Fenix E01

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
We're still discussing the details with Sofirn, but they apparently were thinking of making a AAA twisty. When djozz (member here, too, I believe) mentioned to a contact he had that there was interest specifically in a light similar to the E01 with Yuji emitters, they seemed eager to hear more about what we wanted - durable, reliable, efficient, but also high CRI and floody.

It is definitely a case where imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. The Fenix E01 is the benchmark this light will be compared to.

It actually started as an effort to get a special edition E01 + Yuji from Fenix as a group buy or similar project. I don't think Fenix normally does those sorts of projects though. Some initial discussion indicated a minimum order quantity of 1000 might make the project happen, so we were collecting an interest list, but when Sofirn proved eager to work on such a project, it was too good of an opportunity to pass up, so Sofirn's light is now the baseline plan.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh I checked out the thread sir. That's why I said I'd love to see more E01 "clones". More power to them. If they Out-E01 the E01 then they've moved the flashlight bar higher. The ONE thing I liked about the Klarus E01 clone was the base was more stable for tail standing than Fenix's tri-leg design.

That's good feedback. I'll mention it. Currently, the Lumintop Ant tail has also been identified as a good one:
http://www.lumintop.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/20170622023950_90971.jpg

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Rayus is another example of a good solid base. Similar to the original Fenix E05. Just much more stable and easier to tail stand. Looks wise, I've always thought the Arc AAA is at the top of the heap. So simple and industrial looking with its completely knurled body and minimalist markings. If it was a tail stander I'd prob still have one today.
Untitled by Six Pound Cat, on Flickr
Untitled by Six Pound Cat, on Flickr
That's good feedback. I'll mention it. Currently, the Lumintop Ant tail has also been identified as a good one:
http://www.lumintop.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/20170622023950_90971.jpg

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oddly enough when I had the two side by side the Fenix seemed more robust to me. Battery crusher design, foam ring glued to the head and the lack of tail standing sealed the deal for me. I love the look of the lug body but tail standing is a great feature on these little guys. It is crazy to think the Arc sold for 4 times as much as an E01 though.
I always thought of the EO1 as a poor man's ARC.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Ahhhhhhh yes. Clones. I'd love for other companies to make some more E01 clones.....and I would love to throw those clones off of the 3rd floor of a parking structure side by side with my E01 and see how the clone holds up. At this point, after having and selling both types of upgrades that Vihn did to the E01, (warm Nichia and Yuji) I have really just sort of settled in with the good old E01 in it's natural state. Aside from sanding the LED and torturing its exterior that is. The light kicks arse. It's small, simple, crazy tough, sucks the life out of batteries, and has very respectable runtime. A classic in every sense. But competition is of course good. So if other companies want to try to OUT-E01 the Fenix E01 then go for it! The worst that can happen is that they don't measure up and I get to keep up my E01 love letters.
Great post and I fully agree.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I guess you didn't check out that thread. They are doing exactly what Fenix was doing with E01, including potting and duplicating the driver. Don't get me wrong. I have at least 5 E01. They are bombproof but if someone makes one exactly like E01 with a better tint LED and for 1/2 the price.. why not??? Will I throw away my E01s, hell no. It's a classic in my book.
I'd be up for that.

LED_Power_Forums

Newly Enlightened
Nice to hear there is initiative to come out with the likes of E01 with better tint. I never buy E01 before due to the tint. Should this project succeeds getting into market I would like to try out both tint.

Warmcopper123

Newly Enlightened
can you PM me with who this maker is? or the thread you mentioned? would like to check it out

I would be interested in at least 2 of an E01 style light aaa,potted,good electronics same build quality with better tint if it existed. still leery of the concept coming to fruition successfully but keeping optimistic!!! would even pay a premium if reasonable for the added feature of a better tint .

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast

Warmcopper123

Newly Enlightened
Having reservations about this after reading through the BLF thread . Trying to figure out how a $6 light is gonna be the equivalent of the venerable E01? That's less than half the cost of an E01 and that cant be accomplished through magic of sorcery. something has to give some where to do this. either quality of material or labor costs need to be reduced to make it economically doable. Is it worth giving up quality for tint? I don't know. I think maybe no. anyone else doing the math on this and coming up short? 6 bucks don't even get you a meal at Mcdonalds anymore

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
Having reservations about this after reading through the BLF thread . Trying to figure out how a $6 light is gonna be the equivalent of the venerable E01? That's less than half the cost of an E01 and that cant be accomplished through magic of sorcery. something has to give some where to do this. either quality of material or labor costs need to be reduced to make it economically doable. Is it worth giving up quality for tint? I don't know. I think maybe no. anyone else doing the math on this and coming up short? 6 bucks don't even get you a meal at Mcdonalds anymore

Right, so the E01 is a 10 year old design. I am sure there has been advancements in manufacturing and design efficiencies since then to produce a light similar to this. Just reading the thread it seems like Sofirn is looking to become an established brand so perhaps they are willing to accept thin/no margins for a group buy?

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Trying to figure out how a $6 light is gonna be the equivalent of the venerable E01?

Sofirn is cutting out the middle man.

When I tried to order from Fenix directly, they were not willing, they insisted on inserting their dealer between me, the buyer of a 1000 lights, and Fenix, the manufacturer.

So basically, the US Fenix distributor was going to cause the price to double. I have no doubt Fenix sells the E01 for $6, to their dealer, who then sells it for $15, and puts it on sale for $10.

You have to count the middle men, when considering pricing.

Sofirn wants to sell more lights. They are in a position to make a guaranteed sale of Hundreds of lights, without using a Dealer network, that doubles the price.

Quality, nah, its not about quality, its about quantity, volume...

Look at Massdrop, they are now selling Thousands of Lumintop Tools. Their marketing model cuts out the Dealer, they buy direct from Lumintop. So the consumer now can buy Tools for less than they used to, and Lumintop still makes the same wholesale profit they did before. What changed is there are less middle men in the deal, and more volume, so Massdrop can make profit by selling large volumes.

That is what Sofirn is doing, they are offering a wholesale price, for a "group buy" that guarantees them Hundreds of Sales.

There is nothing special about an aluminum tube with a battery and an LED. Anyone with the equipment can make one. The trick is to achieve economies of scale, by selling large quantities, at wholesale.

Warmcopper123

Newly Enlightened
well yeah maybe. but advancements and inflation also require prices to go up not down on most things. that way profit margins increase ? Im not an economics guy but $6 now gets you a lot less than $6 ten years ago

Monocrom

Flashaholic
well yeah maybe. but advancements and inflation also require prices to go up not down on most things. that way profit margins increase ? Im not an economics guy but $6 now gets you a lot less than $6 ten years ago

Honestly, even 10 years ago $6.oo still didn't get you very much. That's the insidiousness of inflation. By the time enough decades go by for people to notice a difference, most don't due to amount of time that has gone by.

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
They might only sell $6 at the beginning. Then I bet a few people will post and do reviews on a few sites and if it really does compare to E01. Then raise the price by $2-3, still many will buy.