Favorite budget light 2020

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Sticking with the theme of old school companies who still make low end flashlights I started out the year with an updated one that was first released in 2014, the 3aaa compact checkout counter style Energizer.

A few years back $2 would get you a 6 LED number that put out about 25 purple lumens until the Fong Ching batteries all leaked and you just tossed it. In 2014 Eveready started putting out single emitter numbers like those that came with carbon zinc batteries and ran about 40 hours while putting out about 50 throwey blumens.

The new ones from 019 are made by Energizer and put out about 80 throwers and runtime is stated at 55 hours. So figure useable for 8-10 hours before dimming well below the stated output. Fine for a glove box or as a sudden lights out number hanging on a nail or by a door to help you find a longer running flashlight. No dramatic change in output but no more blue hints and more runtime. It says 80 meters but 25 is about it's useable range.

Runs fine off an 18500 LifePo4 too. So for about $5 for the light and $5 for a pair of solar lamp batteries it'll do in a crunch.

3-AE27-D8-D-20-B2-4-BE9-AA61-F6-D7-DD09-A2-A4.jpg

Comes with a wrist lanyard.

Last edited:

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Energizer used to make a great 1xAA flashlight. Haven't seen in for a while. I assume they no longer make it.

finn

Newly Enlightened
bi2WQ7p.jpg

Convoy S12 2700K. Mainly for the emitter and cell. It's basically an incandescent that hits 100lm/W efficiency and will run almost a month in low or over a day in medium. I've always assumed very warm emitters were a novelty, but it is much less harsh in total darkness, and lights better than most Crees.

Also the rest of the light is simple, compact, durable, and most importantly, serviceable. Lights that are more complex than digital watches are a gimmick in my opinion. And it's not too bad that my favourite light I've ever had cost under 30USD.

drexter

Newly Enlightened
I like my Convoy S2+. It has a good brightness at high setting.

LED Monkey

Enlightened
I like my Convoy S2+. It has a good brightness at high setting.
+
+1 on the S2+ For around $20 bucks I got a multi mode light, neutral color nice tint, nice anodizing, smooth threads and a very nice host overall. Psst, don't let this secret out they'll raise the price.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
My 2020 fave so far has been a punchy little 50 lumen 1x aaa number by Husky from Home Depot. $6 with a battery. Has indestructable features like rubberized head cover but for $6 I won't too upset if a fall down into a 25' manhole breaks it.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
z7odoyp.jpg

My nomination for 2020 is a light that has been at or near the top of the budget light heap for a few years now – the Mag ML25, specifically the dual mode 2C version that came out last year. The ML25 is very versatile with the added mode and it still has the outstanding combination of a huge spill with a tight/throwy hot spot – great light at a budget price and still made in the USA!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
2 speed ML25 was a great update.
Although I rarely use the low it is a nice option. The increased run time was amazing. I never did check to see if it has the rock solid regulation like the gen 1 version though. The couple dozen extra lumens slices through dark noticeably better in side by side with a bigger spot in the middle and brighter spill up close. It's definitely an under rated flashlight.

Like you said, US assembled, $20……an awesome value in the over crowded world of flashlights.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not sure I have a favorite for this year yet but that Maglite 2 level 2C is certainly a top pick. I have been a fan of the ML25 2C from the get go and the two level option makes the ML25 a little more versatile without adding complexity. Recently purchased some LSD NiMH C cells largely for the new and old model ML25 2C.

Last edited:

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been getting a lot of use out of the Energizer 2xAAA penlight. I put some electrical tap around the edge so that it wouldn't throw light out the side. They should have recessed the plastic a bit.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lumintop seems to be making a niche for itself in the small low end market. I really like the Tool AA 2.0. With a little shopping around one can find the Nichia version for the higher CRI and warmer CCT, but there is nothing wrong with the Cree version either.
Another contender is the Sofirn BLF C01S. Single AAA, Low-High twisty with a high CRI emitter, and the tail has spots for a circular magnet and/or a trit tube, as well as a lanyard hole. Really nice pocket/key ring light.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I'll have to cast my vote for the Nitecore Tiki LE. It has become my EDC pocket light, and I can't imagine that changing any time soon. Bright, lightweight, and a 1 lumen low that comes on first. While it won't survive much immersion or being run over it seems to offer alot for $20. Hopefully the rechargeable battery will last as long as the one in my old Nitecore Tube.

Geoff

msmith

Newly Enlightened
Long time lurker here :) I personally have a cheap Energizer penlight in the kitchen drawer! Have gotten years of use of it and it's still bright enough in a pinch.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
One I used to like but rarely used is an old Brinkmann MaxFire. A 2x123 number similar to a SureFire G2. The bulb itself is not particularly rare but the way it is assembled is very similar to a SureFire E2 or A2. (ie hard to repair/replace the bulb.) And the assembly itself is practically non existent. The light ran about $12 on eBay a few years back. I had one setting on my bedside table for occasional use.

One day a few years back I tried a Malkoff module in it and it worked. But I chose to keep it stock. Keep it a 'budget' light configuration. The other day a group buy Malkoff module arrived and it now houses an M61NLLLL module with a nice SST LED at 4000 kelvin. I'd have to say that although the price of the module itself was beyond the parameters of a 'budget' light, it may end up being that $12 MaxFire is my favorite for 2020. It's only May so time will tell.

Last edited:

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Brinkmann MaxFire on the shelf. A while ago I attempted to get as many non-metal P60 hosts as I could (easily...didn't really hunt for rare or expensive models). I haven't tried it yet with a dropin, but I like the incandescent it came with.