Surefire Fury Intellibeam doesn't work with Surefire 18650s

dddrees

Newly Enlightened
My Surefire Fury Intellibeam works with the two 18650s I have from Thrunite but it doesn't work with the Surefire mini USB Rechargeable 18650s either the one 18650 it came with or the two Surefire mini usb Rechargeables I ordered separately. On the other hand my Thrunite TN12 works with both the Thrunite 18650s and all three of the Surefire 18650s.

I'm debating whether I want to call Surefire or not but this seems so odd to me that it won't work with the manufactures batteries.

When I just compared the physical characteristics of the Batteries the Surefire Batteries are noticeably longer by a little bit but it's noticeable and I'm thinking this has something to do with it. The spring on the Thrunite tailcup is less stiff, which may also have something to do with it. But I just don't understand why these manufacture batteries don't work in one of their flashlights.

I probably will at least call them. But I thought I would post this here and see if anyone had ever seen something like this with the Surefire Fury Intellibeam. I guess one of the reasons I'm concerned is because after buying the flashlight I've started noticing this flashlight is known to burn through it's Leds and one of the recommendations is to make sure you use only manufacturers batteries. Not sure how much that matters but I can't even use their batteries in their flashlight. These are the first mini usb rechargeable batteries I own so I'm not sure if being longer is do to this or not, although I'm thinking that might be true. However Surefire didn't even have non-usb rechargeables on their website.

Last edited:

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
This really sounds like a defective light to me, and if this situation has existed since new, I would recommend contacting SF. The light should absolutely work with those cells as delivered.

dddrees

Newly Enlightened
This really sounds like a defective light to me, and if this situation has existed since new, I would recommend contacting SF. The light should absolutely work with those cells as delivered.
I received the Flashlight about a week ago. I did want to wait until I got the two additional Batteries just a few days ago that I had ordered separately to do further testing. I emailed them this morning.

Last edited:

Raymond33

Newly Enlightened
I had a similar problem with two Surefire Fury Intellibeam, so I figure that it was a design feature. A quick call to Surefire confirmed that only a certain type and size would work. After trying many brands and sizes, I determined that the Orbtronic 3500 mAh High Drain 18650s are a perfect fit and function. Far better than those shipped with the light from Surefire. Now, that is all that I use in those lights, and they give flawless performance. In fact, one is always at my desk for every use from searching with low light for some files in the office, to taking as a security light on night walks with my wife.

dddrees

Newly Enlightened
I had a similar problem with two Surefire Fury Intellibeam, so I figure that it was a design feature. A quick call to Surefire confirmed that only a certain type and size would work. After trying many brands and sizes, I determined that the Orbtronic 3500 mAh High Drain 18650s are a perfect fit and function. Far better than those shipped with the light from Surefire. Now, that is all that I use in those lights, and they give flawless performance. In fact, one is always at my desk for every use from searching with low light for some files in the office, to taking as a security light on night walks with my wife.
Thank you for responding.

Sorry, but I am going to have to go on a rant for just a bit.

So the SureFire battery that shipped with your flashlight didn't work and they admitted this was a design flaw? They don't even sell a smaller battery. They actually sell and ship their flashlights with batteries that wont work in their flashlights?

Have any idea why I haven't been able to find this mentioned anywhere, or is it just I haven't found any mention of it yet?

Last edited:

Raymond33

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for responding.

Sorry, but I am going to have to go on a rant for just a bit.

So the SureFire battery that shipped with your flashlight didn't work and they admitted this was a design flaw? They don't even sell a smaller battery. They actually sell and ship their flashlights with batteries that wont work in their flashlights?

Have any idea why I haven't been able to find this mentioned anywhere, or is it just I haven't found any mention of it yet?

Sorry, I must not have been clear. The batteries that Surefire sent with the Fury Intellibeams did and do work. They just don't perform as long or reliably as the Orbtronic 3500 mAh High Drain with button top. This picture helps explain part of the problem.

Surefire obviously designed the Fury Intellibeam to match with their 18650 with USB charger included. That battery is much longer than most 18650s. And, they did not install a spring on the LED side, so a 18650 that has a button top is required. Many lights are designed either with two springs, or with a design so that the head will make solid contact with flat top batteries. The Cloud Defensive and Panasonic 18650s in the picture do not work in the Fury (they work perfectly in the Cloud Defensive and Malkoff lights). But, the Orbtronic works perfectly in the Fury. I am glad that Surefire designed it so that it does have the capacity to handle other batteries than just it's own. I much prefer that design to the one in the original PR1 Intellibeam that was designed for a propriety battery.

It is pretty simple to have some batteries that are set aside for a special light. And, the Surefire Fury Intellibeam really is a special all purpose light for me.

Hope this helps.
IMG_2667.jpg

dddrees

Newly Enlightened
Sorry, I must not have been clear. The batteries that Surefire sent with the Fury Intellibeams did and do work. They just don't perform as long or reliably as the Orbtronic 3500 mAh High Drain with button top. This picture helps explain part of the problem.

