fear from airport sec is overrated ...

wyager

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suspect you are right. Post 9-11 for a few years I was still criss crossing North America every week for work and I'm quite certain that any regular flyer along with me would have reacted differently to a brute force attack such as what likely happened that day. That sort of strategy can only work once. Well, at least until it is a distant memory.

Still, I don't think security should be making it easier for attackers to get weapons aboard. Us regular folks will be armed with laptops and plastic cutlery.

I agree. I think the 9/11 mentality must have been something like "Well, I'm scared but I doubt the guy with the box knife is gonna do anything too drastic" until it was too late. Now, if someone made a threatening move with a knife on a plane, people would be on them faster than they can say "allahu akbar". It would be nice if they had some kind of volunteer air marshal program, where CCW holders could go through intensive psych testing or something to be able to carry a weapon on the plane. Maybe just ex-cops or something.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
As SureAddicted pointed out, you didn't find common sense at the airports. You found incompetence.

WDG

Enlightened
Us regular folks will be armed with laptops and plastic cutlery.

My air-travel defensive weapon of choice is a Nikon FE2 with motor-drive... plus steel tripod centering plate... plus quick-release plate. It's no F4, but you still wouldn't want to get hit with it. :grin2:

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
My air-travel defensive weapon of choice is a Nikon FE2 with motor-drive...

I *love* the FE2. My father has one and I've used it from time to time.

Sorry everyone for the off topic shutterbug comment. It's just rare in this day when someone else besides me admits to using a film camera. :) (I *love* film too!)

GRunner

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone,

This past June I was flying from Portland, OR. to JFK in NYC. Earlier in the day in a hurry to pack, I took off what I thought was my Victorinox Huntsman SAK with pouch from my belt and put it in my checked bag. When I got to the screening area I reached for my Lumapower ConneXion light only to find the SAK instead. It was in a similar pouch on the same side and in my haste I didn't check what I was doing earlier.

I put it in the bin as I didn't have many options. TSA of course found it right away and to my surprise for the first time in over 30 trips around the country since 911 found my Swiss Key on my key ring.

They were very professional and polite explained I couldn't flly with these things and brought me over to a machine to mail the items to myself. They have something called Returnkey Systems Inc. They hand you an envelope and with a credit card you use this machine to mail the items to yourself. It cost $16.05 and I received it in about 5 days.

As it was my fault, I paid for the lession and was happy not to have to repalce both items.

Bye for now.

rkJr

Enlightened
I've carried a credit card sized sheet of titanium in the credit card section of my wallet for > 5 years that I bought from a tactical gear shop. The card has slightly recessed finely honed corner edge blades of 1.5" and 1" at 1 corner that allow clean insertion and removal from the wallet. I use it most frequently as a box cutter on packages, but cut the occasional rope as well. (I suppose that one could cut plastic handcuffs as well after fishing in a back pocket)

My wallet always goes through the security conveyor and has never been questioned. My titanium shoulder replacement always sets off alarms which subject me to the highest level body scans and searches.

TSA only notices what they are looking for.

+1

I've got the same card and carry system. works every time.

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
My air-travel defensive weapon of choice is a Nikon FE2 with motor-drive... plus steel tripod centering plate... plus quick-release plate. It's no F4, but you still wouldn't want to get hit with it. :grin2:

I started out with an FE2 with the MD-12 Motor drive, and once I had an F4 fall off a 5 story building in 1995, thinking it was in pieces, It was together, and still worked! Had is sent to Nikon for alignment tests, no problem.

But, I will have no problem whacking some nut on a plane with one of my D3X's. They are just as tough, and will still cause the virgin seeker to flush his teeth down the aircraft toilet before wheels down.

Just remember to have a second camera to give to someone, not as back up, but to get news photos of you in action! Better hit them with the FE-2/MD 12, and have a digital for coverage.

Also, a mono pod could be a wonderful weapon, and is OK to take with you.

Of course, now after this, will one of these fools pick up an expensive DSLR, and yell..."No one Move!"

*Dusty*

Enlightened
You know those little soda cans they give you on the plane? Fold one in half and look at the nice sharp pointy bit you get. Who needs a knife?

Simple effective self defence tool if you happen to see a soda can anywhere.

Rolled up magazines can become very effective batons, hardback books can be used as striking devices too, a mini vodka can be thrown in someones face/eyes, hot drinks as well.

