FENIX HP10 (NEW HEADLAMP !?)

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
If we remove the reflector , won't this give us very bright total flood , brighter than a Zebralight.

I ordered the difuser too , so I'll be trying it both ways.

Maybe that will make it an all-purpose headlamp , close and far.

JackJ

Newly Enlightened

Definitely won't be my go to headlamp without a pack.

To repeat a question already asked, but crucial to those of us looking for a running headlamp: Is the weight of the battery pack on the headstrap just too much for running?

I've never had a headlamp with 4AAs, or with a rear mounted battery case. I've done ok with the Eos, but was hoping better weight distribution with a separate case (even though it's 4AA in place or 3AAA) might be an improvement.

I rarely run with a pack, but do often wear running shorts (RaceReady brand) with multiple rear pockets where I could store a pack. If there's some good way to improvise a cord extension, I'd like to hear about that too.

Thanks all you early adopters!

Jack

Martin SH

Newly Enlightened
Thanks very much for that! Just what I was looking for. Going to order one I think....:twothumbs

Martin
Be careful what you wish for!...

Click here for HP-10 slide show.

4012083305_20f491a049.jpg

kwkarth

Enlightened
kwkarth and AWS123, who seem to have been having battery issues, so no reports :ohgeez:

Mike, I did not have a battery issue. It seems that the uP glitched, which can happen to any uP controlled light. All it took to fix was a reboot.

kwkarth

Enlightened
To repeat a question already asked, but crucial to those of us looking for a running headlamp: Is the weight of the battery pack on the headstrap just too much for running?

I've never had a headlamp with 4AAs, or with a rear mounted battery case. I've done ok with the Eos, but was hoping better weight distribution with a separate case (even though it's 4AA in place or 3AAA) might be an improvement.

I rarely run with a pack, but do often wear running shorts (RaceReady brand) with multiple rear pockets where I could store a pack. If there's some good way to improvise a cord extension, I'd like to hear about that too.

Thanks all you early adopters!

Jack

Using NiMh batteries, the pack mass would be noticeable. If you use neverready lithiums, the mass would decrease quite a bit. I think it weighs 70gm by itself. You might also consider placing some high density foam between cranium and batt. pack for running.

GaryF

Enlightened
I agree with kwkarth, for walking or biking no problems, but for the extra bouncing that comes with running the weight of the battery pack could start to be a problem. For an all night hike, which I have done a few times, it's the first light I would reach for. For a run, I'd have to weigh my options more carefully.

azjosho

Newly Enlightened
Regarding using the headlamp for running. If you wear it on your head, it would be okay for a mile or two, but too heavy for much more than that. I took it on a 20 mile trail run the other night and it was great! I also have a Petzl MYO RXP. I like the diffuser better on the Petzl, but you cannot beat the run times of the HP10.

I wear the light around my waist. I'm 6'00 185 pounds with a 34" waist and it fits fine. If you want to run with a headlamp I suggest you try wearing it around your waist. It is much more comfortable and the angle that it lights the trail is better because the shadows stand out more.

This is HANDS DOWN the best running headlamp if you wear it around your waist.

Polish Mike

Newly Enlightened
Azjosho, how would you compare the Myo with the HP10? Is there a noticable difference in weight/wear comfort with the added battery? Any other comments about usability and quality besides the diffuser?

Stevie

Newly Enlightened
A bombardment of questions....well here's another :laughing:

The fenix website suggests the stated run times are using 2500 mAH batteries. If you were to use 2700 mAH, I presume that the run times would increase, but could the extra capacity damage the emitter??

I know the HP10 goes back to 'high' after 3 min, but is there more current being fed to the emitter when using the higher capacity batteries??

Thanks!

AusKipper

Enlightened
A bombardment of questions....well here's another :laughing:

The fenix website suggests the stated run times are using 2500 mAH batteries. If you were to use 2700 mAH, I presume that the run times would increase, but could the extra capacity damage the emitter??

I know the HP10 goes back to 'high' after 3 min, but is there more current being fed to the emitter when using the higher capacity batteries??

Thanks!

it would do no damage. It is extra capacity, thus the batteries maintain charge longer. It is not extra voltage.

Just like putting a bigger fuel tank on you car does not damage the motor..

JackJ

Newly Enlightened
This is HANDS DOWN the best running headlamp if you wear it around your waist.

I guess I'll have to give this technique a try, eventually, as it has lots of advocates. I would think I'd miss the ability to hunt out the trail by turning my head, though.

What's your technique for mounting the HP10 on your waist?

Jack

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
first impressions ...........

When received , this light is in a hard to open Wal-Mart style stiff blister pack ....

So my first thoughts were .....................

We'll be seeing this light SOON ....... in Wal-Mart !

Why else would it be packed that way ?

Now I have to go assemble it .

Mattole

Newly Enlightened
SO.. DOES THIS REALLY BLOW AWAY THE APEX PRO IN TERMS OF LIGHT OUTPUT / THROW DISTANCE? IS THIS THE ONE?

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm beginning to think you access it from the rear. (4 screws)

Looks like the lens assembly is bonded to the case ?

I won't try to un-screw it till I've tried accesing from the rear.

Marko

Newly Enlightened
Hmm... right from the hard-to-open blister pack, and look at the screws - seems like it has been opened already (with wrong/improper tools):

hp10back.jpg

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Oh why don't they use torx?

dcycleman

Enlightened
Hmm... right from the hard-to-open blister pack, and look at the screws - seems like it has been opened already (with wrong/improper tools):

hp10back.jpg

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Oh why don't they use torx?
the guy assembling it just tightened it up a hair too much