Energizer Hard case lantern MOD- Any suggestions welcome

detonateme

Newly Enlightened
I have an older incandescent energizer hard case 6V lanternt that i really want to mod with an high output LED. Problem is i am a noob to modding and am not sure of the right setup for this light. I would love something pushing several hundred lumens and possibly have a regulated circuit and multimode function. I may be a little over ambisious with my criteria here so please post any thoughts or input on the idea. I dont have a ton of cash to throw into the light so anything like those 4K lumen setups are going to be out of my range. Thanks for the help in advance. *If there is any specific thread that might be applicable to this build please offer the link and forgive me if i have missed it. I did a search for this specific light and there was nothing in terms of modding available.

Link to pic
TUF4D1H.jpg

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
You need to rip it open and take some photos of the bulb assembly so we can see what sort of mounting options you have. The problem is the bulk of the light will be plastic, and plastic plus high power LEDs dont play nice together.

I'd imagine some form of added heatsinking is in order. As for the rest I'd just go for your typical XM-L T6 + 2.8A shiningbeam driver set up, though the 6V in will he pushing thr driver at its max.

Last edited:

yazovyet

Enlightened
I would recommend staying away from teh 2.8 SB driver with 6volts. With 6v and an XM-L (or really any common LED) the driver itself will have to disapate somewhere around 7 watts, nearly as much heat as the LED. I think you would more likly want to go with something that isnt 7135 based. (an amc 7135 is a linear regulateor that is common on a lot of drivers)

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would recommend staying away from teh 2.8 SB driver with 6volts. With 6v and an XM-L (or really any common LED) the driver itself will have to disapate somewhere around 7 watts, nearly as much heat as the LED. I think you would more likly want to go with something that isnt 7135 based. (an amc 7135 is a linear regulateor that is common on a lot of drivers)

Good point. There are various drivers on DX and Kai Domain that can accept much more than 6V in. I'm unsure if these are 7135 based or not. I use a couple in some 3 series connected XM-L lights running off 12V batteries without any issues (not the 6V 71235 drivers just to be clear).

detonateme

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys, i will post pics soon to see what i am looking at. Also any more suggestions on drivers will be greatly appreciated as i am unsure of the best setup.