Emisar D4

mightysparrow

Enlightened
Re: Noctigon Meteor D4

:party::rock: , mightysparrow, sony vtc5a, vtc6 and samsung 30q flat tops are good choices for the D4(pretty much in that order). I even use the older vtc5(not vtc5a and old 25r with good results).

Yep! you need several cells for this beast, 2-3 even, ideally carry one of the spares in another D4 or D1;) But a few double clicks to 100%, you know testing how hot it gets and the step downs etc. Soon brings a high drain into the mid 3v's! Have fun, dont forget you can tweak the driver temp settings(calibration is usually off as not calibrated :laughing:) So you can tweak, 10 clicks and hold, set to max, set to your hand pretty much(by this you just keep switch pressed through the little strobe/blink(release here for max 70 setting, or keep pressed for.......) part and into the 100% output, release when light is toasty to suit your uses)

I just edited my post, above, to clarify that I meant that I tried the Sanyo GA button-tops before trying the new GA flat-tops I bought when I bought my D4 from Mountain Electronics. The button-tops didn't work. The flat-tops worked fine.

According to Richard of Mountain Electronics, several button-top cells do work with the D4. I have only tried the Sanyo GA button-tops, not the others.

Yes, you're right - this little monster will go through charged cells quickly on its higher outputs, so it's good to have several charged and ready to go. I will be buying more flat-top cells - probably the Sanyo GAs for longer run-times at the moderate outputs.

ven

Flashaholic

The sony vtc6 makes a good choice, less sag than a GA, so will hold voltage better, even used on 50% its still around 2000lm give/take. Also when measured, the vtc6 are near 3200mah iirc or above spec, GA near 3300mah...........add a few amps load and the vtc6 are quite ahead. So although the GA is rated 3500mah, the vtc6 still makes a better choice for this light imo.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've had a Sanyo GA in mine for a month or so now. The battery check is reporting 3.8V. It's noticeably not as bright on a non-full GA compared to a VTC5A, but still pretty impressive.

However, this light is really useful even staying mostly in the regulated range. The relatively floody beam is great for close to medium-range work.

I'm glad I picked up a VTC5A for fun. I use up that battery disproportionately faster because it begs you to keep playing with turbo more than the GA does.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the D7 turns out to be. If it has a tripod socket, it will be tough to choose between a D7 and a BLF Q8. I might hardly use my 120V halogen worklight anymore if I buy either one of those.

ven

Flashaholic

Yes, looking forward to what the D7 brings to the party, sure be keeping an eye open for any release or info:)

I find the 350ma level pretty much spot on for most tasks/uses, be it home or work. But damn that short cut to 100%, i just have to double click almost every time i switch it on! Just never grows old:D

mightysparrow

Enlightened

The sony vtc6 makes a good choice, less sag than a GA, so will hold voltage better, even used on 50% its still around 2000lm give/take. Also when measured, the vtc6 are near 3200mah iirc or above spec, GA near 3300mah...........add a few amps load and the vtc6 are quite ahead. So although the GA is rated 3500mah, the vtc6 still makes a better choice for this light imo.

All right then! I guess I need to pick up a couple of VTC6 cells!

MSGinMD

Newly Enlightened

Just wondering how long shipping takes when ordered from International Outdoor Store?

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast

What is D7 ?

It's not officially announced yet, but Hank Wang, the guy behind Emisar, has said on another forum he is planning a 7 LED light with 3 x 18650 batteries. He hasn't said much more than that, and since I assume he is swamped with demand for the existing lights, I suspect we'll be waiting several more months before we see anything new.

Just wondering how long shipping takes when ordered from International Outdoor Store?

Mine took about 3 weeks.

jfhrtn

Newly Enlightened
I was just looking at the line on my D4 and noticed it looked like there was some oil under the lens. Took the lens it and cleaned it along with the top of the optic. I noticed while I had it off that the is an oring between the bezel & lens but noticed there is nothing between the lens & optic. Only my 3rd day with the D4 so still learning and doing as much as can. Shouldn't there be an oring between the lens and optic also or is there supposed to only be one between the bezel and lens?

Also I have noticed the head on this D4 doesn't get to hot to hold. I'm using Samsung 25r batts and have set the thermal regulation to max. The light will blink for low voltage before it ramps down for heat. So far from what I can tell everything works flawlessly though. I will post up a beamshot of the D4 with the quad Nichias beside my D1vn with SST 40 SD. My D1vn gets considerably hotter than the D4. I got a D4vn in the tube to me so I will have something to really compare it to. Does anything sound weird about this D4 not getting really hot pretty fast?

The comparison shot below is the D4 Nichia on turbo with a fresh 25r battery next to my D1vn SST 40 SD on Turbo with a fresh LG MJ1
02b8e16922c852c287bb6409955e3639.jpg

ven

Flashaholic
My D4 219c gets ridiculous in 15 seconds, so not sure whats going on there. In fact i dont have any light that gets hotter faster than my D4 219c. The cool beam on the left presumably the sst40, the beam on the right looks 4000-5000k on my screen. Could it be the xp-g2 version? maybe 5000k? Little hint of rosy in there.............

My D4 ramps down from around 15s or so and it is aggressive, maybe for the next 30s or so. Double clicking to 100% for a 2nd time makes it super toasty. I measured over 80oC at the head!!!! OUCH

Cobraman502

Enlightened
My D4 219c gets ridiculous in 15 seconds, so not sure whats going on there. In fact i dont have any light that gets hotter faster than my D4 219c. The cool beam on the left presumably the sst40, the beam on the right looks 4000-5000k on my screen. Could it be the xp-g2 version? maybe 5000k? Little hint of rosy in there.............

My D4 ramps down from around 15s or so and it is aggressive, maybe for the next 30s or so. Double clicking to 100% for a 2nd time makes it super toasty. I measured over 80oC at the head!!!! OUCH

That's why I got the xpl hi version. Less heat

ven

Flashaholic
That's why I got the xpl hi version. Less heat

Yep, for me though i prefer the 219c in 5000k, i only use 100% for short blasts, in fact most of my uses are 350ma(probably 95%+). Have the xp-g2 4000k for evening easy on the eye uses.

jfhrtn

Newly Enlightened
The been on the left is the D1vn SST 40 and the beam on the right is the D4 219c. Should have specified which was which. The camera made the 219c look a lot warmer than 5000k. I will have to pick up or order a different brand battery. Maybe a high drain efest or some VTC 6's to see they will get some extra brightness out of it. These 25r's are only about a month old. Could hit up a vape shop for some high drain flashlight batteries haha

ven

Flashaholic
25R should be up to the job, 20a cells and still decent today. Unless not genuine 25R but not sure where you bought them. There are plenty of fake/copies out there unfortunately, that would explain the lower output but a guess.

jfhrtn

Newly Enlightened
All the cells I got now came from illumn so I feel like they should be genuine. Haven't ever had any problems from there. When the D4vn comes in I'll compare the two are see how they compare. The D4vn is coming with XPL HI 4000k leds which I think I'll really enjoy. The 5000k is a bit cool still with dark adapted eyes. I appreciate you helping me make the decision on the 4000k leds