Elzetta- The industry's best kept secret.

Crushmaster

Newly Enlightened
Alright, thank you. Looks like mine's fine, then, since it's not doing that...Just not used to the twisty tailcap yet. :eek:

Oh, and for anyone's future reference: I was kind of weirded out by the low mode flickering a little bit brighter when the boot was depressed, but that's how the switch functions, so it makes sense. :p

Last edited:

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened
Ordered some parts n pieces from the Elzetta site at 7:00 am today.
8:15 am receive notice it shipped...2 day priority.

Nice!

Did you track it yet? One of my pet peeves is when something is marked shipped when a company (or person on Ebay) prints the shipping label, and then it doesn't go out for a few days.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Did you track it yet? One of my pet peeves is when something is marked shipped when a company (or person on Ebay) prints the shipping label, and then it doesn't go out for a few days.

Was at the local post office at 10:15 same morning.

Now it's up to Uncle Sam.

Agreed; they had created a pittney bowes label, which prompts a 'shipped' email.
But yeah, Elzetta gets it going to you fast.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Got the stuff already... 2 day turn around.

Elzetta has Elzetta bubble wrap.

Woohoo!!

It's the little things.
And as always the order was correct, got to me fast and included their latest sticker among other swag.

Now where did I put that MaxFire? Got a lanyard ring to retro-fit on it....

Last edited:

Robone

Newly Enlightened
I received an Alpha the other day and have had a Bravo and a Charlie (both with AVS heads) for a couple of years now. The anodizing on the Alpha is different. It's flat/dull/powder coat/matte looking and feeling compared to the others. Is this the new finish on all Elzetta torches or just the Alpha's ? Or is mine just different ? Great light by the way.

the0dore3524

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received an Alpha the other day and have had a Bravo and a Charlie (both with AVS heads) for a couple of years now. The anodizing on the Alpha is different. It's flat/dull/powder coat/matte looking and feeling compared to the others. Is this the new finish on all Elzetta torches or just the Alpha's ? Or is mine just different ? Great light by the way.

I think that might be normal, mine is the same. I wasn't aware that it was different for their other lights, though.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the HA is dry, some oil can be applied to turn it a darker black color. Pretty much any oil will work, even synthetic motor oil.

One of mine was a bit dry/chalky when I received it, so I rubbed some Shooter's Choice FP-10 on it. Today there's no way to tell which one it was.

JPA261

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got a newsletter from Elzetta saying that the Alpha now produces 415 lumens but increasing runtime by 10%. Hmmm, might have to pick one up

kj2

Flashaholic
Yeah saw that too. Already had mine configured and in the shopping cart, but am also looking at a Malkoff M61-HOT.
So haven't ordered the new version.. yet ;)

Robone

Newly Enlightened
I wonder if they've actually changed anything or just trying to generate new interest in the alpha or just updating the specs. According to Mr. Flashlightguide's runtime chart they turn on at 400 lumens or so (120%) anyway. Dialing down over a few minutes after that of course. Besides it would need to be over 470 lumens for there to be a visual difference. 50% increase for a small but noticeable difference. On the site , the runtime nor candella has changed (could be an oversight ).

Last edited:

the0dore3524

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm...that's very interesting. It also looks like they updated the high/low tailcap to 15 lumens from 7 lumens. If I were to get the new tailcap and put it on my current Alpha, would it get the 15 lumens? Sorry, noob question probably, but I want to make sure.

Robone

Newly Enlightened
I talked to Dave, Mr. Elzetta himself. The upgrade/changes are only the emitter and electronics so all the modularity is the same. The candela has intentionally remained the same with a larger hot spot. The tint is the same and runtime has increased 5 minutes. He discussed the fact that you wouldn't notice the difference in output accept in a side by side comparison and even then it would be slight. So it doesn't make our current 315 models obsolete. The packaging still has the 315 on it but a note is put inside to indicate that you have received the updated version. (if you order directly from them). There's also a discount right now. And can you believe that I forgot to ask what the new emitter is ?

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I talked to Dave, Mr. Elzetta himself. The upgrade/changes are only the emitter and electronics so all the modularity is the same. The candela has intentionally remained the same with a larger hot spot. The tint is the same and runtime has increased 5 minutes. He discussed the fact that you wouldn't notice the difference in output accept in a side by side comparison and even then it would be slight. So it doesn't make our current 315 models obsolete. The packaging still has the 315 on it but a note is put inside to indicate that you have received the updated version. (if you order directly from them). There's also a discount right now. And can you believe that I forgot to ask what the new emitter is ?
This is the politically correct answer. For all intents and purposes, the old ones are obsolete.

Robone

Newly Enlightened
This is the politically correct answer. For all intents and purposes, the old ones are obsolete.[/Q

I must apologize. The sentence in my post about not being obsolete is my thought. That is the only statement that was not from him. However it would take more than a 33% increase in output for there to be any noticeable difference, correct ? It seems to be a 50% increase needed. Of course you're absolutely right !!!! I'm just trying to feel better about the one I just bought a week ago from a third party. I have many torches that are 1000 lumens + but that doesn't mean that the ones with lesser output are obsolete (no longer used ). Obsolete= no longer produced ? YES. Obsolete= no longer used ? I'll still use it.

Last edited: