Features that would make me buy another FourSevens light

DrDML

Newly Enlightened
consistent green tint has been a disappointment for several years

Put me down as another voice for better tint. I'm not sure exactly what "neutral" or "warm" white is. I do know that I have purchased 4 2AA tactical quarks with XM-L2 emitters (over the years) and 2 AA atoms (recently), and they all have a very unpleasant green hue. I love your lights! But unless something is done about the tints, I don't think I'll be buying from foursevens in the future.

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
The mmu x3r is so close to perfect but not quite, I have two mmu x3's. I would buy the x3r if it had moonlight, and a 300 350 400 ish lumen level. Being configurable, if someone wants a tactical light thats fine if like me you want to use it day to day normal life thats fine too.

You're not alone in asking for a lower mode. See these reviewers' comments on the MMU-X3R:

http://indefinitelywild.gizmodo.com...eview-2-000-lumens-of-handheld-fla-1700494162
"...even the X3R's 110 lumen low is way too bright for most daily needs."
"Necessitates the carry of another, more practical light for daily illumination tasks."

Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/FOURSEVENS-Ma...tBy=bySubmissionDateDescending#R10EN1BEI24L1L
Review by L.L.H.: "The only warning I have is that even the lowest setting is a little bright for most uses."
Review by N.P.: "Be warned though, this is not a very useful indoor light as even in its lowest setting, it's still very bright."

CPF: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...S-Maelstrom-Regen-MMU-X3R-(Proprietary-26650)
"Being a nice comfortable size to hold, it is a little frustrating there are not a couple of lower levels."

Prior to the MMU-X3R, reviewers of the MMU-X3 were also asking for a lower moonlight mode:

http://www.everydaycommentary.com/2014/01/foursevens-mmu-x3-review.html
"I'd like a moonlight low on every light, including this one..."

Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/FOURSEVENS-Maelstrom-MMU-X3-1X26650-Finish/product-reviews/B00HDPCRGU
Review by C.S.: "Not ideal for general use as it is really bright even on the low setting."
Review by G.F.: "Nice bright flood light, but it needs a dimmer setting, it was too bright for most uses while I was camping."

Note: If the extra firmware needed to include lower modes is too much for the X3R's MCU, it can be easily upgraded to, for example, an ATTiny25 MCU which is capable of storing a huge amount of programming.

The idea here is: Why not make a good lighting tool - as flexible as possible - for as many customers as possible?

Last edited:

Jose Marin

Enlightened
May sound kinda crazy but i love the atoms and minis and wish there were 18650 versions with the same interface

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would like to see XP-L HI lights. They seem to be very popular at the moment.

26650 using XP-L HI V3 cool white woukd be amazing.

KCL Knives

Newly Enlightened
I would love a stretched out version of the Quark Smart that runs on an 18650 and also two CR123A batteries as a backup. It needs to have moonlight and a turbo mode of around 1000 lumens. The tail switch should be programmable to be turbo or strobe and should be momentary. The side switch should operate just like the current QSL. I know and hope these things can be done in the software.

A light like this will carry easily clipped to a pocket and would perfectly satisfy EDC needs while still giving instant access to momentary high for tactical use.

bard

Newly Enlightened
Add another vote for a warm or neutral version of the new lights. I'm still running a warm XP-G Quark 2AA Tactical and a Hi-CRI AA Mini. The new Smart lights are pretty slick, especially for battery management, but no warm or neutral option will keep me from upgrading indefinitely. Cool white hurts my eyes outside at night, I don't care about 20% more lumens.

KCL Knives

Newly Enlightened
I would love a stretched out version of the Quark Smart that runs on an 18650 and also two CR123A batteries as a backup. It needs to have moonlight and a turbo mode of around 1000 lumens. The tail switch should be programmable to be turbo or strobe and should be momentary. The side switch should operate just like the current QSL. I know and hope these things can be done in the software.

A light like this will carry easily clipped to a pocket and would perfectly satisfy EDC needs while still giving instant access to momentary high for tactical use.

With the latest firmware and the release of the QS2L many of the things in my previous post have happened. As a result I purchased a QS2L and have had it for a few days now.

The tailcap button is even better then what I had expected. Not only is it momentary only (in tactical mode) but it is programmable to activate the light in any mode that you choose. In small spaces such as a house 950 lumens can be enough light for bounce back to effect your own vision. Having the ability to set the tail button to 350 lumens is great.

Both high and moonlight modes are easily selected from the side switch, as well as any other mode. Because of these improvements this is the first light that I have ever seen that can cover both tactical and EDC use with no compromises.

Please leave the tactical tail switch momentary only! Let the ability latch the light on stay in Pro mode, it has no place in a tactical light.

Now for the future I would still love to see an 18650 version, well maybe two versions 😂 one with the same diameter tube from end to end (for easy pocket carry) and one with a larger reflector for more throw. An xpl- hi v3 would also be nice.

These are the future of lights! A light that works exactly how you want it to has never existed before. Add to that battery monitoring, notifications, smartphone control, and location reporting and this light is a real winner, that is after a few bugs are worked out. I will address that in a future post. But for now if you are on the fence about a Quark Smart just go and get one.

recDNA

Flashaholic
HI CRI. Maybe 219b triple? 500 lumens is plenty so no need for FET.

A two-fer one offer. :twothumbs

~ Chance

G9bkhbH.jpg

Danielsan

Enlightened
Nichia high cri emitter, more anodizing choices like sand, military green etc.., magnetic dimming, voltage check function, firefly mode from off, no disco modes, several selectable mode groups to customize the light

Latest posts