Why are surefire prices down so much?

wbrock001

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I have visited some retailers and prices are way way way down on surefire lights...what's going on? Is this a stock reduction, or a general price decrease to try to reach more mass market? Anyone have any insight? Oh and any updates on when the rechargeable's will be released? ha ha

Thanks!

Bill

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
AFAIK, they (for the time being) changed their pricing policy. Why? We can only speculate. Before, SF's had to be sold at SF's "recommended prices"...which, kind of made sense...it protected the value of the light and the warranty. Are they trying to make up for lost business??? After their last price increase, a bunch of people dropped them. Who knows...

wbrock001

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for your insight. I guess that's good and bad...hurts resale of lights purchased before, but then the reduced resale is made up by the reduced overall price. Interesting though that a boutique brand would take such a correction. I always figured their prices were high because of the warranty, didn't mind paying something for that piece of mind.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe because they seem very overpriced if you aren't already an SF devotee.
I'm going to bite the bullet and get a couple of bored C2 bodies for the fantastic mods out there but I don't see myself ever buying another SF light -unless they un bloat from whatever markets they've been sustaining themselves on... I am not receiving any funding or funny money to buy gear with after all.

Last edited:

write2dgray

Enlightened
Also, the release of a few new models and a new line-up expected out this year to replace many models (or maybe it will be next year...).

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is Surefire changing the sizes/threads/shapes, to get away from the clone copy competition?
I'd bet on that, it's not an unusual tactic.

dosei-45

Newly Enlightened
Most likely due to:

1. Selling discontinued models at a reduced price to get rid of inventory. (Depending on what models are being sold at lower prices, this could very well be the ONLY reason for the price drop. Discontinued Surefire models are generally sold at very low prices.)

2. They are noticing that the competition has taken noticeable bite out of their sales, so they are reducing their profit margin in an attempt to be more competitive.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm guessing it's mostly to get rid of old inventory and make room for the new models. One of their shortcomings was the inability to use RCR's. I guess they are attempting to fix that with their new rechargeable line. I only consider it a partial fix because you still can't carry spares, but it's a start.

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't noticed either, some of the outdoor shops are still at the usual SF prices. Not really any SF's that I desire but I may take a look now. :)

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
With the economic downturn, and the troops coming home, they dont have any choice but to lower prices some if they want to sell lights. With less military contracts to fulfill, SF must compete more to get purchases from common civilians. With the release and price point of the Fury, they are doing a pretty good job handling the competition. Lower prices does not mean that quality has been compromised either.

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was surprised to find a couple of Surefire E2e lights on ebay for prices that were a few dollars less than I remember paying almost 10 years ago.
Jerry

DM51

Flashaholic
2 posts have been removed where members were discussing prices and deals available at individual dealers. Such posts belong in the MarketPlace, not here.

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
As others have noted, Surefire has recently benefitted from US Defense interest - with big contracts guaranteeing interest in proven, tested and thereby not cutting edge lights. As that demand subsides, Surefire needs to be more price competitive and innovative -- both of which we are now seeing.

Consumers weren't an important piece of the business recently. (A friend in the industry actually explained that some consumer interest was important as it helped justify the high prices SF charged the DoD.). Now that the consumer segment is becomming more important, it is great to see cheaper and more competitively priced lights heading our direction.

Great excuse to stock up...

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would be very upset if I spent the money on an Invictus only to find it selling for hundreds less later on. Percentage wise the dollar amount off of Surefire's list price is about the same as some of the Chinese light price drops, but how many dollars above cost does a company need to charge to make a profit on a flashlight ? A few hundred !

Illum

Flashaholic
I haven't noticed either, some of the outdoor shops are still at the usual SF prices. Not really any SF's that I desire but I may take a look now. :)

I'm guessing the prices are down from online vendors hoping to clear out old stock?
Most stores I've looked have as you said maintained or even slightly inflated the usual SF prices.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Most likely they are coming out with higher lumen/performing models finally....and need to clear out the out existing stock of manufactured lights.

Dealers who have inventories purchased before the drop will sell at the traditional rack rates to recoup their costs until they realize they'll get stuck with the stuff when the better performing stuff comes out.

Dealers getting fresh stock from the warehouses will get it cheaper, as the warehouses are being cleared, etc.

If they get it cheaper, they know they can sell it cheaper...and it will fly off the shelves until the better stuff makes the old stuff a poor value, etc.

SouthernNights

Newly Enlightened
I was surprised to find a couple of Surefire E2e lights on ebay for prices that were a few dollars less than I remember paying almost 10 years ago.
Jerry

Today a used E1e sale ended at a price I would consider high $110. Watch and see what the E2e lights end prices are.

Last edited: