Emisar D4

Esko

Enlightened
Re: Noctigon Meteor D4

So, this is like a fiery little brother of Meteor. Any news about the big brother that was supposed to be released more than half a year ago? I wonder if the challenges turned out to be too difficult to solve and project got cancelled.
As far as I know, M44 (13500lm) project aborted, in real world usage with the naked eye at ~5000 lumens increase output is insignificant. not worth for the time & money.
M4hi project retains, 8000lm, 1,1000,000 CD, not sure it will change in the future.

I recalled that the target was a lot more than 10000lm and more than 1000000cd and when announced some 9-10 moths ago, Hank was afraid that it couldn't be released before Christmas (2016).

So... He had 2 projects? And the thrower project is still alive?

TCY

Enlightened

Vinh has ordered a D4 as a testing sample. I'll definitely grab a D4vn if that ever becomes a thing:twothumbs

Keitho

Enlightened

Vinh has ordered a D4 as a testing sample. I'll definitely grab a D4vn if that ever becomes a thing:twothumbs
That will be very interesting...the stock D4 already has a great driver, high output, and a bunch of LED choices. He might be able to slightly improve heat sinking and give another few LED choices, and pot the driver, but his considerable skill and creativity might result in only a marginal improvement.

TCY

Enlightened

That will be very interesting...the stock D4 already has a great driver, high output, and a bunch of LED choices. He might be able to slightly improve heat sinking and give another few LED choices, and pot the driver, but his considerable skill and creativity might result in only a marginal improvement.

Output and driver wise I'm happy with the stock one, I just hope Vinh would offer a R9050 4000K 219c flavour so I can grab one without having to buy a soldering iron and learn how to solder for just one light.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast

Improving the heatsinking might prove difficult. The light already comes with a 4.5 mm thick shelf under the star. I'm not sure how much room is between the shelf and the driver though. Perhaps there is enough room for small slug. If Vinh wants to improve this light my suggestions would be:
* new LED choices including high-CRI 219C
* Firmware tweeks. Perhaps add some more presets, such as triple-click to 40% or something like that. In stock form, the UI is outstanding. However, it is also open-source.... meaning it's quite tweekable.
* Replace stock star with Richard's offset star. In the stock star, All the LEDs are mounted at the same angle. This creates a square-shaped corona with some LEDs. Richard of Mountain Electronics sells a compatible quad star in which each emitter is rotated 11.5 degrees with all emitters at different angles. His star completely eliminates the square corona and gives a smooth circular beam pattern.

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast

* Replace stock star with Richard's offset star. In the stock star, All the LEDs are mounted at the same angle. This creates a square-shaped corona with some LEDs. Richard of Mountain Electronics sells a compatible quad star in which each emitter is rotated 11.5 degrees with all emitters at different angles. His star completely eliminates the square corona and gives a smooth circular beam pattern.

Doable, but Richard's mcpcb is thinner than the stock noctigon board, so you'd need a spacer.

yarney05

Newly Enlightened

I agreed above comments! The Feature-rich Driver/UI make D4 really shine. Infinite brightness ramp works better & easier than any Magnetic ring, 100% of the 7135 regulator & Tactical momentary are also very useful. I love the green one:D
zcamera-20170804_162309.jpg

What clip are you using in this photo?

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast

Doable, but Richard's mcpcb is thinner than the stock noctigon board, so you'd need a spacer.
Agreed. But making a spacer out of sheet copper isn't hard. I've already done it with three D4s.

cclin

Newly Enlightened

I recalled that the target was a lot more than 10000lm and more than 1000000cd and when announced some 9-10 moths ago, Hank was afraid that it couldn't be released before Christmas (2016).

So... He had 2 projects? And the thrower project is still alive?
I think we talk the same project, all the information just estimate/evaluate # on the paper. I read it from Chinese Noctigon Meteor discuss group.
What clip are you using in this photo?
Sorry, I have no ideal. I have a whole lot of flashlight parts in the drawer, I can't remember what & where this pocket clip came from???