Surefire obviously designed the Fury Intellibeam to match with their 18650 with USB charger included. That battery is much longer than most 18650s. And, they did not install a spring on the LED side, so a 18650 that has a button top is required. Many lights are designed either with two springs, or with a design so that the head will make solid contact with flat top batteries. The Cloud Defensive and Panasonic 18650s in the picture do not work in the Fury (they work perfectly in the Cloud Defensive and Malkoff lights). But, the Orbtronic works perfectly in the Fury. I am glad that Surefire designed it so that it does have the capacity to handle other batteries than just it's own. I much prefer that design to the one in the original PR1 Intellibeam that was designed for a propriety battery.

It is pretty simple to have some batteries that are set aside for a special light. And, the Surefire Fury Intellibeam really is a special all purpose light for me.

Hope this helps.
View attachment 58834

Thanks, and part of the reason I replied initially like I did is because I wasn't sure exactly what you meant and I wanted a clearer understanding of what you were trying to say.

Unfortunately when you say they do and don't work, they simply don't work in my flashlight. The Thrunite batteries besides being shorter do have a slightly larger button top so that probably does explain why they work. However when using the Surefire batteries because they are a little longer it doesn't seem that I can get the tailcup on quite as far even when tightening it down as far as I possible can when using the shorter batteries. I can't be sure but it's definitely not as easy to screw it on and it's very possible if I had a shorter battery I could screw it down further.

Besides a bad design it also appears there maybe some tolerance issues where at least a few like mine end up not even working.

I still kind of like the Flashlight but I'm not very happy it came with batteries that don't work and I bought two more which cost $57.00 that won't work.

Thanks, I'm just waiting to see what they have to say.

Last edited:

dddrees

Newly Enlightened
In my over 40 year experience with them and their products, Surefire has had fantastic customer support. Good Luck!
Thanks

Their reputation is one of the reasons I bought one. I do look forward to seeing what they have to say though. Bad design is not the reason I bought a SureFire and besides after getting it I also found they have a history of the LEDs on this model burning out. That sounds like another bad design. I heard they will replace them when they do but it's not exactly what I had imagined finding out after I bought one. These aren't exactly cheap flashlights.

Last edited:

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
My SF Fury (non-Intellibeam) will not work with the SF red label cells, just the older black label (non-built in USB) cells.

dddrees

Newly Enlightened
My SF Fury (non-Intellibeam) will not work with the SF red label cells, just the older black label (non-built in USB) cells.
How old is your flashlight if you don't mind me asking? I imagine the design hasn't changed but figured I would ask. You didn't happen to talk to Surefire about it did you?

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
How old is your flashlight if you don't mind me asking? I imagine the design hasn't changed but figured I would ask. You didn't happen to talk to Surefire about it did you?
It's a 1500Lu model, but probably from the first few runs. It had a tail cap flaw that I went back and forth with SF, that made them use a bit of thread locker on the internal ring of the cap. But never anything about the cells.

dddrees

Newly Enlightened
It's a 1500Lu model, but probably from the first few runs. It had a tail cap flaw that I went back and forth with SF, that made them use a bit of thread locker on the internal ring of the cap. But never anything about the cells.
Yeah mine certainly isn't about the cells either. Thread locker doesn't really sound like that would cause them not to work however.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
@dddrees

I'm on exactly the same wavelength as you on this. Not only does common sense tell me that the light should work properly with the cells shipped with it by the manufacturer, but FL1 requires that their performance testing / specifications be done using the specific type of cell which is 'supplied with &/or recommended for the light', and as a PLATO member, I'm fairly certain they comply with that requirement. You're on the right track. The cells the light shipped with should bloody well work. Informing SF that they don't is the proper course of action given this is an initial as-shipped problem and the light was recently purchased new. If their reputation is well-founded, they will address the issue.

dddrees

Newly Enlightened
@dddrees

I'm on exactly the same wavelength as you on this. Not only does common sense tell me that the light should work properly with the cells shipped with it by the manufacturer, but FL1 requires that their performance testing / specifications be done using the specific type of cell which is 'supplied with &/or recommended for the light', and as a PLATO member, I'm fairly certain they comply with that requirement. You're on the right track. The cells the light shipped with should bloody well work. Informing SF that they don't is the proper course of action given this is an initial as-shipped problem and the light was recently purchased new. If their reputation is well-founded, they will address the issue.

Thank you.

Yeah, I don't see that being unreasonable. I would say I just can't come to any conclusions yet as after all there are only just a few here saying they had this issue. I actually would think I might have seen something else on this by now or got a bigger reaction if this were an issue across the board.

So I am waiting to see what they have to say first. I initially emailed them but have since found a number and may give them a call Monday. Glad that is the case as I have had sometime to think about it. If in fact they confirm it's a design issue which I still find ridiculous , I plan on negotiating at least something with regards to the batteries I purchased from their website and even the one that came with the Flashlight. At about $20 a piece these things aren't cheap. At this point they are simply unusable in my SureFire. In fact the two I bought cost $57 with tax and shipping so yeah these things aren't cheap.

