Fenix CL09 Review

Bugdozer

Newly Enlightened
P.S. They are still great little lights and I'll most likely get a couple more. I really only use them for low level lighting anyway or red.

LEDuser5

Newly Enlightened
view
I love this light and have used it a few times for backpacking. In my latest test the CL09 ran at 30 Lumens with Fenix 700U battery for 15.5 hours. The D ring hanger does not sit into the light deep enough and has fallen off a few times. I have since replaced it with some paracord and Gorilla Tape.

Last edited:

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
@rookiedaddy
Thanks for your very accurate tests.
I have two of these CL09 and I'm happy (a third CL09 is coming) but I have to say that my use so far has only been with red flashing and few times at home with levels of 1 or 30 lumens.
I purchased my specimens recently, I will do a test to see if everything is ok on my CL09 I hope to have no surprises.
I consider this light very successful, before it I had two CL05 and although the CL09 is expensive it is worth the additional expense.

@LEDuser5
I have read some reviews on USA_Amazon of users who have lost the CL09 for this "D ring" problem.
I use my CL09 fastened with a carabiner to the backpack but I don't let it dangle or swing, it is stuck in the MOLLE attacks, I hope not to lose it in this way, so far everything is ok.

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did a test using my second copy of CL09 - bought and never used (only tested on receipt of the package and then kept as a spare in a second backpack)
Charged the Fenix battery with Xtar VP2 (0.25A) up to about 4.19 V
Test performed in High mode (80 lumens) the light goes down to ultra-low level after 4 hours 17 minutes.
If I try to go back to the high levels they are not available.
I take out the battery, it is about 3 V - I reinsert the battery after a few minutes the light now works with all levels including the Turbo, I put it back in High but after two or three minutes the light goes off.
The voltage is approximately 2.90 V
The battery is the 700-U in its first cycle.