Favorite budget light 2021

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not just memory its the type of memory.
I don't like memory lights that start at some random place I was last time. Cycling to low can be a coping mechanism for that. The real annoying thing is when I have to cycle through High and Burst (or even worse strobes) to get back to that low mode.
I have memory enabled on my HDS executive, but it is the mode I set in the memory, so it is always the same (no surprises), and I never have to go through Max to get any of the other 3 modes.

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
That is one thing I sort of like about my Wowtac A2S in that it has memory but only 3 "normal" modes and you can guarantee it starts in low mode by click and hold to turn on it comes on in moonlight mode and the next mode is low after that so if you turn the light off in high mode you can force it to come on in moonlight instead.

wjv

Enlightened
Memory lights don't bother me. I'm use to cycling to low before shutting them off. Though lights that reset to low are prefered.

Haven't carried a light in a while (working from home) but recently I rediscovered my 1xAA lights that have been sitting in the safe. Really like my Fenix E12.

As for lights that I aquired this year, the top two are the Skilhunt H04 with full diffuser and a Wurkkos WK30 as being tied for the top slots The MagLite ML300XL is at the bottomof the list. Initially I was happy with it, but once I started comparing it side-by-side with some of my other lights, the "fail" became more obvious. Other than long run times, the beam does neither spot or flood very well. Though it is better that the older versions of MagLites. I'll probably give it away to a relative or a friend.

I prefer runtimes over lumens and I'm not very impressed with lights that give you 3200 lumens for 90 seconds, then dive to 800 lumens. Just give me a 800 lumen light with a driver tuned for runtimes.

But hey, lumens sell. .

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Agreed. It's one reason I used to buy flashlights at drug stores and grocery stores. One (Rayovac Essentials) was 40 lumens for 19 hours from a carbon zinc aa battery back in 018 when everybody was trying to sell their 1aa 1000 lumen numbers. I think it was $5.99 or something. It used a small LED so it has a throwey beam that makes it seem a lot brighter than 40 lumens in the deep dark woods.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Favorite budget light is still the Olight i3E EOS.
One mode, good and bright. No 5 or 10 lumens for me.
Very inexpensive. You can buy a cheap carry-clip from Olight for it.

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
My favorite Budget Light 2021 is the Stainless Steel Rotary (bottom). My 2021 full price light is the BeCu Rotary (top).

jzvDM7r.jpg

Poppy

Flashaholic
I got this light recommended by Lynx_Arc
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/v...ul-COB-LED-2x18650-magnet-work-light-I-bought

I got it for my Dad so he would have a handy rechargeable light for what ever, including power outages.

For about $20, I think it is worth it, so much so, that I got one for myself after seeing his.

This is the first light that I bought for myself this year and so I guess it goes down as my favorite for 2021. :)

Certainly I can always count on Convoy lights as my all around favorite, year after year.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I've been adding COB lights with magnets to a metal shed I just acquired. Home Depot has some near the electric cords that are similar to Nebo Little Larry for $5 that tout 200 lumens. Like Poppy I haven't bought much lately in the way of lighting tools. But I also added a 2 pack of triangle body shaped LuxPro COB lights that swivel. They are more of a space lighter than the $5 HDX lights. The HDX are like a pocket pen light with fixed magnetic clip where the LuxPro have magnets on the rear and a hook on one end. The COB itself swivels about 120 degrees.

2-C41-F31-E-C722-4-C74-8205-EB0-AC4-D96040.jpg

Both put out a good amount of light in the light colored walls and celing of an 8x10 shed. I have two of the pen lights and two of the swivelers in there to add light to a pair of 30 lumen motion sensor lights that shut off after 30 seconds of no movement. In other words, walk in shed, see your way around via motion sensor lights. If you stand in one spot and contemplate something or read instructions to a new gizmo the motion sensor turns off. Eh, just wave your arm and it turns back on but when I walk in I turn on a COB, which then provides enough light to turn off the motion sensing light and turn off the COB on the way out the door.

I placed a COB on each of the four walls but mainly use the one by the door so far. If I know I'm going to be in the shed for a while I carry a 3D cell Maglite for the long run time ability and tail stand it to ceiling bounce light throughout. I did that one night while installing yard tool hangers.

Last edited:

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the metal Energizer 1AA as hefty (relatively speaking, anyways) as the metal 2AA version? From the pics it looks like it's similar construction.

I have the Vision 2AA and don't really care for the beam (3 emitters, 2 focused by TIR, 1 diffused). From pictures online the 1AA looks like it might have a reflector which is more interesting to me.

Thanks!

--flatline

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The 1aa is just as hefty, yes. The head is a bit smaller.
- It has one LED in the center of a conventional reflector instead of that triple thing-a-muh-bob.
- The beam is conventional with a mildly throwey hot spot and lots of spill.
- The two way pocket clip is nice.
- The OS is high/low/beacon. But, you can half press to get to any of the modes. I did not time it but after a couple of seconds it returns to high.

4-D731216-5699-4-A00-B633-4-D3-AECEE594-C.jpg

2aa vs 1aa

911-E0-A14-BCDC-4-E20-9-DF4-F65-AF4-D2-C20-A.jpg

The switch methods

8-ABDC6-E8-87-E7-41-EA-ACA9-D8-CC4-B14-CFC0.jpg

The business ends

Last edited:

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
That sounds pretty good to me. I'll have to see if any local store carries the metal Energizer 1AA.

