Elzetta- The industry's best kept secret.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Thanks for the tip.
I've had the (gen 2) 113 in my cart eleven-teen times or so then changed my mind at checkout.
But 30% off? Sold.

Gen 3: think Malkoff Body Guard in an Alpha body. 800+ for 10 seconds then slides down to 500+ for 30, then steady for around 30 minutes.
50 lumen low with an imr RCR.
CR123 starts at 535 for ten seconds then down to 435 and a steady, gentle taper to around 75 minutes.

New feature is double click strobe like a Stinger/Strion. They say do not use gen 2 hi/lo or hi/blink tailcaps as the new model will kill those.
They use the same verbage to describe the beam as the Bones so it's probably a nice throwey beam like the 415 was. Arrives with a CR123.

Last edited:

AstroTurf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the tip.
I've had the (gen 2) 113 in my cart eleven-teen times or so then changed my mind at checkout.
But 30% off? Sold.

Gen 3: think Malkoff Body Guard in an Alpha body. 800+ for 10 seconds then slides down to 500+ for 30, then steady for around 30 minutes.
50 lumen low with an imr RCR.
CR123 starts at 535 for ten seconds then down to 435 and a steady, gentle taper to around 75 minutes.

New feature is double click strobe like a Stinger/Strion. They say do not use gen 2 hi/lo or hi/blink tailcaps as the new model will kill those.
They use the same verbage to describe the beam as the Bones so it's probably a nice throwey beam like the 415 was. Arrives with a CR123.
nice!!!

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was going back and forth for an hour or so last night. Only it seems as if the HC may be the old XML-2 in a deep reflector. If it is at least XPL-HI, then I may be more receptive to the idea. Someone pick one up and let us know what we have here :)

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Just curious, but why does it matter which LED it has?

One thing about modern LED lights is they seem to strive for a broad beam with bright spill, which kills ones night adapted peripheral vision. I'm glad to see Elzetta striving for a light that can reach out farther. If for no other reason than to step back in time to a period where throwey LED lights did not do that.

Don't know if that's one of the factors in why they chose to produce this High Candella (HC) option yet it could be a side affect from it. My Bones and Bravo AVS have a beam that does a decent job at softening the far edges so I would think the HC would be even better at that.

A 4mm lens should be pretty durable in regards to say, driving in a nail with your flashlight, but I wonder how scratch resistant it is. If it does get scratched up one could wet sand it with headlight lens restore products and get it back pretty close to new looking.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
When the Alpha 415 first came out they offered a copper version. I bought one, played with it a few days and put it back in the clam shell to keep it like new. It also went back into the shipping box along with the sticker and sticky notes they came with back then.
Later the Bones was acquired. Don't remember the release history but do remember I bought mine after the copper Alpha 415. I remember thinking the Bones beam was like the Alpha 415's big brother but never actually pulled the copper one back out to compare.
Today a black 415 (model 113) arrived and man oh man I like that one. I like the Alpha 315 but between the flickering hi/lo tailcap and a freak parasitic drain that one collects dust anymore. Yes about 45 days with no use and the battery would be dead.
Now the Bones and AVS Bravo I own have 3 distinct beams. A hot spot, a mid-spot and a spill. The Alpha 415 has a distinct spot and a spill. The spill reminds me of Gene's XP-G2 M61's yet with a more throwey spot. The tint is slightly cooler than the Bones 650/Bravo AVS 650. Noticeably warmer than the Alpha 315 and the tip of the cone beam reaches out way farther.

Anyway, if anybody is on the fence about an Alpha 415 grab one while you still can. And as a bonus they are 30% off (ie $105) with $0 shipping over $99. I'm sure glad I did.

Dicaeopolis

Enlightened
The new Elzetta Alpha Gen3.

Elzetta have recently backtracked on so many of their original design philosophies. 3 modes is no longer the all important "binary" tactical interface. lol.
Poor old Dave Barnett, must be turning over in his grave. (just a guess so TIFWIW).
I ordered the Gen 3. I didn't know it had strobe mode. I thought that was a different tail cap. I guess I don't keep up on what is going on. Is Dave Barnett, no longer with the company? "Turning over in his grave." Did he die?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Numbers-wise it says 1900 cd.

F9-B50-B44-7-A6-A-4002-8935-BE450-E65-DF4-D.jpg

Just before dark

6-C17820-B-E5-A5-4614-8-BA3-C9-ED892-DC280.jpg

The Gen 2 Alpha on high

E4018900-F866-430-C-8531-DF622-A6-E1326.jpg

Bravo AVS 650 to compare.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
It has a small circle that throws pretty good with a nice spill that does not ruin night adapted vision on the outside edges as badly as a brighter light with a more evenly dispersed beam.

Great for outdoor use like locating a perp in the bushes where the 315 version put out a nice wall of light that was great for things like a warehouse raid.

I included a photo taken with an AVS to show that the entire scene is evenly lit with that one where the bright area in the Alpha beam is more narrow at a distance. The AVS tapers off nicely at the edges but at a much wider angle than the gen 2 Alpha.

For ID of an unknown dark object figure around 100 feet, maybe less. Say you need to know if it's a skunk or just a black cat…… But if it's not a really dark object, such as a bobcat versus a neighbors cocker spaniel the distance you can ID the object is much farther.

Last edited:

Dicaeopolis

Enlightened
I received my Alpha Gen 3 today. Just tried it so far with the CR123 it came with. Nice and bright with good throw and spill. I prefer the tint over the Gen 2 I have. My Gen 2 has a yellowish tint. I have the High/Low tail cap and as far as I can tell there is no way to activate any type of strobe. It out throws the Gen 2. My Gen 2 has a wider and dimmer hot spot.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Based on what folks are saying it sounds like Elzetta has gone with a cooler beam on this newest series of the Z-Line lights. It's kinda like the lights for 2021 are no longer a Sherman tank that whistles the Andy Griffith theme song but instead has reverted to the Batman theme song.