Eternalight prices

steve_vance

Enlightened
I can't solder, so no modding for me :(

Steve ... how can I get a DS-equipped EliteMax? They do not state anything on their site, and I am afraid that when I order with a dealer I will get old stock, which I already own :D

bernie

call the phone number on the website, ask for Todd, mention my name, tell him you're a forum moderator on CPF, he'll do it for you

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
They're decent lights. I bought one from glow bug years ago. Was the first time I'd seen PWM regulation and a whole bunch of flashy modes, complicated UI, etc.
Now that I hear they're converting to DS I might buy one. The only reservation I have is they're pretty fragile. The screws strip the case threads VERY VERY easily, so be delicate when replacing batteries.

cv3po

Banned
Hmmm,
I just visited the techass website and every model except for the top elite model is listed as out of stock? I'm actually thinking about a classic (it's the smallest 4-led model) and upgrading it do DS's. I'm sure I can find one elsewhere but just thought this was kind of weird. Mr. Vance said something about a new owner named Todd and it sounds like he's got his work cut out for him! I wish him luck tho, if they could bring the price down just a bit and stay up on the newer led's I think they are great lights.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't see how it was sold 8 years ago or gas price going up has anything to do with eternalight being overpriced. :confused:

8 years ago is about when I first got one of them. It has to do with inflation. They are still U.S. made and have not gone up in price. When gas prices go up everything else goes up - virtually everything you buy has to travel on the road on the way to market, on the way to being built, suppliers parts getting to manufacturer etc. Gas prices are one of the primary sources of inflation. My point was gas prices have more than tripled in the last 8 years but the Eternalight has gone down in price (or some have) and none have gone up in price - thus making it a good value relative to many things that have gone up in price the last 8 years.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
The lights are not necessarily out of stock but most likely the refurbished models are. Read the information on the listings more carefully. You'll notice a blue, "add to order" button on many items. The red, "out of stock" indications tend to draw more attention.

These lights have had a unique and interesting design and interface for years. They are still an original concept even today. Not a form factor that everybody likes but once you have one in your hand you can see what makes the design work. You just want to play with them and you find that have a place.

The prices have stayed pretty level over the past few years or have dropped. They indeed are American made. The price is worth it to those who want a truly multifaceted light built in this country.

cv3po

Banned
The lights are not necessarily out of stock but most likely the refurbished models are. Read the information on the listings more carefully. You'll notice a blue, "add to order" button on many items. The red, "out of stock" indications tend to draw more attention.

DOH! You are correct sir. As it turns out the only one that actually seems to be out of stock is the classic that I was interested in :shakehead
Oh well, according to my GF I still have nearly 3 weeks to go b4 I can buy a new light anyhoo. :D

Burgess

Flashaholic
I, too, would like an EliteMax model with new Nichia DS LED's.

Good luck to the new owner. :thumbsup:

Hope he logs onto CPF once in a while. :whistle:

:popcorn:
_

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not so sure that he does although I advised him to do so some months back. I have posted that I have 1/2 doz or so of these and I have never had a problem. They are used in hiking situations where I might not want to be carrying a light costing many times more and also in situations (car, workshop, etc) where I can just leave one for handy use. As I said, while I did advise him to get onto the forums once in awhile, I don't believe he does so. I spoke with him and he certainly was cordial but, possibly not as assertive as he may need to be in order to advance the cause.

Karl

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
8 years ago is about when I first got one of them. It has to do with inflation. They are still U.S. made and have not gone up in price. When gas prices go up everything else goes up - virtually everything you buy has to travel on the road on the way to market, on the way to being built, suppliers parts getting to manufacturer etc. Gas prices are one of the primary sources of inflation. My point was gas prices have more than tripled in the last 8 years but the Eternalight has gone down in price (or some have) and none have gone up in price - thus making it a good value relative to many things that have gone up in price the last 8 years.

Well you can't compare the price of electronics to gas. Gas is of limited supply, but electronics are not. I bought a 256mb usb drive a couple of years ago for $100, now I can buy 8gb usb drive for the same price or less.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are currently in the process of switching over- from Nichia CS to Nichia DS. They've been using CS for a little while now. I spoke to Todd, the new owner; he sold me 3 Derringers and for a little extra money, upgraded the 3 leds in each of them to DS.

I've always had respect for the eternaLight range and bought an eternaLight Ergo 3 Red/White (review) when they were on sale - about 3 years ago.

That was well before the Nichia CS and when we were talking about 26000mcd LEDs - some CPF'ers mod'd their eternaLight to use those brighter LEDs.

However although I also covet brighter lights -
one of the main reasons of me getting the eternalight was its low, low levels.

With newer LEDs that are probably some 3-4X brighter/more efficient means the lowest levels will be 3-4x brighter -
UNLESS eternaLight modify their circuit to give lower levels -
which by the sounds of it they are not - since it is just an LED "upgrade".

For me - I already have lots of brighter LED flashlights -
any of the Cree or Rebels will give so much more light -
I want/need a flashlight that has LOWER levels .

So modding to brighter LEDs - which most would regard as an "upgrade" -
is actually a downgrade for me
(that's why I never put 26Kmcd LEDs or later Nichia CS LEDs in).

I even got the Red/White option so I could have red LEDs to preserve night (scotopic) vision
and the dim low levels on white so they least disturb any dark adaption I have acquired ......

I even have a single 5mm white LED (2004 vintage) running on a single 2016 for a Dim LED light........ see joys of a DIM flashlight.

Last edited:

TrevorNasko

Flashlight Enthusiast
Atlanta, GA>> The Flashlight that was broken shall
The eternalights are fantastic lights and even the old unmodded ones are a great buy no matter the cost. As others have said they are a modders dream. I modded all of mine to death years ago but in light of this thread I may pick one up for old times sake. The raven 2 was the best.

MrEternaLight

Newly Enlightened
Todd is an excellent man at solving problems. Having met him several times, I know him to be of the highest integrity. Eternalight prices are are hard thing to reduce because of USA production and volume predictions.

I sometimes miss developing new lights but my newest products keep my quite busy (tapesucks.com) One day I hope I get a chance to do more light development. The most enjoyment I had was designing the Cobra light. (http://www.geardiary.com/2006/11/09/the-cobra-stunlight-review/).
It's too bad Universal Gauradian ran out of money and the thing sat on my shelf for a year before they finally funded the end of the project. The original piece had a modified Derringer controller in it with three different modes and a blink but it looks they might have removed that in production.
Happy New Year CPFr's!

-Tom

Haz

Enlightened
Do you still have the "CPF edition eternalight"?, it was the model where there are sockets for the LED, so the user can change the LED without the need to solder.

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recall reading a note on the website at one point about new product development having ceased, but someone (maybe a new entity) is maintaining the store and filling orders. Don't know if they're still producing new units or just selling off remaining stock. But it looks like there's more in stock now than the last time I checked, so that's encouraging. I still like the Eternalights, and I'm a big fan of the Zzz...Light (as is my 4-year old daughter, who's slept with one every night for the past few years).

TIP AND RING

Enlightened
I've owned over 275 flashlights. Not all at one time, of course. It's the Eternalight's that I have not sold. And I've owned most all of the CPF "names". McGiz, SF, Fenix, Arc, JB, NC, etc. etc. I've kept my share of all the CPF fodder too :D, but I have never sold a single Eternalight.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Still got mine too, and checking the price, the Eterna Max is the same price now as it was when it first came out. I got mine in a special CPF sale, and it still works though it could be upgraded with new LEDs. If you read the column at the left on the Techass site it explains new developments re the status of EternaLight.

Bill