FEELER: Dark Sucks, Carbon Fiber bodied Alpha

archer6817j

Enlightened
The AA size is still totally theoretical. I don't have a design and I haven't made any prototypes yet :) Basically I wanted something that would work with Eneloops, lithiums, and alkalines.

But to stay on topic...any more interest in the carbon body? :)

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
The AA size is still totally theoretical. I don't have a design and I haven't made any prototypes yet :) Basically I wanted something that would work with Eneloops, lithiums, and alkalines.

But to stay on topic...any more interest in the carbon body? :)

Jason,
I just gave Peter some Wayne from Sandwichshoppe here on this site $ the drivers designed for AA cells. These are really tiny drivers and they will generate 1.4A to the LED via just 1V~3V input. He is putting this together as we speak, so hopefully the driver delivers and it would be an awesome driver if it actually does do it.

It would be 2A~2.5A via 2 NiMH AA cells, so thats full power for sure. That would be awesome!

bigC

Darvis

Enlightened
Bump. I'd take the bait on this carbon fiber one for sure... get 'er done!

To be frankly honest, what does it for me is the daprture from the normally ribbed look of your other designs.. I much prefer the flat body on this.

archer6817j

Enlightened
Hey all,

So I'm having a bit of trouble with the tube supplier I wanted to use, so it looks like I have to find another option. I'd like to make this happen though, so I'll keep working on it. Speaking of tritum...suggestions for where you want them located and how many you'd want?

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMO, this is the light that you need to make.
I think this is the one that will really put you on the map for custom makers.

If you don't make the run, I would ask right now for the chance to buy the prototype that is pictured.
Assuming that it works, or that you can make it work, of course.
I don't care about bare aluminum or coatings or trits or whatever. I just think that exactly what you have shown in the picture is totally awesome and I want it.

And if you want to do some other cool versions, I'd suggest a 18500 and 18350 version for the folks who like the short lights.
But I think this basic theme is going to make you some money, and the head design is outstanding.

If you are making the run, I like any of the silver colored finish options, so that it basically looks like the picture.
Trit options are fine too, but I don't know if I'd order any trits or not. And I actually think the GITD ring around the LED is pretty cool too.

Regarding options, my recommendation is to keep the base price as low as you can, and add options at extra cost for those who want them. An attractive base price for the plain light is key to getting more sales. Many of the other custom light brands are too expensive for most people to reach. And with nice options at added cost, the people who want the fanciest versions at higher cost can get them, so nobody is left out.

I personally think that the XML should now be the emitter of choice because of the reasons you stated on your new thread about output rating.
You'll get more out of the XML and it's more consistent in output, and it's more lumens and it has longer throw. And I think it would sell better too, simply because it's got the newest hi-power emitter, which people like to have.
That being said, I wouldn't pass up one of the super-performing MCE emitters that you have, either.
But the XML is newer and more efficient and better throw, so I think you'd be better off to move to this newest LED. However, I do believe that in a personal light, the flood beam is more useful, as long as there is some reasonable throw along with it, which either of these emitters seems to have anyway, with their big power output.

My general comments are that this is a timeless look with an interesting/attractive blend of the classic vintage combined with the hi-tech look.
I like it very much, and it won't go out of style.

So anyway, I think you need to make this light.
You can find carbon fiber tubes.
All your lights are nice, but this one really hits the home run. You simply MUST make this light.

Last edited:

archer6817j

Enlightened
Hey thanks for all the comments so far! This is moving along, but slowly. I think I have a supplier lined up but the tubes will be made to order and I'll going to have to fork over some money for a custom mandrel. I should know more in a week or so!

Policecar

Newly Enlightened
This resembles your I.C.E concept which I like so much. Any chance that could be made for regular production? It would be simpler than dealing with CF.

Anyone have interest in one of these? This will be a carbon sleeve epoxy bonded over an aluminum body. This will be a tad lighter than the standard Alpha. Please give feedback on whether you want the aluminum to be "raw" or nickel plated like my other lights. I recommend the nickel plate for long term durability.

The light (as pictured) will be in the neighborhood of $300.00 This covers the cost of the additional machining on the head and the cost to have custom carbon tubes manufactured to my specifications. The light in the photo is just a mock up. This is not a final price since I still need to get the exact cost from the tube manufacturer.

Thanks!

Jason

carbon-perspective.jpg

carbon-side.jpg

jonwkng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok everyone... So this is a 3 year-old thread. Whilst I generally do not condone thread necromancy, I do drop by every now and then to admire the Alpha Carbon. This is one light that I would definitely want to see completed.

So, from what I've heard from Jason a little while back in May this year...
The Alpha Carbon is still alive!:clap:
Albeit moving at a snail's pace.:(

Anyone else here want to have an Alpha Carbon? :anyone:

Latest posts