Elzetta- The industry's best kept secret.

les_garten

Newly Enlightened
Yes and I called and got an RMA number.

I would agree, they should pay the freight back. Take a video proving it has an issue. Post it here and call them and renegotiate if you can't live with the $5 freight.

GoVegan

Enlightened
That stinks, mine just shipped. Did you get the High/Low tailcap? I got the clicky tailcap so I hope that doesn't happen with that style.

JPA261,
I seem to recall that you weren't happy with your last Elzetta Alpha, you back for another go with one?

haha yep just did a search and yes now I remember you sold your last one as you weren't happy with the 315 lumen older version not having enough of a hot-spot. Yeah I was also concerned about the same thing so haven't pulled the trigger on a Alpha for the last 6 months. I was concerned about the candela only being 1900, as I'm coming from an EDC'ing a Streamlight Protac 1AA for a couple of years and then the Protac 1L for the last 8 months. Really wasn't happy with the flickering on the Protac 1AA (both of them although 1 was much worse). I was very happy with the 1L until about a few weeks ago where I guess I had the dreaded tailcap come loose just a few degrees issue and it looses electrical connection then only flashes on for a split second until tightening the tailcap (I think ForrestChump and bykfixer also reported the same problem), that and the unreliability on the 1AA models made me want something more reliable. For a while I've had my 1L programmed to high only as I need it to come on high every time, in fact it literally saved my life 1 week ago (story for another day).

Anyway I had been expecting the Alpha to be updated any time soon and I think I'll be happy with the current 415 lumens especially the added runtime! I also decided on the Click tail cap (high only). I was going to order last night but was too tired then I see Robone's post this morning. Very disappointed to hear that Elzetta are still shipping out lights with flickering issues, that could probably be solved by 60 seconds of testing before shipping. Dave should be getting his staff to pull out every one from the packaging and test them. This is not what I would expect from a company that prides itself on making the toughest and best engineered flashlights on the planet.

Now not sure if I should wait or what. :(

BTW are you using this as a tactical pocket duty light, or off duty, do you intend to pocket carry or use the speed clip?

Well that was a lot of typing, normally I read the forum everyday, but can't be bothered to login. :)

GoVegan

Enlightened
Yes, high/low and I tested it with the other high/low Alpha tail that I have.

Robone,

Sorry but could you please confirm if the new one that you just had delivered and was flickering, was the issue with the body/head or the High-Low Tailcap? I.e. was the new Alpha still flickering with your old High-Low Tailcap?

I feel for you, that's really too bad.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
JPA261,
I seem to recall that you weren't happy with your last Elzetta Alpha, you back for another go with one?

haha yep just did a search and yes now I remember you sold your last one as you weren't happy with the 315 lumen older version not having enough of a hot-spot. Yeah I was also concerned about the same thing so haven't pulled the trigger on a Alpha for the last 6 months. I was concerned about the candela only being 1900, as I'm coming from an EDC'ing a Streamlight Protac 1AA for a couple of years and then the Protac 1L for the last 8 months. Really wasn't happy with the flickering on the Protac 1AA (both of them although 1 was much worse). I was very happy with the 1L until about a few weeks ago where I guess I had the dreaded tailcap come loose just a few degrees issue and it looses electrical connection then only flashes on for a split second until tightening the tailcap (I think ForrestChump and bykfixer also reported the same problem), that and the unreliability on the 1AA models made me want something more reliable. For a while I've had my 1L programmed to high only as I need it to come on high every time, in fact it literally saved my life 1 week ago (story for another day).

Anyway I had been expecting the Alpha to be updated any time soon and I think I'll be happy with the current 415 lumens especially the added runtime! I also decided on the Click tail cap (high only). I was going to order last night but was too tired then I see Robone's post this morning. Very disappointed to hear that Elzetta are still shipping out lights with flickering issues, that could probably be solved by 60 seconds of testing before shipping. Dave should be getting his staff to pull out every one from the packaging and test them. This is not what I would expect from a company that prides itself on making the toughest and best engineered flashlights on the planet.

BTW are you using this as a tactical pocket duty light, or off duty, do you intend to pocket carry or use the speed clip?

Well that was a lot of typing, normally I read the forum everyday, but can't be bothered to login. :)

I had a lot of trouble with the ProTac EMS. But I put some pipe dope on a few threads and now it stays tight. Such a shame a potentially great light like the ProTac series is plagued with o-rings that crush over time allowing the tail cap to loosen so easily.

The bare end of the light rests in that little groove.
Great for a 'lockout' feature but some of their lights have issues with fit and a slight loosen of the tailcap interupts contact.

But btt..speaking of plagued by;
I had read Elzetta resolved the flickering issue in the 315 model of the Alpha.
Mine did not flicker for the first few weeks.
I noted a slight rotation on low setting would cease the flicker. My spare one did not ever flicker.
Elzetta offered to fix it. But I put on a tailcap from a Powertac Warrior, which starts on low, gives me 4 brightness levels and the sideswitch momentaries high strobe.

Plus, a skull cracker setup allows it to tailstand. It now serves as a bedside table light. Perfect 2am brightness with ability to insta-strobe while I reach for (you fill in the blank) if need be.

GoVegan, if you have not pulled the trigger on the new Alpha, consider PK's new one. The PR-1. Starts on high, has a way better throw than the Alpha and coming soon Lego stuff like shrouded tailcap for standing and deeper reflector for more throw.

Last edited:

JPA261

Flashlight Enthusiast
JPA261,

I am going to try the new 415 lumen version. Really like the tint but trying to find a pocket clip is a pain. I recently like the thyrm switchback and really use to it now. So I may give the Alpha another go around with the switchback.

I plan on using this light as an off duty/back up light.

