Favorite Walking Light?

Bror Jace

Enlightened
MikeSalt: "My favourite is a 3x5mm LED flashlight powered by 3 AAAs from Poundland. Cheap, floody and not too bright."

Bingo. I still have nearly a dozen 5mm cluster lights from 3x5mm to 128x5mm and these (especially the smaller ones) are terrific for walks through friendly woods. They aren't too bright and light up everything within 20'-50' which is plenty for following a known trail.

For walks in unfriendly woods, I'd want a super low then a super bright at the push of a side switch ... a light I don't currently own. I suppose I'd take my SSC P4 - 18650 2-mode with a rear clicky if I had to go into unfamiliar surroundings. Low is already plenty bright and high is for sightings past 200' ... which is not terribly useful in deep woods.

heckboy

Enlightened
In town, a poorly lit town, but town none the less...

E1L or a new up and coming favorite Fenix P3D Q5. My dog walking keys also have a E1 on them. My wife keeps a E2D stuffed in her pocket for the occasional need.

Regards,
HB

WTH

Newly Enlightened
No doubt, McGizmo Mule. I love the pure flood beam. And of course I have a higher power light like my G2 with cree drop in for spotting stuff far away if necessary.

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
The medium output of the Fenix is just about perfect for me, but something with a forward clicky would probably be preferable to a twisty for a walking light.

Medium output on the P1D-CE Q5 is 96 lumens I believe. 'High' on the L1T V2.0 is 90 lumens. This has a forward clicky and the orange-peel reflector you like. Team it up with some Eneloops, and this could be your perfect walking light.:thumbsup:

The L1T V2.0 will be my next purchase, the 15 lumens at 'low' is ideal to replace the 3x5mm Poundland flashlight I currently use for this power domain.:twothumbs

Wish it had diamond knurling (chequering) though, it does not look as pretty as my P1D-CE Q5...:mecry:

Numbers

Enlightened
I still use my SL Ultrastinger -even after all these years, (purchased when I was still in sticker shock over the price of lights, meaning I could not understand spending even more on a rechargeable SF back then).
I have no concerns about walking around here, there is generally enough ambient light, I just want those oncoming cars to see me just as soon as I see them (and they do). Additionally, I would like to think that the 12 inch length could be used to fend off a stray dog better than a pocketable SF - (but who knows about that).

Germ

Enlightened
Medium output on the P1D-CE Q5 is 96 lumens I believe. 'High' on the L1T V2.0 is 90 lumens. This has a forward clicky and the orange-peel reflector you like. Team it up with some Eneloops, and this could be your perfect walking light.:thumbsup:

The L1T V2.0 will be my next purchase, the 15 lumens at 'low' is ideal to replace the 3x5mm Poundland flashlight I currently use for this power domain.:twothumbs

Wish it had diamond knurling (chequering) though, it does not look as pretty as my P1D-CE Q5...:mecry:

Mike, are you trying to cost me money? :devil:

The L1T sounds great, but a one cell 123 with a forward clicky sounds better. I like having the option to go brighter than 90 lumens. Hopefully Fenix will do a 123 like the L1T but give you the option of a shrouded button so you can tailstand. For a walking light a 2 cell would probably be better still as it would fill your hand and the batteries would last longer. If I wait a year they should have the high mode with about 400 lumens :D

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I am trying to part you with your hard-earned cash. Does it show?

Well of course, the L1T head is also the L2T head, which accepts a three volt input (2x1.5v AA) to give 140 lumens on 'high'. This also happens to be the voltage of a single CR123A cell.

The technology is there, just needs the single CR123A body and it is good to go.

Or.... someone needs to fuse two 1/2AA NiMH cells together to make a 3v, 1000mAh-ish cell that can be used in any of the L1* series to give L2* performance.

Last edited:

arnold ziffle

Newly Enlightened
i use a surefire l1 with a diffuser or an hds with the same fo4 diffuser. the l1 on low or the hds at 10 lumens is just right . the hds with the two battery body would probably run for a week.

sims2k

Enlightened
Surefire L2 in my pants pocket. Taskforce 2C in hand or sometimes the ROV 3C....both are good for using on the mile and a half walks on the sidewalk around my neighborhood.

Gladius01

Enlightened
McGizmo HD 45 with Lux 5 (two level)..........great for flood and walks
123584896-M.jpg

Jeffb,
Where can I buy MC Gizmo HD45 flashlight? What is the lumens ?

alanagnostic

Enlightened
SF L4 for walks with a 9P in the back pocket in case I need to see 100 yards away to see what the dogs are up to. I do rotate through lots of lights for night walks so that everybody (lights) get a turn.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
UK 4AA eLED Zoom...with optional traffic wand. It has an ergonomic thumb body switch with 2 power levels.

+1

Despite experimenting with newer, brighter and more efficient lights, I always return to the UK 4AA eLED Zoom for walking, whether around the neighborhood or out in the woods.

Great switch, great ergonomics, extreme ruggedness, and long flat-regulated runtime on high and low. I love everthing about this light except for its outdated emitter, which UK will eventually get around to updating. Even with its Lux emitter, I still prefer this light to all of my others.

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jeffb,
Where can I buy MC Gizmo HD45 flashlight? What is the lumens ?

Gladius01, you could get a McG HD45 at theledguy.com
There's two versions, one with the Luxeon V W bin that puts out ~120lm out the front.
The Luxeon III Version has a bit more throw, but less overall output.

Check them out, they're definitely worthy lights.