Ever had problems with Peli M6 tailcap?

Who wants a dimer light?

• Total voters

TonkinWarrior

Enlightened
Oh, yeah! It's THE one significant problem with the M6.

When I adjust my tailcap for optimal on-off use, it "wobbles" just a tad. I called Pelican Customer Service about this, and the nice lady gave me a registration number to send it back for a factory fix. I got the impression she/they were pretty familiar with this issue, too. I haven't sent it back... yet.

I've just adjusted to its quirk. In time, I'll send it back. The problem appears to be insufficient length of the Thread section of the body vis-a-vis the tailcap Threads. Accordingly, the resulting "feel" of the tailcap doesn't inspire confidence.

FlashLightLense.com sells a replacement tailcap (see FlashlightReviews.com re the Peli M6). I've also discovered that my old Surefire 6P's tailcap works on my Peli M6. (The Threads are compatible.) Go figure.

The M6 is a great incan FL for "throw" -- at a relatively bargain price -- but it's not flawless.

matthewdanger

Enlightened
I didn't know the 6P tail cap would work and function on the PM6. Does anyone have a Z49 clickie they can try out on the PM6?

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I don't even remember EXACTLY why I didn't like the original tailcap on the PM6, but the fact that my two G2 bodies both have clickies too MAY say something...

It is a DARN bright light for it's size and price!

PeteBroccolo

Enlightened
I helped broker a sale of a used Pelican M6 between 2 of my partners. After the sale, the 2nd owner found that he was going through 123A batteries like crazy, so he sent it back to Pelican. Pelican replaced the lock-out tail-cap with a clicky type, plus threw in 8 new batteries, all gratis.

I bought a used P M6 from a cpf member, and have been very happy with it, but did not like the lock-out tail-cap. I bought a clicky-conversion kit from flashlightlens.com and have been VERY PLEASED with how easy it was to change over and how the switch itself works.

My P M6, with 2 of AW's 17670 protected cells (one in the light, the other in my spare battery pouch as back up, along with some of Battery Station's 123A batteries) and 1 DSD charger, is now my back-up always-on-the-duty-belt light.

matthewdanger

Enlightened
The more I hear about Pelican's service the more I want another M6... hmmm maybe there is a 3W HAIII in my future.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
So which M6-compatible clickie offers the most "satisfying" click (not too much pressure, not too little, no wiggle):

Pelican M6?
Surefire Z49?
Flashlightlens.com's Kroll?
Sandwich Shoppe's Kroll?

Which of these offer momentary operation?

Can the Surefire Z49 be locked out?

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perhaps this thread is very dated, but since the M6 has been revisited 1-2 years ago let me chip in some input.

Not all third-party tailcaps work on the M6 (or M1, M3 etc.) A modified Z41 McClicky only achieves 50% success in powering on the Peli. In other words, one may work but another may not.
Surprisingly, Fivemega's custom McClicky C-tailcap series seem to work nearly 100%. I only tested the round version but it simply works.

As for original switch mod, the only solution would be to go for the Kroll clicky route, but not after acquiring a compatible retainer housing.
The SS has this available but has been tested to be only compatible with pre-2014 tailcap housings. In order for post-2014 tailcap hosing to be compatible, some machining is required
https://theledguy.chainreactionweb.com/product_info.php?products_id=190

Recently I've had some custom Kroll housings made in brass. Two versions are available: one for the pre-2014 host, and the other for the post-2014 variant. The latter is backwards compatible with the pre-2014 host.
Body/tail gap length will be increased by about 1mm, but I'm now working to have the housings modified to reduce just that.

Anyway any questions etc. regardng my little "project" please let me know. Post them here.