• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Exotic Coating Service

jaybiz32

Enlightened
Just trying to understand the charges. I have a 2D mag with finned head I would like coated in nickel. How much would this cost me.

monanza

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on DLC ("C") availability/pricing.:thinking:

Definitely interested in hard coating a couple of my Ti's. Most likely will be BitZ, LF2XTi, and possibly an olight. Perhaps even a couple of HA III or chromed Arc LS 1 if the budget allows.

Not to complicate matters too much, but any chance you can do Oxygen or Chromium doping for additional color options?

StrayLight

Enlightened
Few questions:

Can you post, or point us in the direction of, photos of each of the "hard" coatings with various surface prep: machined, polished, bead-blasted? Many of the pics from the previous threads are not showing up anymore.

Do the strip/polish/customrate/bore/cleanup fees all apply to every light?

Can you estimate the "small fee" for disassembly? I have no interest in trying to take apart my LunaSol27.

I have a AlTiN Draco with some wear... worth it to replate?

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
brighterisbetter: All too familar question. See the other runs to get a better understanding how the process works. Addendum #4 added just for you :D

"*4. if you absolutely can not disassemble your light, I will do it for a small fee. But if you can I highly recommend it. Everyone should know the inside/out of their favorite toy.
"

Pardon the questions as this is my first time doing this.

So, it's preferred to send just the empty bodies, right? Will bezels be fine to be part of the bodies?

As mentioned, payment to be made after coating's done. Does that apply to shipping and handling too? Or we just send the lights now and everything will be billed in totality when it's done?

Thanks!

monanza

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can you post, or point us in the direction of, photos of each of the "hard" coatings with various surface prep: machined, polished, bead-blasted? Many of the pics from the previous threads are not showing up anymore.

+1. Strange but only the pics of interest are no longer visible:crackup:

I have a AlTiN Draco with some wear... worth it to replate?
You've successfully worn down your AlTiN Draco? You must have taken it through the wringer (good for you :thumbsup:).

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Appreciate the PM, Jonathan! Oh my. I have to get my breath.

My questions are whether it is a problem if there are any existing HA coatings (in colors, gray, black) that prevent you from being able to recoat them.

• For example, if I have a HA-III Black done by FiveMega, could that be done in 24K gold?

• Do you have side by side comparison photos of the 24K gold & Ti-Nitride?

Rommul

Enlightened
This is great.

I have some questions.

Would it be possible to have a light done without the mirror polishing. I am trying to get more of a drab/rough type appearance to the HAIII Nat as opposed to the shiny look.

BTW What is Custom Rate HR?

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im thinking of having a couple of Mags done but I am concerned
about the 10/23 deadline.
From my own experience shipping can be unpredictable, the quickest
from US to UK ... 3 days, the longest 5 weeks (and that was by Express)

Will there be any leeway for lights send from overseas in case the lights
get held up by the Post Office, Customs etc

jhanko

Enlightened
Thanks for offering this service again! I will be sending a couple of bodies and clips for Al-Ti-Nitride coating or diamond if available. I do not want them polished, as I want to retain the crisp machined edges. The parts already have a 1400 grit finish. Will this be a problem? Thanks,

Jeff

EDIT: Where do we ship these to?

Last edited:

tino_ale

Flashlight Enthusiast
As the others I would like to know if it's possible NOT to have any surface alteration done before coating (no polishing or anything else).

Also what is the machining work involved? Typically, what machining job would you have to do on a McGizmo Haiku?

Thanks for offering this. Just awesome :)

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guys, if you have question please post them in here so we can share our knowledge. Believe me no Q is outragous. What you have asked I've seen at least 2-3 times before :D

hornady708: IMHO, diamond coating is not worth the value. AlTiN is a much better solution.
However, since this a "service" if we have more than 5 members participating then "there will be diamond on those flashlights"

nfetterly: McGizmo light are pretty easy to disassemble (other than the oring compression technique).
No splash due to so many variation which makes it cost prohibitive.

xcel730: Surefire C2 is considered a small light.
Chrome is tougher than HA but it's very easily chip. The archiles heal of chrome is the adheasion layer (nickel).
IMHO, Surefire HA is one of the best, and would not recommend anything for this light (unless it's a beater).

post tenebras: Yes but why?, it's too thin.

