Eneloops: what charger do I need? (info and discussion thead)

speedlever

Newly Enlightened
In HKJ's review and from my own experience.

The manual is not that accurate and is a bit misleading. For example the charging process does not start with LED blinking fast several times and then going solid green. My charger goes solid green straight away, there is no blinking-to-solid transition.

Thank you! I didn't think it would be that different from the CC55 charger, but you never know!

Here is the pertinent info from the BQ-CC55 guide. But I don't see anything about blinking green lights. Combining the info, the CC17 blinking green light must be the same as the CC55 blinking red light.
d1zIE4n.png

carnage

Enlightened
I did not say that or mean to imply that. I did not think your question was in regards to a charger problem at all.

The comments was more towards ProfJim. When he reply that the CC17 is out charging the CC55 is not normal, I was asking if he thinks if there might be a issue with the CC55.

I should of replied with a quote.

ProfJim

Newly Enlightened
The comments was more towards ProfJim. When he reply that the CC17 is out charging the CC55 is not normal, I was asking if he thinks if there might be a issue with the CC55.

I should of replied with a quote.
If we knew how long it took for each charger to finish charging 4 brand new AA eneloop batteries, we would have pretty conclusive proof as to which charger was under performing. I posted:
Here's a ballpark formula: total capacity divided by the charging rate = how long it will take (in hours) to fully charge a depleted battery.
In your case 627 mAh divided by 750 mA = 0.836 hour or approximately 50 minutes for the BQ-CC55 to finishing charging 3 or 4 AA batteries.
627 mAh divided by 300 mA = 2.09 hours or about 125 minutes for the BQ-CC17 to finishing charging one or more batteries.
Panasonic states the following approximate charging times for both chargers when 4 batteries are fully depleted:
  • BQ-CC17 - 4 AA 1900 - 2000 mAh batteries - 7.0 hours
  • BQ-CC55 - 4 AA 1900 - 2000 mAh batteries - 3.0 hours

carnage

Enlightened
If we knew how long it took for each charger to finish charging 4 brand new AA eneloop batteries, we would have pretty conclusive proof as to which charger was under performing. I posted:
Panasonic states the following approximate charging times for both chargers when 4 batteries are fully depleted:
  • BQ-CC17 - 4 AA 1900 - 2000 mAh batteries - 7.0 hours
  • BQ-CC55 - 4 AA 1900 - 2000 mAh batteries - 3.0 hours

From out of the packaging, into the charger it took about 2.5 to 3 hours til the last light went off. The volt reading was 1.42 to 1.48 when taking off the charger. Some of the battery was finish half hour before the last light went off. I was planning on charging the batteries when the flashlight loses the high mode from battery drain. Then I will pay more attention to the time.

Is there a way to use a digital multi meter to measure the charging amp?

HKJ

Flashaholic
Will the Aneng AN8008 that you just review work measuring this charger?

The general problem with measuring on NiMH chargers it the voltage drop, at 2A the AN8008 will drop about 0.1V, this is significant when measuring on a 1.2V battery, but it is hard to do much better.
Next problem is that most NiMH chargers are pulsing (Check my reviews) and that can make it very difficult to measure anything useful. A max/min function can be useful to capture the maximum current and a average function to show the average charge current.

The AN8008 would measure the current fine enough, but it do not have max/min or average, this makes it a bit hard to get good values.

LiIon chargers are much easier to measure on, the voltage drop in the DMM is less significant and many of them uses steady current.

carnage

Enlightened
The general problem with measuring on NiMH chargers it the voltage drop, at 2A the AN8008 will drop about 0.1V, this is significant when measuring on a 1.2V battery, but it is hard to do much better.
Next problem is that most NiMH chargers are pulsing (Check my reviews) and that can make it very difficult to measure anything useful. A max/min function can be useful to capture the maximum current and a average function to show the average charge current.

