Elzetta- The industry's best kept secret.

JPA261

Flashlight Enthusiast
Answered above. The high/low tailcap will not increase the output on the 315 model. All modularity remains the same.

So are you saying that the high low will still be 315 lumens and not 415?

Robone

Newly Enlightened
So are you saying that the high low will still be 315 lumens and not 415?

Sorry, I did ask and was told that the high /low tailcap is the same and would not increase the output on the 315 version.

JPA261

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, I did ask and was told that the high /low tailcap is the same and would not increase the output on the 315 version.
Hmm, That is strange. Well, might just buy a clicky version then. Thanks

Robone

Newly Enlightened
The change is the emitter and the driver so none of the tailcap varieties are different thus would not cause a change in output. So if we have the 315 that's what we get, no matter the tailcap.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
....and if we have the new 415, then that's what we get.

The old low was 7 lumens, and the new low is 15 lumens....no matter what high/low tailcap is used.

I may prefer the 15 lumen low enough for an upgrade to be worthwhile. I'm somewhat surprised that the new hotspot is even larger than the old one....which was very floody.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I did not know they could make it even 'floodier'...
Wow!

It sounds like the resistor reduces output to a percentage of full output. Same percentage in the new version as the older one perhaps?

I liked the 7 lumen low. Great 'battle action' map reader without giving away your position.
How many times are we gonna need that? lol. Hopefully never.

But 15 will probably be useful in more everyday real world scenarios.

nmiller

Flashlight Enthusiast
I talked to Dave, Mr. Elzetta himself. The upgrade/changes are only the emitter and electronics so all the modularity is the same. The candela has intentionally remained the same with a larger hot spot. The tint is the same and runtime has increased 5 minutes. He discussed the fact that you wouldn't notice the difference in output accept in a side by side comparison and even then it would be slight. So it doesn't make our current 315 models obsolete. The packaging still has the 315 on it but a note is put inside to indicate that you have received the updated version. (if you order directly from them). There's also a discount right now. And can you believe that I forgot to ask what the new emitter is ?

Discount?

JPA261

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah why did Elzetta need to do the discount now?! I just bought the new surefire EB1 a couple days ago and now a new Alpha. Oh well, glad they did it though. Saved me some miney

Skaaphaas

Enlightened
I discovered a crack in my Alpha's TIR lens today. Don't even know where it came from, haven't dropped or even used this light in ages.

Used it tonight for the braai (grilling meat, only more manly) and appreciated the tint again.

Robone

Newly Enlightened
So I received my 415 lumen Alpha today. The hotspot is much larger and the tint is not as warm. It actually appears to be the tint of the AVS heads. BUT, it has problems. Flicker on high, two low modes ?, did I say flicker ?..... Got an RMA but I have to pay for shipping !!!!!! I haven't had the light an hour, the light has problems out of the box and I have to pay for shipping. Very unhappy. To me it's not "Warranty" if it's BRAND NEW and is faulty. Sorry and thanks.

les_garten

Newly Enlightened
So I received my 415 lumen Alpha today. The hotspot is much larger and the tint is not as warm. It actually appears to be the tint of the AVS heads. BUT, it has problems. Flicker on high, two low modes ?, did I say flicker ?..... Got an RMA but I have to pay for shipping !!!!!! I haven't had the light an hour, the light has problems out of the box and I have to pay for shipping. Very unhappy. To me it's not "Warranty" if it's BRAND NEW and is faulty. Sorry and thanks.

Did you buy it directly through Elzetta?

JPA261

Flashlight Enthusiast

That stinks, mine just shipped. Did you get the High/Low tailcap? I got the clicky tailcap so I hope that doesn't happen with that style.

Robone

Newly Enlightened
That stinks, mine just shipped. Did you get the High/Low tailcap? I got the clicky tailcap so I hope that doesn't happen with that style.

Yes, high/low and I tested it with the other high/low Alpha tail that I have.