Nake: It depends on the type of etching. If the etch is into bare metal then the coat will go directly over the etch. Harder to see the writing but still there. If the etch is on the coating (eg early Draco) that will be gone during the strip/buffing.
All Tritium must be removed. Heatgun and small flat head screwdriver are BKM.

HoopleHead: Thank you for relaying the message. Non-flashlight is a GO! We had some cool knives, watch, and even eyeglass last time.
Cost is dependent upon the # of pieces and size, pretty much the same as flashlights.

jaybiz32: eg Mag2D is considered large. Stripping and polishing are required (and included in the coating charge). Then the cost is $40.

StrayLight: Pictures ... the pictures are still available on the last two pages of the previous run.
Strip and polish is built into the cost of the coating. You'll just have to pay for the coating cost. As for electrical path cleanup, you can easily do it yourself with lye, sandpaper, and 60* file.
Draco ... A definite NO NO ... too delicate. It's hard enough to get the first coat on there. Just use it as your EDC.
As for the disassembly fee, from what I remember LunaSol 27 is oring lock mechanism, you'll need to replace the bezel oring and everything else is a piece of cake. I don't normally charge for anything that takes less than 10 mins. Otherwise it's $20/hhr for the frustration.

Zeruel: empty body is the prefered way, it sames time and shipping cost. If the light have a bezel, then it's considered part of the body. Payment are previously only accepted when I send you the bill.

LuxLuthor: So far nothing have been able to stand up to the acid bath. So your HA-III can be blinged with 24K.
I remembered we had couple M6 in the past. Have to check the old thread to see who and how. As for the Jetbeam ... hum one of the local guys here have one. I'll take a look at it during the next CPF lunch (this week).
Pic comparison ... later, but primarily 24K is deeper while TiN is similar to 14K color.

Zeruel: Sure but the HAIII might look bad after stripping. The custom rate is if you want me to machine something weird and I have no idea of yet.

stienke: Currently we only have gray and black for Type III (HA). Orange is hard but doable. Blue is not possible with this type of coating. But regardless we need more who need those color to make it a GO.

tx101: From oversea it's cheaper for me to purchase them locally for you. Another option is to purchase them, and ship it to my address. That's how we handle international order to maintain cost and time.

JHanko: If it's bare metal then NP with the polishing. Shipping address is in each member's PM inbox when ready.

tino_ale: Typically there is only machining work done for HA due to the non-conductive nature and the coating thickness.
I wouldn't dare machine over one of Don's masterpiece.

Last edited:

Dog Chaser

Enlightened
On the Eastern Shore of the Chesapeake Bay
Since you asked for questions... I'm planning to send you a Ti PD-S for AlTiN coating. If I remove the clip how hard is it to get the holes cleared for reinstallation of the clip. Or maybe I should send it to you without the clip, but with the screws in the holes? Could be a cool look.

Thanks for offering this service. My AlTiN Draco still looks new after two years and a constant battle with keys.

QtrHorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, just to make sure I understand this correctly. The coating price includes stripping and polishing or that gets added to the coating price?

Would a small light with HA coating cost, $35 or $46 ($3 + $8 + $35)?

iconoclast

Enlightened
I've been looking to get some lights coated for awhile, so this is awesome.

A couple quick questions for the question list...

It seems most pics I've seen of AlTiN'd McGizmos don't include the screws for the clip. Since those screws are 6-4 Ti, I'm assuming there's no reason they couldn't be coated too? (Assuming a disassembled light.)

Does the price change for lights that have more parts than the standard body-head-bezel configuration? (As an extreme example, think Gat-light)

Thanks. Looking forward to this.

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, just to make sure I understand this correctly. The coating price includes stripping and polishing or that gets added to the coating price?

Would a small light with HA coating cost, $35 or $46 ($3 + $8 + $35)?
Im going to take a crack at this one...What Johnatan means is that if you want the light stripped only then its $3, if you want it polished only then its $8, If you want the coating, then the strip and polish is included in the price because it has to be done to the light anyway..