Emisar D4

ven

Flashaholic
True, you get a good 1hr 30m of 350lm down to 250lm(eyes wont be able to tell the small drop over that time)on that specific chart(not sure how exact it is in actual lumens).

fneuf

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all your replies guys!
Is the D1 more able to maintain a specific level than the D4?
A Zebralight, while definitively more costly, could be a better choice for constant light output rather than an Emisar?

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is not, they both use the same driver and only has the ability to regulate up to 350ma which is somewhere in the neighborhood of 125 lumens. The D4 might be ever so efficient as 4 emitters spreading that load is slightly better but not noticeably so at these drive levels.

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
Correct, although the Zebralight doesn't come close in terms of peak output, the more sophisticated driver is much more capable of maintaining a steady output, as long as it stays cool.

There's graphs in this review showing that. Most of the test graphs are recorded with a fan on the light.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...650)-Review-RUNTIMES-BEAMSHOTS-VIDEO-and-more!

You might say the D4 has the more sophisticated driver as it can do both regulation and direct drive where as the Zebralight can only do regulation ;)

JordanK

Newly Enlightened
Now that I've played with my D4 (Nichia 219CT 90CRI, 5000K) for a few days, here are my top 10 observations:

• The 18350 tube makes for a better EDC for carrying in your pocket. The light is darn sexy with the short tube.
  • Running an Aspire 18350, the output is lower than with an 18650 but you can run it on full for close to a minute before it gets too hot to hold.
  • Loosen the tailcap or lock the D4 (6 clicks) before putting it in your pocket unless you want a hole accidentally burnt through your pants and/or your leg.
  • Don't even briefly glance at the lit end when on full power...Doh! (I bet everyone has done this at least once...hehe)
  • Full power inside the house pisses off your wife!
  • Two fully charged Sony VTC5A's or two Aspire 18350's isn't enough for a night out ;)
  • The new definition of moonlight mode is "low enough to stare at the lit end"
  • Might need a second one.
  • The UI on the D4 is so good it makes all my other lights boring.
  • Still wondering if I can light matches or start a campfire with this beast.

Happy Friday!

Jordan

Agpp

Enlightened
Direct drive:barf:. Sophisticated lights stopped using that back in the 90's:crackup:.

I certainly wouldn't say that D4 has a more sophisticated driver than Zebra.
But I wouldn't say it has a worse one. These are just tuned differently.
Zebra is nearly all about efficiency.
D4 driver is about a nice compromise between efficiency, price, size and output with a strong emphasis on output.

That said, I'd love to see a good buck + FET driver to get a good mix of efficiency and peak output, though for a high price.
About as efficient as Zebra (maybe more because xhp35 efficacy ain't great).
Slightly better output than D4 (because D4 FET could be better).
Similar size to Zebra (and larger than D4).
Higher price than either though....

Last edited:

noboneshotdog

Flashlight Enthusiast
I certainly wouldn't say that D4 has a more sophisticated driver than Zebra.
But I wouldn't say it has a worse one. These are just tuned differently.
Zebra is nearly all about efficiency.
D4 driver is about a nice compromise between efficiency, price, size and output with a strong emphasis on output.

That said, I'd love to see a good buck + FET driver to get a good mix of efficiency and peak output, though for a high price.
About as efficient as Zebra (maybe more because xhp35 efficacy ain't great).
Slightly better output than D4 (because D4 FET could be better).
Similar size to Zebra (and larger than D4).
Higher price than either though....

I'd buy that!

tom6

Newly Enlightened
The tube for 18350 battery is the same for D1 and D4?

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might say the D4 has the more sophisticated driver as it can do both regulation and direct drive where as the Zebralight can only do regulation ;)

My comment about the sophistication of the Zebralight driver is not a knock against the D4. They each have different specializations.

The beauty of the D4 is in a way it's simplicity - not much gets in the way of electricity flowing between the battery and the emitter, and what is there is apparently all high quality stuff. That said, it also is a good feature in my opinion that the 7135 regulator was added for low power use, too.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well my D4vn with XPG PDT LEDs came in the other day and I can compare it to the D4 with Nichia LEDs. I think I prefer the XPG PDT version because it's still fairly floody but also has a good amount of throw. It definitely makes me not feel like I need to crank up the brightness quite as much which will make the battery last longer. I like both of them, but I'm probably going to primarily carry the D4vn.

It also came with an interesting paint job. It's green but textured rather than being smooth. I really like it! Gives a nice grip.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
My black N219C version finally came today. Despite being incorrectly addressed, the post office got it to the right mailbox.

This is definitely a brilliant light, literally and figuratively, and the 5000K 219C's just exude clarity.

Unfortunately, it's my first 18650 powered light. I don't know how I'll be able to maintain realistic expectations for the format in the future!

After all the rave reviews for the light, I'm happy to say it is not disappointing. As soon as I had tried it out briefly, I put my spare battery on the charger, because I know I will need the opportunity to play some more tonight.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
My black N219C version finally came today. Despite being incorrectly addressed, the post office got it to the right mailbox.

This is definitely a brilliant light, literally and figuratively, and the 5000K 219C's just exude clarity.

Unfortunately, it's my first 18650 powered light. I don't know how I'll be able to maintain realistic expectations for the format in the future!

After all the rave reviews for the light, I'm happy to say it is not disappointing. As soon as I had tried it out briefly, I put my spare battery on the charger, because I know I will need the opportunity to play some more tonight.

I bet you'll come to appreciate more humble and long running, regulated 18650 powered lights in the future.
For a really good, functional comparison with the Emisar's driver,
consider saving for an 18650 Zebralight next.

I haven't had the pleasure of messing with an SC600, but after receiving an Emisar D1 neutral HI, and seeing some useful comparison pictures, I'm really happy with a D1 neutral HI and an H600Fw (with headband and clip) as an all purpose combo.

D4 and H600F (floody) are remarkably close in beam pattern, the D4 of course can dump 4x more lumens and amps at once, and has infinite ramping, but the H600F has programmable levels that get me right to where I'm ramping to with the D4 anyway, to around the 1000 lumens mark that is.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
ZL's , some quite a bit more compact than the D4 which impresses me quite a bit. In fact, even now i still can not get over how compact ZL's actually are. Its crazy! Although not a direct comparison, i find both lights fit different roles for me personally. Both can certainly be justified in ones flashlight family/collection/tools. The xhp35 4500k is very nice, very bright as well!
3Bl9Os3l.jpg

Compared to 16340 fed Haiku
vqONqjdl.jpg

Decent amount of light, sipping frugally at the mah, ZL have to be considered for a compact long lasting light tool, an actual EDC light that runs on 18650 fuel for me. I do carry other 18650 lights (EDC), but for me ZL have changed the game.
fhv28lSl.jpg

Although not as efficient on higher levels(over 140), the D4 is still a force to be reckoned with. Its more of a crazy WOW light, but can still be used as a tool. As long as you dont ramp too far,(DCD) double click disorder :D is kept under control(yeh right!) Then for me it can be a very useful tool, UI works great in many applications(work or play).

IMO it more than likely wont replace a zebralight for ZL fans, but it could make a great companion................Maybe similar in looks/style in ways, but beams,LED choices and UI are different enough to justify several of each.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that although the D4 is a cool light, ZL is a much more practical option for EDC with their better quality materials, much tougher anodizing, lighter weight, smaller size, no PWM, full regulation, potted electronics, and warranty. But, ZL is kind of in a different class and you pay for it. Sometimes "budget lights" have their appeal. I know personally I would be much less crushed if I accidentally damaged or lost a $40 D4 which could subjectivity make it a better beater/work light.

Last edited: