Elzetta- The industry's best kept secret.

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure, but the 2 x 18500 cells work great. The Charlie is good for 3 x CR123A cells. So I bet the AVS head is safe to about 10 volts at least. I wouldn't personally push 12Vs.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
3 x 16340 LiFePO4 like the K2 Energy LFP123 is an option as well for the stock(not bored) Charlie. So is the voltage limited lithium ions like the Tenergy 3.0V. Compared to CR123A's, you only get about half the regulated runtime but, at a brighter, better regulated, output and they can be recharged hundreds of times. The LiFePO4's don't have a protection circuit and are very stable so, they should be a more reliable and safe option over the Tenergy's but will likely get a bit less runtime.

Last edited:

Beard Man

Enlightened
3 x 16340 LiFePO4 is an option as well for the stock(not bored) Charlie. So is the K2 Energy LFP123's. Compared to CR123A's, you only get about half the regulated runtime but, at a brighter, better regulated, output and they can be recharged hundreds of times. The LiFePO4's don't have a protection circuit and are very stable so, they should be a more reliable and safe option over the K2's but will likely get a bit less runtime.

Isn't the K2 Energy LFP123 and LiFePO4 is the same thing ?

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Isn't the K2 Energy LFP123 and LiFePO4 is the same thing ?

Yes, they are both Lithium Iron Phosphate chemistry. Sorry, I misspoke and will edit my post. I was talking about the other type of CR123A replacement which are normal Lithium Ion but, use a voltage limiter on the PTC. Tenergy is one of the companies that makes them. Here they are...

http://www.tenergy.com/30264

Last edited:

Beard Man

Enlightened
Yes, they are both Lithium Iron Phosphate chemistry. Sorry, I misspoke and will edit my post. I was talking about the other type of CR123A replacement which are normal Lithium Ion but, use a voltage limiter on the PTC. Tenergy is one of the companies that makes them. Here they are...

http://www.tenergy.com/30264

Thank you, appreciate it !

So , K2 Energy LFP123 don't have a protection ?

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you, appreciate it !

So , K2 Energy LFP123 don't have a protection ?

No problem:thumbsup:

No, they are just standard LiFePO4. Lithium Iron Phosphate doesn't need a PTC because it is much more stable then other lithium chemistries. I haven't tried the K2 Energies because they were harder to get when I was looking. I have a few of these...

http://www.tenergy.com/30263

They work well but, keep in mind the capacity is a lot lower then a Primary CR123A. The K2's listed capacity(if it is accurate) is higher though so I may try them one day.

Last edited:

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can see here that the K2 Energy LFP123's get a respectable 33minutes of regulated runtime in the Charlie AVS. They also offer more output and better regulation(more flat) then CR123A Primaries although they only offer a little more then half the regulated runtime. You have to be careful with them though as they don't offer near as much of a taper after they drop out of regulation. So, once you notice the output starting to dim, you need to change or charge them right away.

Bored-Elzetta-Charlie-Runtime.jpg

LightTheDark

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone have both a Hi-Only as well as a hi-low tailcap for a bravo/Charlie unit? Wondering if the hi-only can be easily converted to a hi-low.

Thanks!

Dicaeopolis

Enlightened
I have an Elzetta Bravo with the Malkoff M60F and I really like it. Seems very well made. I use other throw lights quite often for my job, but that Elzetta is my nightstand light. Someday, I may try a new one with the AVS head.

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone have both a Hi-Only as well as a hi-low tailcap for a bravo/Charlie unit? Wondering if the hi-only can be easily converted to a hi-low.

Thanks!
I haven't seen a high only tailcap but you would either need the h/l tailcap or the internals from one. I don't think you could rig something up yourself. Finding parts, drilling, etc; you might as well buy one or find someone selling one.

Elzetta recently had a 20% off sale, those would be the times to buy .

I have an Elzetta Bravo with the Malkoff M60F and I really like it. Seems very well made. I use other throw lights quite often for my job, but that Elzetta is my nightstand light. Someday, I may try a new one with the AVS head.
The avs head is a great head standard or flood. The output is close to white, so if you like warmer tints, than i wouldn't get one, otherwise they are great

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I have a hi/lo and hi only for an Alpha and it is possible to build one, but it aint a simple thing, like infernal said.

Basically a tiny rod (inside a resistor ring) stays pushed outward (away from the switch) via a small spring that reduces the current flow and when the tailcap is twisted tightly it pushes the pin inward (towards the switch) thereby allowing full current flow.

Last edited:

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
When he says tiny, he means tiny. Definitely not a lot of room to work with.

If this design is anything like the malkoff h/l, there needs to also be a special insulator around the pin. This is why i mentioned just buying one either new or used, possibly a trade.

Definitely possible but probably not worth the time to do it yourself IMO

LGT

Enlightened
Been using my newly arrived alpha313 for a few days. First impression was a flawless anodized body.
Second impression was the neutral tint being just what I expect a neutral tint to be (compared to other lights I have.)After repeatedly dropping light from a six foot height onto wood deck to turn on off, third impression is "this is a tough light." I also like the simple soft press for low, harder press for high. Or the just low or high tail cap setting.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast