• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Emisar D4vn - Smallest 18650 Quad Thrower

ven

Flashaholic
@ven I appreciate the info and the you on using them separately. I will likely use the D1vn when I need a torch with a good bit of throw exclusively now. Then use the D4vn for every day tasks and up close tasks. Probably won't see much time on high/turbo unless I get the itch to see that wow factor haha. It's going to be nice to have a light that won't way out colors in up close tasks. Great info on the selection of tints you just posted up. Might end up with a Nichia torch in the future likely another quad with different led's. Been wanting to try them out eventually. A aaa light with Nichia would be a good starting point I feel

Check out the Lumintop TOOL, these come with a 219b 4000k and are very nice! The ano TOOL starts not much over $10, cu and ti versions can often be found on sale($20-$30 ish at times). When it comes to EDC type uses , or even work uses (so close up stuff). Nichia really does win for me, be it 219c 4000k-5000k or 219b 4000k-4500k............love them all! If your feeling brave, get vinh to throw 4x 219c 4000k in a D4vn...........it may become an all time fav! Only down side would be other lights just might not cut it................honest;)

mightysparrow

Enlightened
The 219c gets pretty toasty in 15s or so, not sure on the xpl HI but would hazard a guess your still in seconds not a minute. So for me, i go off colour temp/tint over sheer output, as with any of the choices................its for a short blast anyway. Yes, the 219c 5000k is a white(not really a tint to it), colours look accurate and not exaggerated like a warmer temp can do. For me, i see 4k as a warmer side of neutral, 5k for the cooler side of neutral. If you want clean and accurate colours, 219c 5k, if you want to add a little warmth to it, the xpl HI 4k. Honestly i think you would be happy with either, but going off your preferences the 5k may be suited to you the most. The HI 4k does give a slight rosey or warmth to the beam, the 219c keeps it clean and a white if makes sense. Of course our eyes no doubt will see things slightly different, 5000k is sure a safe option if your not sure.

Thanks, ven! I think you are giving me good advice - I'm sure with multiple LED's, the 219c version will throw plenty far for such a small light! I recently bought the Maratac aluminum single-AAA light with the Nichia 219c during a two-day sale. It hasn't arrived yet, but I'll bet I'll like it a lot.

I think I should treat myself to a D4 modded by Vinh and celebrate my upcoming birthday.

Happy Holidays to all, and happy 2018!

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll chime in just in case it helps too. I love how punchy the XPG PDT version is so that on lower modes I can see farther more easily. It's also enough flood that it's my favorite light to have around with me all the time, even for close up stuff. However, the Nichia version I have is definitely more pleasant close up due to its smooth beam that is super floody.

I think the XPG PDT is fairly yellow but that's also my favorite type of tint personally. The Nichia sounds like it might be closer to what you'd like to me.

I don't have any D4's other than the XPG PDT and the Nichia versions, but hopefully that helps! :)

ven

Flashaholic
Thanks, ven! I think you are giving me good advice - I'm sure with multiple LED's, the 219c version will throw plenty far for such a small light! I recently bought the Maratac aluminum single-AAA light with the Nichia 219c during a two-day sale. It hasn't arrived yet, but I'll bet I'll like it a lot.

I think I should treat myself to a D4 modded by Vinh and celebrate my upcoming birthday.

Happy Holidays to all, and happy 2018!

Cool, defo would make a nice treat for your birthday! The 219c does punch light out a decent way, floods wide too. Vinhs PDT narrows the flood and is really noticeable in the throw. There is enough difference in the beams to justify both! Guess bday and xmas presents to you now:cool:

All the best in advance, have a great holiday and may the light be with you in 2018(hopefully before as well):naughty:

ven

Flashaholic
Good point blah, yes being more punchy/throwy, you dont need the power cranked up as much with the PDT version. So you can run longer with actually more brightness on a subject.

jfhrtn

Newly Enlightened
I saw some Tools on Amazon with Nichia led's but they only had copper and To to choose from. I'll look elsewhere for some and will probably pick one up if I find one for a good price.

@ven do you have any beam shots of the Nichia vs XPL Hi 4000k?

mightysparrow

Enlightened
Cool, defo would make a nice treat for your birthday! The 219c does punch light out a decent way, floods wide too. Vinhs PDT narrows the flood and is really noticeable in the throw. There is enough difference in the beams to justify both! Guess bday and xmas presents to you now:cool:

All the best in advance, have a great holiday and may the light be with you in 2018(hopefully before as well):naughty:

ven: this thread and your help got me looking seriously at the D4vn - and as you know I was having trouble deciding which emitter to get from Vinh. I'm sure you are absolutely correct that the 219c will work best for me with my tint preference, of all the offerings from Vinh, especially because he narrows the beam nicely - giving me more throw than with the stock light and the same emitter. But it it turns out that I didn't really have to choose after all... I'm now able to procure a version with a XP-L Hi with a 5000K tint, as well, so I will enjoy both versions. I'm sure Vinh's will be my favorite - as his attention to detail and improvements are a tremendous value. I'm impressed by his website and his customer service so far. I'm excited about receiving Vinh's product.