I checked the Surefire Furry Intellibeam webpage and it does say it works with their 18650B which is the battery I bought. So if it's a design issue I plan on bringing that up.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you.

Yeah, I don't see that being unreasonable. I would say I just can't come to any conclusions yet as after all there are only just a few here saying they had this issue. I actually would think I might have seen something else on this by now or got a bigger reaction if this were an issue across the board.

So I am waiting to see what they have to say first. I initially emailed them but have since found a number and may give them a call Monday. Glad that is the case as I have had sometime to think about it. If in fact they confirm it's a design issue which I still find ridiculous , I plan on negotiating at least something with regards to the batteries I purchased from their website and even the one that came with the Flashlight. At about $20 a piece these things aren't cheap. At this point they are simply unusable in my SureFire. In fact the two I bought cost $57 with tax and shipping so yeah these things aren't cheap.

I checked the Surefire Furry Intellibeam webpage and it does say it works with their 18650B which is the battery I bought. So if it's a design issue I plan on bringing that up.
10-4, and this could still be due to either a design issue affecting multiple (but not necessarily all) units (tolerance stack-ups, etc.), or a very unit-specific defect with your sample. Given various possibilities, it's best to let their Product Support do their job. They might ask you to do a basic check or two, like checking tightness of a switch retaining ring (or something similar), but as I said, if their reputation is well-founded, they'll determine the cause / resolve the issue. It'll be interesting to know the root cause.

dddrees

Newly Enlightened
10-4, and this could still be due to either a design issue affecting multiple (but not necessarily all) units (tolerance stack-ups, etc.), or a very unit-specific defect with your sample. Given various possibilities, it's best to let their Product Support do their job. They might ask you to do a basic check or two, like checking tightness of a switch retaining ring (or something similar), but as I said, if their reputation is well-founded, they'll determine the cause / resolve the issue. It'll be interesting to know the root cause.
Yep, kind of what I was thinking. I do have to say however based on what I've seen on the internet so far when it comes to an issue with burned out Leds it looks like they give you another but they still burn out Leds and it doesn't appear they fixed that. So it appears they do have some design issues.

Could be something stupid I'm not doing, although at this point I don't know what that might be. I started the thread so typically I let people know what the resolution is as well.

Last edited:

rrego

Enlightened
Yep, kind of what I was thinking. I do have to say however based on what I've seen on the internet so far when it comes to an issue with burned out Leds it looks like they give you another but they still burn out Leds and it doesn't appear they fixed that. So it appears they do have some design issues.

Could be something stupid I'm not doing, although at this point I don't know what that might be. I started the thread so typically I let people know what the resolution is as well.
That is correct, they do burn up LEDs.

I actually have a RMA for a Fury DFT Tactical (one mode) due to the burned out LED.

Part of that RMA is for a first generation P2X Fury Defender that also burned up its LED 🤨

I really like the lights and hope the new Fury DFT and first gen Fury don't burn up like these first ones.

dddrees

Newly Enlightened
That is correct, they do burn up LEDs.

I actually have a RMA for a Fury DFT Tactical (one mode) due to the burned out LED.

Part of that RMA is for a first generation P2X Fury Defender that also burned up its LED 🤨

I really like the lights and hope the new Fury DFT and first gen Fury don't burn up like these first ones.
Here's hoping they did something to address that. I've seen a few instances where someone had the issue and the second one they got did the same thing although I can't say for sure how long ago it was when they got there second flashlight.

Do you have any idea how long either one had to be on before it burned out their LEDs?

dddrees

Newly Enlightened
I spoke with a customer service rep from SureFire this morning. He believes it's a tolerance issue. Since I purchased it recently I could contact the retailer I bought it from or send it beck to SureFire. He said because they are back ordered it could take as long as 30 days plus or minus a week. I may either get mine back repaired or a new one. He said he had an issue were batteries would work intermently and a simple removal of the flashlight head and cleaning of the threads fixed the problem. Given that mine doesn't even work with their battery I think it's not just cleaning the threads. He did say they had change batteries at one point and the new one has more of a button and not so flat.

Anyway I chose to return it back to SureFire. He emailed me a RMA and UPS emailed me a return label so at least I didn't have to pay for shipping. The guy I spoke with I could tell was a notch above the customer service people you speak with typically. Nice, friendly, and also knowledgeable. He said he would attempt to expedite it so we shall see.

I chose to return it even though I have other batteries that work, just figured in the long run I would prefer the right batteries to work. Especially since I have 3 new ones of those and they aren't actually cheap considering what I paid for them. The ones from Thrunite I have are older.

Given others have had this issue I don't know how common it is but it appears it's an issue that happens from time to time anyway and it just appears it's a tolerance issue but SureFire does address it when it occurs.

Thanks for your replies.

I'll try to remember to post again when I get my flashlight back.