I also just bought the upgraded Surefire EB1 300 lumen model, but lacked runtime. So want to see how this compares in runtime.

Last edited:

GoVegan

Enlightened
KK, yeah will def be interested to hear your opinion of the new Alpha when it arrives, especially as you had the older version and because of your perspective from your line of work. Yep I saw that you bought the upgraded 300 lumen EB1, I normally pay attention to your posts and along with a handful of other members (you all know who you are) as you guys only go for good quality lights, none of the cheap stuff that is so often recommended on this forum. lol

JPA261

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well thanks, and that's good to hear GoVegan. I'll definitely let you know what I think.

Robone

Newly Enlightened
Robone,

Sorry but could you please confirm if the new one that you just had delivered and was flickering, was the issue with the body/head or the High-Low Tailcap? I.e. was the new Alpha still flickering with your old High-Low Tailcap?

I feel for you, that's really too bad.

Yea it was flickering with both tailcaps and the 315 was fine with both. I sent it back this morning. Shipping was $3.59 so I can't whine too much. I called first to confirm that I was to pay for shipping and was told yes but they usually throw in extra batteries upon return. So that makes it right I suppose. By the way I did compare the two last night. As mentioned it is 5000k or so on the tint and the throw is the same but you have a much larger area of light at that range. There's no real defined hot spot on either one unless you're white walling it. The spill is a little brighter too. Didn't get a chance to identify the emitter before I sent it off but it's obviously a larger one. I'm thinking XP-L ?

JPA261

Flashlight Enthusiast
Robone,

So did you experience the flickering when you were switching from high to low? Or was it just doing it when you lightly press it?

Robone

Newly Enlightened
Robone,

So did you experience the flickering when you were switching from high to low? Or was it just doing it when you lightly press it?

Both. When turning on in high there's a dip down and back up. One time at turn on but every time for a half second or so. From high, while on and turning to low - all kinds of flickering of inconsistent patterns. Even having a lower low and ramping back up. Turn on from low and same flickering and lower low/ ramping, etc. All of this happens with a full click or half press, both tailcaps and both tested on other alpha. It's weird because the first time I turned it on I thought that it was just at that point in the "twist" position that was causing it. You know on these types of light with the twist tail or head , that position you can find by playing with it and twisting really slow that it seems to flicker back and forth between high and low ? Yea......not it!!!!

Robone

Newly Enlightened
^^ Have you tried a different battery?
Perhaps a spring stretch?

Tried different batteries but did not try a spring stretch. I did look in and feel it. I even visually compared the two Alphas spring length. Just a cursory type of thing. That said, I'll find out early next week (they should receive it Saturday) what the problem is.

scout24

Flashaholic
Can someone tell me the bezel diameter of the Alpha? Maybe compared to an HDS, or a 6P? And, does anyone know where the custom engraving would go on the light? Thanks... :)

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Can someone tell me the bezel diameter of the Alpha? Maybe compared to an HDS, or a 6P? And, does anyone know where the custom engraving would go on the light? Thanks... :)

Alpha:
Bezel OD is 29.29mm+/-.
Bezel threads onto a 26.90mm +/- OD opening.
Opening for light output is 17.13mm+/-.
Bezel is female and fits over a fixed on male threaded head.

Now if you want to engrave Johnothan Stephen Hickenfusse...got me.

But say you ya want to put "Steve Brown" or perhaps some initials...

These are the only flat areas on the 315 model.
The word Elzetta is smaller on the other side.

6P:
The Z head is 31.66mm OD+/-
Head threads onto a 28.49mn+/- OD opening.
Opening for light output is 24.95+/-..
I'd same for engraving it as the Alpha. A smooth area at a right angle of the logo on the body at both ends.
Or on the Z head if you choose to.
Bezel is male and twists into female opening.

I noted my lens has a crack on the outside edge. It's polycarbonate. So that is odd.
I figure either from over tightening the bezel or from various totrture tests. The one that comes to mind was when I repeatedly threw it at a tree under hand knife throw style, tail first until I hit the tree with the switch in just the right spot to turn it on. Since it only took about a dozen throws, my arm was holding out and the tree was looking ok I did that to turn it back off. Arm was sore for a week and the tree has wounds now.

Or maybe it was the time my neighbor and I tossed it against his wooden shed at a human silouette target pretending to be David vs Goliath?
He still laughs and says "dude when I tell my fishin' buddies that light never flinched they laugh and say man yall city boys are crazy"...

Last edited:

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can someone tell me the bezel diameter of the Alpha (1.134")? Maybe compared to an HDS (1.00"), or a 6P (1.246")? And, does anyone know where the custom engraving would go on the light? Thanks... :)

The engraving is on the opposite milled out side from the one that says Elzetta Alpha and the serial number...so one side Elzetta, Alpha, serial number, and the other side has Elzetta and engraving. The Elzetta font size is smaller on the engraved side, to make more room for the engraving.

Last edited:

Skaaphaas

Enlightened
I noted my lens has a crack on the outside edge. It's polycarbonate. So that is odd.
Like so?

CEF9E59F-3086-45C8-997E-C05A3B53FD8A_zpsipigpxrx.jpg

My local agent is replacing the lens for me, mailing it to them today.

No torture tests on mine. Must be from overtightening

Last edited:

JPA261

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice Skaaphaas!!! Thanks for doing the torture test on your light. Haha

What pocket clip are you housing for that? Raven concealment?

Skaaphaas

Enlightened
Very nice Skaaphaas!!! Thanks for doing the torture test on your light. Haha

What pocket clip are you housing for that? Raven concealment?
No it's Mr Bykfixer that did the torture tests. Me, I mollycoddle my gear.

The clip is a Raven, yes. It's not great, but it's the best I could get in sunny South Africa.