So glad I found this thread and this light!

Vinh: I'm very impressed by the value you offer and the care you took to design your website and communicate with your customers. I look forward to receiving my D4vn!

noboneshotdog

Flashlight Enthusiast
ven: this thread and your help got me looking seriously at the D4vn - and as you know I was having trouble deciding which emitter to get from Vinh. I'm sure you are absolutely correct that the 219c will work best for me with my tint preference, of all the offerings from Vinh, especially because he narrows the beam nicely - giving me more throw than with the stock light and the same emitter. But it it turns out that I didn't really have to choose after all... I'm now able to procure a version with a XP-L Hi with a 5000K tint, as well, so I will enjoy both versions. I'm sure Vinh's will be my favorite - as his attention to detail and improvements are a tremendous value. I'm impressed by his website and his customer service so far. I'm excited about receiving Vinh's product.

So glad I found this thread and this light!

Vinh: I'm very impressed by the value you offer and the care you took to design your website and communicate with your customers. I look forward to receiving my D4vn!

Keep in mind that Vinh can put almost any led (except xhp 12v) in this light. If you have a preference, he can do it. I had him put 4000K 219c in mine and I LOVE it. It may cost a little bit more for special orders but he will give you what you want if you ask. :thumbsup:

mightysparrow

Enlightened
Keep in mind that Vinh can put almost any led (except xhp 12v) in this light. If you have a preference, he can do it. I had him put 4000K 219c in mine and I LOVE it. It may cost a little bit more for special orders but he will give you what you want if you ask. :thumbsup:

Interesting - thanks for the info! :drool:

hhmoore

Newly Enlightened
Cool, defo would make a nice treat for your birthday!
That was my thought when I ordered mine. Birthday's been and gone, so maybe it will make it in time to be considered a Christmas present.

ven

Flashaholic
I saw some Tools on Amazon with Nichia led's but they only had copper and To to choose from. I'll look elsewhere for some and will probably pick one up if I find one for a good price.

@ven do you have any beam shots of the Nichia vs XPL Hi 4000k?

I can have a go for you tonight, only trouble is outdoors everything is frozen(morning and in work right now). So colours will not be ideal outdoor . The xpl HI is very nice, you should like that! It's one of my favs including nichia flavours.

Which nichia? 219b or 219c, then 4000-5000k on top of that. Honestly they are all nice, and now are all over 90 cri. I generally find the 219b 4000k slightly rosey/warm . 4500k more a cleaner beam with less "tint". 219c 4000k a little towards yellow in tint,5000k more a pure white(very little to no tint so to speak). This is a variable, not only between LEDs, but our eyes also.

I don't know how much my phone would show in pics, not only that but difference in screen/phone/monitor calibration. Generally 4000k just adds a touch of warmth to the beam, so colours look a little more pronounced. With nichia, hi cri, colours tend to be a little more accurate over say the xpl HI ,which have lower cri (presume around 75 but not sure).

219c 4000k and 219c 5000k, pick off your colour temp preference. Both are nice, if I had to pick just one light(just 1), the 219c 4000k would just pip it.

jfhrtn

Newly Enlightened
I broke down and ordered both. Got one in XPL HI 4000k and one in Nichia 219c 5000k on the way. Just waiting for shipping notifications now. For the price I couldn't resist getting them both and seeing how they both compared. Flashoholism kicked in to haha [emoji16]. The Emisar family is growing quickly but I love the UI on these lights and the size of them. Somehow santa knew exactly what to bring this year

ven

Flashaholic
Awesome jfhrtn, you will love both of them! If there ever was a case to get both............this would be it!

ven

Flashaholic
Part of the condition is double click syndrome...................almost impossible to not double click...............just because its so much fun:D

jfhrtn

Newly Enlightened
I totally agree with the perfect to own both. It will be my first 4000k and my first Nichia at the same time. The neutral tint of my Thrunite Ti3 got me hooked on everything that's not cool white. Probably will always want cool white for any throwers I get the future though. Been super impressed with the SST40 in the D1vn for throw.

Jbraman

Newly Enlightened
Vinh any chance you will be doing any of the ti models of the d4? If so I'll wait to get one from you