Eveready Lithium

Norm

Retired Administrator
Not too sure if this has been posted previously. Shopping at the local Coles supermarket this morning I found these.

evereadylithium.jpg

Norm

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
$16.99 for 4 Lithiums is VERY expensive! You can get 4 Energizer Lithiums for around $8.99.
Well, Aus$16.99 is approximately US$13.35, so it ain't that bad. If you live on the farthest underbelly of the planet* you take what you can get... ;)

*Except for New Zealand, of course.

Last edited:

Norm

Retired Administrator
holy cow... $4.25 per cell?!
Works out to $3.30 U.S. a cell.
Energizer Lithiums are about A$12.00 a pack of 2 or $4.65 U.S. a cell they would be cheaper in a 4 pack but I can't remember how much that is.
We do get ripped off for most things we buy. Australia is one of the most expensive places to buy food now, it hasn't always been this way, our farmers are going broke and the two big supermarket chains just get bigger and greedier. :(
Norm

R@ndom

Enlightened
Read a thread a while ago about there being 2 types of enegizer lithiums, the 6x and the 8x. I suspect there being the relabled 6x's.

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, Aus$16.99 is approximately US$13.35, so it ain't that bad. If you live on the farthest underbelly of the planet* you take what you can get... ;)

*Except for New Zealand, of course.

Oh, I did not check. We also have Cole's in the US eh?

Norm

Retired Administrator
I was posting not because of the price, just letting folks know that there is an alternative Lithium primary, up until now you could only purchase energizers here in Australia.
Norm

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Branding trick.

Same poop, different packaging.

Buy the cheapest one.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Energizer has two different Lithium AA chemistries. The old and the new, the cheaper price will get you the older chemistry, which has a shorter shelf life and less mAh.

Actually the "Ultimate" chemistry is the "old" cells. The "new" cells are a cheaper alternative since Energizer's patent on AA Lithium primary cells just ran out and they now face competition from the Panasonic ones.

The believe the only differences between the old L91's and the "Ultimate" is a change in marketing.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
The "new" cells are a cheaper alternative since Energizer's patent on AA Lithium primary cells just ran out and they now face competition from the Panasonic ones.
What Panasonic ones?

I knew Rayovac was trying to get into the lithium primary AA/AAA game, but never heard about Panasonic :popcorn:

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually the "Ultimate" chemistry is the "old" cells. The "new" cells are a cheaper alternative since Energizer's patent on AA Lithium primary cells just ran out and they now face competition from the Panasonic ones.

The believe the only differences between the old L91's and the "Ultimate" is a change in marketing.

Maybe I shouldn't have used the words old and new since they have newly released their old chemistry, if that makes any sense.

The original Lithium AA chemistry (10 yr shelf life) was updated at some time several yrs ago to give more power and a longer shelf life (15yr). No marketing was applied to this change, the batteries simply got better. I think this did coincide with a label design change though.

Now they are re-releasing the original 10yr chemistry as the EA91 Advanced Lithium at a lower price point, and re-naming their current chemistry as the "Ultimate" L91 at the same price point. I think the patent has run out on the original chemistry but suspect the newer better chemistry falls under a separate patent.

The Eveready Lithium seems to be the EA91 type lower energy density chemistry.

What was the shelf life stated for Eveready Lithium?

Last edited:

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
... The original Lithium AA chemistry (10 yr shelf life) was updated at some time several yrs ago to give more power and a longer shelf life (15yr). No marketing was applied to this change, the batteries simply got better. I think this did coincide with a label design change though...

Here is a picture of the "old" 10yr chemistry L91 circa 2001 vs the "new" 15yr chemistry L91 circa 2006.
L91s.jpg

2009 model Advanced EA91 (old chem) and Ultimate L91 (new chem) photos can be found elsewhere or in the datasheets.
http://data.energizer.com/SearchResult.aspx

Last edited:

hatman

Enlightened
Here is a picture of the "old" 10yr chemistry L91 circa 2001 vs the "new" 15yr chemistry L91 circa 2006.
L91s.jpg

2009 model Advanced EA91 (old chem) and Ultimate L91 (new chem) photos can be found elsewhere or in the datasheets.
http://data.energizer.com/SearchResult.aspx

Is one model better than the others?

I just received an order of "Ultra Lithium AA e2 L91"....what would these be?
Thanks,

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is one model better than the others?

I just received an order of "Ultra Lithium AA e2 L91"....what would these be?
Thanks,

I don't recall the use of "ultra" in any official marketing from Energizer.

The best performance would be from recently made "ultimate" L91 batteries, which should have a use by date of 2024 printed on them. What is the date code on your batteries?

But "better" is a relative term. If I can get dtd 2022 batteries for half the price then that might be considered better.

hatman

Enlightened
I don't recall the use of "ultra" in any official marketing from Energizer.

The best performance would be from recently made "ultimate" L91 batteries, which should have a use by date of 2024 printed on them. What is the date code on your batteries?

But "better" is a relative term. If I can get dtd 2022 batteries for half the price then that might be considered better.

The use date is 2022. These just arrived yesterday from Battery Junction.

Here's the link:

http://www.batteryjunction.com/energizer-l91-20pk.html