Thats just the obvious ones, there are dozens of items on any aircraft which can be made offensive if not lethal if you know where to look.

I've walked through 4 security checkpoints within the US with a zippo lighter in my pocket without realising yet in London a 2 year olds very blunt kids cutlery was confiscated for "security reasons". The handles were big cartoon characters specifically designed to be gripped by little hands.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
On a trip to Vegas back in October, I left the tactial pens at home. But I took along a certain model that isn't marketed as a tactical pen. In fact, it converts to a very nice improvised icepick. Yup, you guessed it. I just tossed it into the tray, then picked it up on the other side.

As a former security guard with years of experience, I can tell you that the TSA screeners are paid to present an image of security only.

CKOD

Enlightened
I agree. I think the 9/11 mentality must have been something like "Well, I'm scared but I doubt the guy with the box knife is gonna do anything too drastic" until it was too late. Now, if someone made a threatening move with a knife on a plane, people would be on them faster than they can say "allahu akbar". It would be nice if they had some kind of volunteer air marshal program, where CCW holders could go through intensive psych testing or something to be able to carry a weapon on the plane. Maybe just ex-cops or something.

Prior to 9/11 airplane hijackings had been "ok, were flying to this airport, and waiting for $, or for xyz to be released from prison" etc...

Now that they have ruined that mentality by taking out 4 planes, I would hope that people would be willing to fight for themselves. I'd almost say it's a good idea to give a 4" knife to everyone as they boarded if they didnt bring their own. And maybe even offer immunity from prosecution if it was a real attack/hijacking attempt :whistle: Maybe the christmas bomber could have caught a knife to the neck, etc...

prof

Enlightened
I *love* the FE2. My father has one and I've used it from time to time.

Sorry everyone for the off topic shutterbug comment. It's just rare in this day when someone else besides me admits to using a film camera. :) (I *love* film too!)

Same here. I like what I can do with it...digital is good for some stuff, but film still has an overall edge in quality. Slipping, however.

WDG

Enlightened
...I had an F4 fall off a 5 story building in 1995, thinking it was in pieces, It was together, and still worked!

Did it crack the sidewalk? :D

Also, a mono pod could be a wonderful weapon, and is OK to take with you.

Do they allow monopods & tripods in carry-on again? It's been a while since I've flown (prefer driving.) With the head removed, my tripod fits nicely into carry-on. Bogen geared head... that'd hurt, too!

Before 9/11, I carried a Spyderco Delica II as my small-enough-for-air-travel knife. So much for that.

Last edited:

Larbo

Enlightened
I think dealing with security at airports is pretty much the same as dealing with lets say customer service, all depends on who you get and the mood they are in, I bet it runs the extreme both ways.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
No. A knife is a no-no. The fact that you were able to bring one onboard doesn't speak highly of the security system in your situation. :shakehead
Although the chances of anybody hijacking a plane with just knife these days is pretty much slim to none. I think in this post 9/11 world, anybody attempting such a scheme would face considerable resistance from the passengers.

wyager

Flashlight Enthusiast
Although the chances of anybody hijacking a plane with just knife these days is pretty much slim to none. I think in this post 9/11 world, anybody attempting such a scheme would face considerable resistance from the passengers.

Plus, they keep a tazer in the cabin now. Good luck beating the 30 foot range of a tazer unless you can throw that knife pretty well.

cm_mtb

Enlightened
Plus, they keep a tazer in the cabin now. Good luck beating the 30 foot range of a tazer unless you can throw that knife pretty well.

I believe pilots can now fly with a handgun as well, after the proper training, of course.

wyager

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe pilots can now fly with a handgun as well, after the proper training, of course.

Interesting. I would have thought all the paranoia would drive certain types to try and get rid of lethal weapons on an aircraft no matter who held them. I have an airline worker in the family, I'll have to ask her next time I see her. I imagine this might conflict with international law though...

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast
i had a little grooming kit in my carry-on bag. they confiscated those little tiny sciccors out of it. the way they acting you would have though i was trying to bring anthrax onboard. got to keep the fingernail clippers and comb btw.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
i had a little grooming kit in my carry-on bag. they confiscated those little tiny scissors out of it. the way they acting you would have though i was trying to bring anthrax onboard. got to keep the fingernail clippers and comb btw.

Which shows you how idiotic the whole process is. Not to worry, if you need a weapon; splurge for an international flight and a First class ticket. (Some airlines still serve your meal with a metal knife.)