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast

Little. Yellow. Different.
5339096975_03d68cb366_z.jpg

Whoops, wrong thread. This is more like it. :p
kxRcNvD.jpg

don.gwapo

Enlightened

Got my green xpl-hi 6500k today. This thing got toasty really fast but the light it emits on turbo is astounding. Mine have memory mode which is a plus. It outshine my Zebralight S6330 which is my brightest light but not anymore. Love it.

TCY

Enlightened

I recommended the D4 to a friend of mine who happens to be a flashaholic too. He looks at those photos on intl-outdoor and says: "Geez that thread is bad, I'm gonna pass."

He is so going to regret that decision.

ven

Flashaholic

Today was a good day....not only did I get another sportac triple nichia in the post, a ZL sc63w but a D4 219c as well. What can I say, luckily I had a vtc6 at hand in work to try out the D4. Nice perfect white beam, perfect smooth ramping up/down. Hot.......wow crazy hot in maybe 15s or so to step down/ramp down to manage the heat. Amazing how hot and how fast it controlled the heat. The firmware is special for sure . The light itself is very nice , nice ano/design but slippy feel due to the lack of knurling. Flip side it feels smooth/nice in hand and hard to put down.

Optics are perfect clear, body/ano of a high quality that makes the price of his light a must have. Will post a few pics later as my phone and photobucket have fell out ......

TCY

Enlightened

Congrats on the perfect tint. My D4 goes a bit blue/purplish when going past the 100% 7135 point, but everything else I'm very happy about. Definitely a must have for flashaholics.

ven

Flashaholic

Thank you TCY, been playing around with it in work, my vtc6 cell when popped on the charger showed 3.6v....................did not take long!

xdayv

Flashlight Enthusiast

That's unfair Ven... you gotta play 2. Oh well, 2 is one, 1 is none haha. How's the heat at max?

ven

Flashaholic

That's unfair Ven... you gotta play 2. Oh well, 2 is one, 1 is none haha. How's the heat at max?

Crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!! There are differences in the xpl HI/xp-g2 and 219c...............219c running the hottest the quickest. Maybe 15s +or - 5s depending on if your indoor or out on a cool night. However it manages heat amazingly, never experienced such trick firmware to control the crazy heat. After 15s-20s or so, steps/ramps down a bit, still toasty so it steps down again and ramps back some more. I witnessed around 4 or 5 step downs/ramps within a minute or so. What i could only presume with no meter, anywhere between 300 and 600lm ish(pure guess here). Any small light will have to step down from say 1000lm................just has to as it will get too hot. This manages the heat spot on. What i like with the UI is simply press hold for moon, keep hold and it will ramp from less than 1lm to 3800lm in 2.5s............smooooooothly.

I will be getting another 1 or 2 for sure, just wanted to make sure the light was worth it and shipping was fine. If you want a light similar in size to the compact ZL's, but with 4x the output....................can be used for EDC and/or just fun! Its a must for $40, in honesty, if it was $80 i would say the same.

If heat is a big issue, then xp-g2 maybe a better option with 30s of run time :grin2: Me , i dont care about 15s or 30s, i care about colour temp/tint first. So the 219c was my 1st choice, simple as that.

In other words Dave, if your considering................just get one, you wont regret it.

torchsarecool

Enlightened

I must get this light. XPG2 4000K to Match my meteor Sounds good, though i may try nichia one more time (i wasnt sold on the last one) Decisions decisions...

ven

Flashaholic

I must get this light. XPG2 4000K to Match my meteor Sounds good, though i may try nichia one more time (i wasnt sold on the last one) Decisions decisions...

You must:naughty: the xpl HI should be a nice choice to, tbh i dont think you could go wrong with any of them............Turbo is short lived in seconds, so just pick your favourite flavor as you will see more 1000lm and less than above generally(unless your flashlight use is 15s blasts).