Elzetta- The industry's best kept secret.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am in the Elzetta thread, correct?:thinking:

Somehow I have worked my way up to 1 Charlie, 3 Bravo's (only 1 with AVS), and 1 Alpha 315. 1 Bravo and 1 Charlie, bored (by yours truly) to be able to actually accept 18650 protected cells. others are currently stock bodies. Sadly my bored Bravo was initially purchased from oveready but I couldn't use any of my panasonic, lg, keeppower protected cells. Only my AW protected would fit but I am not paying $20+ per cell.

Sorry, but what's wrong with using unprotected batteries? When I notice the brightness go down I check the battery (16650 in my case) and recharge it. Never managed to overdischarge a battery. And this is probably the main reason I stopped buying protected cells — I prefer not to pay for something I never use (sorry, sorry, lights themselves do not count :D).

Last edited:

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm the same as you Vad, I've gone over to unprotected as I've had a few PCBs fail on me. Also, I really don't like being left in the dark.
The only thing that worries me is using them in series. I've now bought a charger that will do a capacity test to keep it a bit safer.
P

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm the same as you Vad, I've gone over to unprotected as I've had a few PCBs fail on me. Also, I really don't like being left in the dark.
The only thing that worries me is using them in series. I've now bought a charger that will do a capacity test to keep it a bit safer.
P

I guess multicell lights feature their own overdischarge protection. For example, my several years old TN32 first drops off high modes and later — starts a warning blinking (3 times in a row with 1 minute interval) when its battery cage total voltage drops to 9V (3V each cell).

Regarding Elzetta (Bravo in my case) — multicell (2xRCR123) load produces brightness oscillations (900 <-> 600 lm) when each battery voltage drops to 3.414V. Just cannot do not notice that :)

Last edited:

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am in the Elzetta thread, correct?:thinking:

Somehow I have worked my way up to 1 Charlie, 3 Bravo's (only 1 with AVS), and 1 Alpha 315. 1 Bravo and 1 Charlie, bored (by yours truly) to be able to actually accept 18650 protected cells. others are currently stock bodies. Sadly my bored Bravo was initially purchased from oveready but I couldn't use any of my panasonic, lg, keeppower protected cells. Only my AW protected would fit but I am not paying $20+ per cell.

I'm sure your machinist skills are up to snuff, but aren't you worried about removing too much material from the host? I sold my bored out Charile, but I remember being frustrated initially that it would accept only AW unprotected cells. Later on, I observed that OR had cut into the threads about as far as I'd be willing to go.

Your Charlie tube would be the counter example that proves me wrong, of course. If you have an opportunity, would you mind posting a photo of the threads?

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been using unprotected 18500 Sanyo cells for a few years now. No issues at all. I pay close attention to the cell voltage and keep the cells matched up. As soon as I see a slight output in lumens, I recharge.
I prefer the 16650 cells in my Bravo. They work fine for around the house stuff.

Kamerat

Enlightened
My dear alpha fell 60-70 cm onto its butt, i.e. the high low tail switch. It didn't like the meet with the bathroom tiles and the light has decided to only show me high. Very disappointed.

Elzetta replaced the Alpha High-Low tailcap. The pin was damaged after the mentioned fall. Thanks to Elzetta for hassle free and great customer service.

Jose Marin

Enlightened
Anyone ever modify the throw optic on the avs head to make it more of a uniform spot rather than the fried egg beam it has factory? I know there is a flood optic but id rather still have some throw.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone ever modify the throw optic on the avs head to make it more of a uniform spot rather than the fried egg beam it has factory? I know there is a flood optic but id rather still have some throw.

I've never tried to modify it, but I have tried to replace it with various carclo optics. Never had any success. After living with the standard AVS lens for some time, I've come to terms with its beam pattern.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have settled the issue another way: Elzetta AVS with flood lens + Surefire Fury in another pocket :p

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Elzetta Bravo AVS with a Malkoff Tricap. The finish doesn't quite match, but for those less aesthetically sensitive, it adds just the right amount of length to balance it in hand. I always felt like the Bravo was a tad front heavy and a little short for my grip. The anti-roll characteristics are outstanding. And now it can tail stand! Of course, this sacrifices the low beam, but I don't use the low setting much on this light anyway. Elzetta's switches are nice, but I prefer the shrouded soft press.

IMG-1030.jpg

Did any of you ever need to contact elzetta support? Which email did you send a message to? How was the service? I already sent some emails to them but no response. One month since the first contact ... :(

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Did any of you ever need to contact elzetta support? Which email did you send a message to? How was the service? I already sent some emails to them but no response. One month since the first contact ... :(

One week max any time I've contacted them but....
I make sure the title stands out in a positive way from the rest of the crowd of emails that clutter the inbox of companies...
Honey attracts more flies than vinegar and all that. Elzetta has a small staff who stay in the field a lot. So time spent answering emails is not one of their strong points.

Gene Malkoff is rare treasure. It seems he can build flashlights, eat lunch and answer emails at the same time.

really, the title of the email is important ... I will try one more time with an even better title ... I agree with you. malkoff is the best company in post and pre sales service I have ever had contact with. for me this defines how much my next purchases will be.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
really, the title of the email is important ... I will try one more time with an even better title ... I agree with you. malkoff is the best company in post and pre sales service I have ever had contact with. for me this defines how much my next purchases will be.

Try emailing Wade. The info mail box is a graveyard for lost emails. I have unanswered emails there more than a year old.

Last edited:

XR6Toggie

Newly Enlightened
I emailed Elzetta once when I was working nightshift and I approximated US time to be business hours. I had a reply from them within a couple of hours and that was to the info account. I used the title 'Elzetta to Aus' which probably stands out a little bit more than a lot of emails.