Fenix E01, any info?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix-store has posted some updates about the E01's in their topic about them on the dealers forum on CPFMP. I guess Fenix didn't get the E01's to Fenix-store when they were supposed to. Hopefully they'll show up soon. Fenix-store has offered to refund anyone's payments if it's a problem. Since they are pretty cheap I'm just going to leave my order so I don't lose my place in line incase they are shipped in batches as they come in. :)

scott

Enlightened
One of my favorite around-the-house lights is the discontinued Fenix E1. As E1 is not a long enough string to do a search, I can't find lumens numbers for it to see how it might compare to the EO1. Anyone know?

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of my favorite around-the-house lights is the discontinued Fenix E1. As E1 is not a long enough string to do a search, I can't find lumens numbers for it to see how it might compare to the EO1. Anyone know?

I think the E1 was 10 lumens, with a Nichia Rigel LED. Runtime? Uhm....about 1.5 hours? I think Lighthound still has them....

Ok, Lighthound's specs say 12 lumens, 3 hour runtime.

Last edited:

dulridge

Enlightened
Sadly Fenix discontinued Natural HA, but I agree, seems to be their toughest finish, which it is supposed to be, are was. :) We'll see how the black and olive wear compare to the colors. Hopefully Fenix will bring back Nat HA someday.

Yeah, I'm bummed about the Arc situation as many of us hold them in high regard. Unless Arc responds to me and can gaurantee they can send me a better quality example, I don't know if I'll bother trying to exchange this. We'll see how the new E01's compare to it.

Here's an E0 that is 18 months old. It lives on my car keys and has done so from new.

IMG_0476.jpg

My Solitaire that the E0 replaced after something like a decade.

IMG_0486.jpg

Doesn't seem to be all that H A.

That said, I've just ordered an E01 sight unseen. I'd have gone for the Arc but for their insane shipping charges if you don't live in the US. $35 on a $50 light that weighs next to nothing. $10 shipping I would have paid like a shot but the price of 2 Fenixes for the shipping alone?

broadwayblue

Newly Enlightened
energizer lithiums (L91) won't be a problem, but don't put 10440's in it. No point in using anything but alks in this anyway, the circuit is great on normal alkalines.

Any specific reasons I shouldn't put 10440's in an E01? I don't have any AAA alks.

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
E0 is only half as bright as arc tested, so longer runtime is expected. But in this case both e01 and arc gs claim 10 lumen.

Don't omit converter efficiency in your considerations. The Arc's driver is getting a little old - it hasn't changed since the original ArcAAA. There have been significant advances in switcher efficiencies in the last few years that the Fenix driver is likely exploiting.

The only major change is the Nichia LED model (BS to CS to DS to GS). There's less than a dollar difference in the cost of any of these LED models, yet the price difference between a "standard (CS)" and a "premium (GS)" is about $20!

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Don't omit converter efficiency in your considerations. The Arc's driver is getting a little old - it hasn't changed since the original ArcAAA. There have been significant advances in switcher efficiencies in the last few years that the Fenix driver is likely exploiting.

The only major change is the Nichia LED model (BS to CS to DS to GS). There's less than a dollar difference in the cost of any of these LED models, yet the price difference between a "standard (CS)" and a "premium (GS)" is about $20!

I'll go on record right now to say that if this E01 lives up to it's specs, it will be the product to put Arc out of the business for the final time. Arc's unwillingness to upgrade 5-year old technology on thier bread-and-butter product will lead to their final demise. Plopping a new LED into the same platform, with un-updated electronics, will no longer cut it in my opinion.

I've already placed my order for several E01 lights. I have high hopes for them, but only time will tell.

JamisonM

Enlightened
Are these delayed in shipping? The last I heard the black and olive were supposed to go out today. :thinking:
I have no idea about them being delayed, but I'd expect reviews for them to start popping up this week for sure. All those wanting to know more about them have to do is sit back, put their feet up and grab a beverage of their choosing and relax. Me, I'll sip tea, might even play a video game.

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll go on record right now to say that if this E01 lives up to it's specs, it will be the product to put Arc out of the business for the final time. Arc's unwillingness to upgrade 5-year old technology on thier bread-and-butter product will lead to their final demise. Plopping a new LED into the same platform, with un-updated electronics, will no longer cut it in my opinion.

I've already placed my order for several E01 lights. I have high hopes for them, but only time will tell.

YIKES TIN!!!! I thought you were a big ARC fan

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its beam has lots of rings and it has a very short run-time for the amount of light it produces.
I actually really like the E1s. It did maybe 12 real lumens and was perfectly flat for 1:30 on an alky, and 1:45 to 50%. This was performance which beat any other flashlight of its time. It would do about 2:30 on a nimh and did 5:50 in an E2 lithium primary. Mine has a pretty tough natural HA, and I really like the fact that the LED is under glass. Easy to clean, etc.

I would like the E01 even more if it was under glass, even if that meant it cost a few $ more.

Status
Not open for further replies.