--flatline

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy folks. My favorite budget light has been the good old Photon Freedom modded with a warm Yuji led. 2nd place goes to my 2C Maglite ML50L. My flashlight obsession has waned a TON over the last few years but these two inexpensive lights have been getting the lion share of use lately. Oddly enough, one of my last two E01s just stopped working after hitting the tile floor from a fall from the top of the shower door. But that's for a different post.
EDIT: E01 still lives. Remembered that I had bought this one used. Took it down and found some corrosion at the bottom of the tube. All is well.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Thanks to green pond mike's tip I may have found my favorite budget light ever. It has a slider switch. A two stage slider switch. A 4 lumen low and 325 lumen high. And like lights with a PR bulb it has throw. Lots of throw.
The Coleman battery guard 325.

It's a triple a flashlight so if you don't dig on a triple aaa body carrier light stop reading here. If you kept reading you'll see an 18500 is too short and 18650 too long. Is it regulated? Probably not. But for camping that means no sudden lights out due to a low voltage.

The body is a fairly thin wall alluminum tube surrounded by a plastic body. Two areas expose the knurled alluminum tubing. Each end has a rubberized coating. It is about the diameter of a SureFire 6P. It's reminiscent of a Streamlight Scorpion.

66-CFF488-8-A2-E-4942-8144-4-CD67-F0-B1-BCC.jpg

It also reminds me of the Rayovac Sportsman of a few years back but with a two stage slider instead of tailcap clicky.

If you kept reading but don't like cool white beams stop reading here. It has a pretty chilly beam but no blues, greens or other strange colors were present. Not copy paper white mind you, just a hint of yellow. 5700-6000 kelvin would be my guess. I did not detect any PWM on low using a photo of a running fan method.

Speaking of beam, it has 3 distinct beams. One in the center for a pencil beam that throws well, a second one that has a nice bright wide spill. The third is a gentle spill that lights up to the edge of your peripherals while not killing your night adapted peripheral vision.
A469979-F-316-C-4837-91-C4-D9-D09303-B2-AF.jpg

Neat trick Coleman.
The three beam trick is probably easy on the eyes in a dense forest scenario.

8-B3-FE1-AF-6483-43-C7-8-BE4-E9-D8-E6-B39971.jpg

The low beam is really good for 8-10 meters.
That's a 36" round wrought iron fire pit in the photo.

5-C67524-B-6981-407-C-83-CD-7-DC0-A816-CC8-E.jpg

The high beam is really good for about 100-150 meters.

If the slider switch holds up a year or two I'll be happy. It has positive detents like a vintage Bright Star but has a low/high instead of signaler/full on. And yes you can signal with this one on low. You can go from low to high if you want but that would not be ideal for stealth. The detent is stiff enough where you probably won't turn it on unless you mean to. It's likely meant for camping or an urban jungle.

No antiroll areas or provisions for a wrist strap but the rubberized head can be sanded or ground to add flat spots and the rubberized tail cap cover should be easy to drill for a lanyard.

I paid $15 at Wal Mart and will probably buy another next time I'm there. It's a 2018 product but is likely to be my favorite budget light this year thanks to the super throw beam and slider switch.

Edit: corrected lumen amount so instead of saying 250 lumens it says 325. The 250 is the distance it is said to reach in meters.
End this edit.

Last edited:

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw your 2 stage hotspot, but it seems like yours isn't as pronounced as mine. It could be a slight variation in the production run of the head. Your hotspot seems brighter than mine. The head screws off also and causes the hotspot to be less intense like a mini mag pro does as you unscrew it. The head comes completely off and you can use it for a mule. My beam seems to be a 2 stage hotspot and a 3 stage spill that gently transitions- unlike the mag beam. I wonder if it will make it out to 250 meters with those 325 lumens.
They also have a 325 meter one, but I don't remember how many lumens it is on high, but that one has a 10 lumen low.
On the head, I think they want people to discover it on their own. It IS a feature, but they are probably shy about listing it lest Mr. Tony sues them

This light is sure enough special.

Last edited:

Chess

Newly Enlightened
I got a light at Home Depot...I'm not sure the name of it...it looks somewhat generic...but it actually puts out a very bright beam of light. I'm sure others here have seen them. I will try to get the details and post pics of the light output and size, but I think when I got it, it was under the name "DEFIANT"

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I got a light at Home Depot...I'm not sure the name of it...it looks somewhat generic...but it actually puts out a very bright beam of light. I'm sure others here have seen them. I will try to get the details and post pics of the light output and size, but I think when I got it, it was under the name "DEFIANT"
Defiant is HDs generic brand for lights. Somewhat lackluster and cheap line of lights that are rarely mentioned around here now that they have been out for a few years and keep turning out lights that perform about like we had 10 years and 2 generations ago.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Welcome aboard chess.
Defiant lights are fine and come with a good guarentee. It breaks and they replace it. I have a few. Matter of fact the one hanging by my back door is one from about 2016 that has served me well.

Keep in mind CPF is a flashlight enthusiats site. Think "Corvette forum" and you just posted about your shiney new Toyota Prius……yet the budget section is a place for……well, the inexpensive store bought flashlight if you like.