Fenix HL35 review

narmattaru

Enlightened
Fenix HL35 2хАА headlamp was provided by fasttech for review (URL is not referral, manager asked to post this one just to evaluate popularity of product. clear URL is here )

I decided to post review of pair of similar headlamps to make it easier to compare both of them. Now at fasttech price of these 2 models is lower than in other stores + BLF coupon can reduce 5% of it.
5228a8.jpg

• Max brightness— 450 lumen (turbo with 14500)
  • 8 modes;
  • Neutral white XP-G2 (R5) and red light LED
  • IP-68 waterfroof;
  • Support 14500 \ АА (Ni-Mh, alkaline);
  • Max distance— 90m;
  • 68.8 mmx 45mmx46mm\ 122g
  • Memory modes
  • AOR coated glass

PACKAGE.
HL35 comes into blister, which I personally don`t like. Box is better for holding all the stuff like manual,o-rings etc.
d9b7a2.jpg

48ccdd.jpg

We have:
  • Headlamp
  • 2хАА batteries
  • manual
  • warranty card
  • o-ring
a5fbf4.jpg

Hl35 is a kinda solid aluminium barrel with LEDs in the middle.
3813fa.jpg

a2c614.jpg

Reflector is shallow and OP for XP-G2, and red LED locates near white LED in separate narrow pit with smooth sides.
1ac9a0.jpg

3031cd.jpg

There is 2 soft clicky buttons from one side. Each of these sides has notching to help adjusting headlamp angle (headlamp firmly keep this angle).
9cd88a.jpg

After unscrewing one of this sides, we see rotating pin, which provides matching contacts.
3f9770.jpg

bdd47a.jpg

What I don`t like after seeing insides, is that electronic board is not isolated. So in case that AA battery will leak (often situation) this may ruin headlamp. For me this is almost the only one, but major disadvantage of HL35.
8595d2.jpg

There is no cooling ribs. Machinery is good, threads are well lubricated
When put on head, HL35 sits there comfortably. The read part of headband has socket for cable of spare battery.
371428.jpg

UI
big button
click turns lights on in last used mode. 0.5 sec click will turn headlamp off.
Short clicks will switch brightnesses in low-mid-high order.
Long click will turn 30 sec turbo

Small button
Click and enter special modes – constant red\white light SOS\blinking red.
Long click will switch light to a primary LED , which is XP-G2

LIVE EXAMPLES
HL35 makes a diffused floody light with nice tint. Personally I prefer this to Nitecore HA20 light. I almost never use light in distance mode 10m. So for nearfield activity, light of HL35 is really good and sufficient.
There is no PWM shimmering in any mode. Red light is completely useful. That is an ideal variant which protects night vision.
Stabilization is a way better comparing to HA20. Please check final part of video.
door.gif

les.gif

OVERALL IMPRESSION

Totally positive (if I don't count insides that are not leaking-proof). Of course for this price you can find 18650 headlamp, but that is another story.
+a lot of modes
+good and really working red light
+nice stabilization
+can be powered with a pair of 14500
+feels ok on head.
+good floody light
I have to underline this – though headlamp can be powered with 14500 battery, it give just small advantage in brighter turbo. The rest is the same, even runtime is shorter.
What is prefer? Fenix HL35 is better for my needs then Nitecore HA20. For other reasons like fishing HA20 caould be better.

Last edited:

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice review! :)

You might want to edit the subject though as the HL25 is a 3xAAA headlamp so it's going to be confusing if people search threads. You can change the subject by going to Edit Post > Go Advanced!

Last edited:

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad to see someone else giving this headlamp attenrion. I reviewed mine a few months after getting it and man is just a sweet little light. I use mine all the time for everything.

narmattaru

Enlightened
thanx

btw, 3-4 october there will be 10% discount on all fasttech items, discount code "autumn"

esprout

Newly Enlightened
I just got this light today. Pretty decent light. Main complaints are that it's a little heavy, the mode spacing could be better with lower candlelight and low and higher mid. So maybe 0.2, 20, 80, 200 lumens instead of the 0.5, 30, 70, 200 lumens spacing. With the current spacing, the change from 30 to 70 is good for indoors but not so noticeable for outdoors. While the jump from 70 to 200 is pretty big. But I have a zebralight and am a bit spoiled by the flexibility it provides.

To get to turbo mode, the light turns off first before it goes to turbo. This is a bit disconcerting. A double click to activate turbo mode would make more sense.

Finally, the light does not have a lockout mode. The contacts make an electrical connection immediately when you put the cap on the body.

Question for the review, what did you mean by the rear part of headband has socket for cable of spare battery. How would that work exactly? Also small typo read instead of rear, I had to stare at it for a while to decode the word, especially since I don't know how this can carry a spare battery.

cdm-dude

Newly Enlightened
I've had this light for about a year. It was the best pick for what I needed, out of all the headlamps out there, not just from Fenix.
I'm almost very pleased with it. Things that I like the most about it:

Perfect flood.

Nothing but the headband on the back of the head. I love it that I can just switch the red light on, lay back and read a book.

The ability to accept pretty much every type of AA cells.

The option for the 14500's. Even though it's useful only in turbo, it CAN potentially come in very handy. Being a 'headlamp' as opposed to a 'searchlight' this lamp doesn't really have a hot spot, which means the reach is kind of limited. When navigating through treacherous mountainous and rocky terrain at night, you do need the extra reach for searching out the optimal path before committing to it. With the non-Lithium-ion's, the output on this headlamp may not be enough. The extra reach you would get in the Turbo mode with the 14500 cells could potentially spare you the need to also carry a searchlight.

Cons:

The modes aren't that great to operate, especially with gloves or mittens.

My major complaint, however, is the over-voltage cutoff. I use Energizer Lithiums almost exclusively in all of my flashlights. When fresh, they measure about 1.82V.
This headlamp will simply not accept them in this state. So, every time I need to put in a fresh set I have to discharge these cells a little for the voltage to drop below 1.8V. It's not a big deal really, but in a scenario where you need to replace the batteries quickly and all you have are fresh Energizer Lithium cells, this can be a problem. It's obvious what Fenix has to do about this "issue".

Last edited:

inspirit

Newly Enlightened
I have been considering getting myself a headlamp, and this HL35 seems to be the answer to many of the things I considered. I'll surely have a better look at this one...

esprout

Newly Enlightened
I've had the light for a couple weeks now. I have to say the light operates very efficiently and does a really good job of getting all the power some of my really old NiMH cells have left to give. I'm surprised on some of those that can't supply as much current anymore the headlight can still go into turbo mode. The light also does a very good job of dropping down to a lower mode as the battery drains without flickering or funkiness that some of my older lights suffer from.

seantik

Newly Enlightened
I like the headlamp a lot. Nice size and nice features. I do have on question.
Is it possible to take off the headband and rubber completely like for instance the Nitecore HC50, Thrunite TH10 etc?

Form time to time I would require it to slip it in to a small pocket or hide it inside my hand.

leeholaaho

Newly Enlightened
Great light - use it daily - a little heavy but when you get involved in something you forget it's a little heavy

discontinued according to Fenix website

Still can be had from other sources -

Nice review - thanks

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm hoping Fenix replaces it with a similar light, maybe a 2018 upgraded version that gets rid of previous limitations!

Loverofthelight

Newly Enlightened
First, thanks narmattaru, for the nice review!

I personlly like this headlamp except that it is a little heavy to me.