The AN8008 would measure the current fine enough, but it do not have max/min or average, this makes it a bit hard to get good values.

LiIon chargers are much easier to measure on, the voltage drop in the DMM is less significant and many of them uses steady current.

I tried a cheap Cen Tech meter someone gave me. I follow the steps in the link you posted and when I tried measuring the charger the meter reading kept on going up and down. I also think the meter can't go into the range I need to be in.

sbslider

Enlightened
From what I recall in HKJ's reviews both the BQ-CC17 and 55 use pulses of current at relatively high frequencies to charge batteries. A hand held DVM likely won't really be able to measure that.

carnage

Enlightened
From what I recall in HKJ's reviews both the BQ-CC17 and 55 use pulses of current at relatively high frequencies to charge batteries. A hand held DVM likely won't really be able to measure that.

I there any handheld DMM that can read the pulse current or do you need all the fancy equipment HKJ has?

HKJ

Flashaholic
I there any handheld DMM that can read the pulse current or do you need all the fancy equipment HKJ has?

You need a DMM with "average" function. I know it exist on the more fancy handheld DMM's (I have some of them), but I have no idea if any of the cheap DMM's have it (Suggestion for cheap meters to review are welcome, but it can be months before I post a review!).

carnage

Enlightened
You need a DMM with "average" function. I know it exist on the more fancy handheld DMM's (I have some of them), but I have no idea if any of the cheap DMM's have it (Suggestion for cheap meters to review are welcome, but it can be months before I post a review!).

Awhile ago you replied if I want a cheap Fluke my best option was to pick up the Fluke 17B+. Can the 17B+ measure these pulses current?

For a cheap DMM the Cen-Tech 90899 is cheap (people get them for free). Depends on your definition of cheap I would like to see the Uni-t UT139C and the Amprobe 510 there between $35 to $50.

HKJ

Flashaholic
Awhile ago you replied if I want a cheap Fluke my best option was to pick up the Fluke 17B+. Can the 17B+ measure these pulses current?

No, it can do min/max, but is missing average. I have a review ready of it and will post it in the near future.

For a cheap DMM the Cen-Tech 90899 is cheap (people get them for free). Depends on your definition of cheap I would like to see the Uni-t UT139C and the Amprobe 510 there between $35 to $50.

Noted.

ProfJim

Newly Enlightened
@carnage,

It sounds like you need a charger/analyzer to show the charging and/or discharging rates (and other information) for your NiMH batteries while they are in the charger. I've been using the Opus BT-C2000 charger/analyzer for several months; it is excellent and you can buy it for less than $35. You can buy the Opus BT-C2400 unit for a couple of dollars less and the only difference is that the BT-C2400 does not come with the two C & D cell adapters that come with the BT-C2000. Check out HKJ's detailed review: Test/Review of Charger Opus BT-C2000

DC-Workshop is an Opus dealer and you can buy it from them on eBay, Amazon or from their website. they provide technical support and have a one year warranty on units that they sell.

Last edited:

carnage

Enlightened
@carnage,

It sounds like you need a charger/analyzer to show the charging and/or discharging rates (and other information) for your NiMH batteries while they are in the charger. I've been using the Opus BT-C2000 charger/analyzer for several months; it is excellent and you can buy it for less than $35. You can buy the Opus BT-C2400 unit for a couple of dollars less and the only difference is that the BT-C2400 does not come with the two C & D cell adapters that come with the BT-C2000. Check out HKJ's detailed review: Test/Review of Charger Opus BT-C2000

DC-Workshop is an Opus dealer and you can buy it from them on eBay, Amazon or from their website. they provide technical support and have a one year warranty on units that they sell.

Eventually I going to pick up a charger/analyzer. I been thinking about the BT-C2000 because of the adapters but not right now.

I just to see if my BQ-CC55 is charging right, being I just bought 2 months ago.

chewy78

Enlightened
just get a smart charger listed on first page . other than a sanyo or panasonic and be done with it.