yellow flashlight.

20150912165342-4ce999f7-me.jpg