Fenix HP20 released !!

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I understand the point but I didn't tought for a 1 meter cable it could have this effect.
Also I know the driver need to be near the LED for over heating protection feature. By the way we still don't know if the HP20 have this protection ?

The voltage would drop although it may be very little while having the circuit regulate 6v down to 3.5 it matters not if the voltage drops 0.2v over the length of the cable that would make 5.8v which regulates down the same while 3.5 to 3.3v would affect the LED output. I think this may however not be one issue that could be problematic, the PWM could make for RF interference if piped over the cable to the headlamp or they would have to use shielded cable with multiple wires and shield the battery case where the driver would be while having the driver in the headlamp probably is less of a problem.

jhirsche

Newly Enlightened
My first post here, but wanted to say I've been reading following this forum for years since I got my River Rock K2 headlamp at Target.

Anyway - that finally gave out on me (bad connection)... so decided it was time to upgrade. Just got my HP20 in the mail today (from fenixtactical.com) - put in a set of Energizer eneloops.... and am just wowed at the output.

Never bought a Fenix lamp before... comes in a nice hardcase (plastic)... seems very sturdy... and will be testing the waterproof feature soon. I use this while night fishing (wading in water waist deep) for walleye here in upstate NY.

Wondering if I should upgrade to a Maha C9000 and some of the powerex 2700mah AA's, or even the Imedion 2400mah AA's?

Anyone else get their HP20 yet?

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wondering if I should upgrade to a Maha C9000 and some of the powerex 2700mah AA's, or even the Imedion 2400mah AA's?

Anyone else get their HP20 yet?

You can't go wrong with the C9000. I'm going to get a second one myself.
Get the Imedion 2400's. They are pretty good.

:welcome:

Have a question for you though. Is there a time limit on turbo?

Flashfirstask?later

Enlightened
If you can get the Sanyo eneloops or the white topped pre-charged Duracells for a good price then those will be a good option also. Do not get these on eBay.

Last edited:

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
It looks like a great headlamp especially its detached battery pack. However, I am worried by its large reflector. It seems like too throwy for a headlamp to be practical. I have a Silva that was very bright (by then standard). I trashed it having used it only once for a night hike due to small bright hotspot.

For headlamp, it should have floodier hot spot. A photo of its beam pattern would be very helpful.

Alan

LittleBill

Newly Enlightened
shows up close, but 0 beamshot.

needs to have a better review, camera was entirely too close to really get a good idea

leaftye

Newly Enlightened
An optional battery pack designed for 4 c cells or better d cell would be fantastic for me, i work night shifts on the rail way so i need long runtimes

That would be pretty sweet. I'd hate to buy and charge nimh D cells though.

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Finally, an xp-g headlamp after waiting far too long! Just in time for Christmas; my 5 year old son didn't need any kid toys this year, anyway. This is more exciting, inticing, than the HP10 for me, because:

I like the deep reflector, and not just to see detail and objects from a greater distance. I typically find shallow reflectors that barely give enough lux for detail work with fresh batteries, to become useless after 40 minutes. This is no good for detail work. Give me more lux than I need on fresh cells, then, 5 - 8 hours later, I will still have good light for detail work. (painting/drywall repair/etc.) OTH, I find folding towels/clothes in basement, I do like more flood, and the hotspot becomes distracting. So it depends on task, so diffusers and flood/spot adjustable optics are really needed.

I also love the separate battery back, for comfort and long runtime options. I have made 4 AA packs, attached skinny elastic to make a 4 AA pack necklace to be worn under my shirt. The necklace design works just as well as tool belt design, but is easier at times than to get a good attachment on some pants. The tool belt design is needed for a 4.5 amp hour 6 volt 1.5 lb SLA, which I use for larger jobs. I see this pack could be converted to use an 6v SLA or more expensive/hard to get Lithiums (for at least 7.5 on turbo, where I assume with larger heatsink and more efficiency, there is no time limit)--a wise conversion would allow either fuels.

The case looks sweet too. But I would like to see the drop specification from 3+ meters, since dropping it is more likely and less controllable for me than getting it wet. It doesn't look truly 2 meter waterproof. for example, the battery case is dependent on only one o-ring that is prone to wear, stiffing, damage and movement. I am skeptical because I no longer buy watches with only 100 meter depth rating, since the last 10 (china made), fog up after a few baths and short out after 2 or less months. I can see a high return rate as people really start testing the 2 meter depth. This could lead to discontinuing the product.

I am interested in warmth and color rendering reviews. Also comparison with current lights.

I am recalling from months earlier research that r5 is about 130 lumen per watt, minus inefficiency from driver. I do think it is far too unfortunate that manufacturers cannot get the latest led in our hands a month or two after release. They would make more money, since it would make less sense to hold off the purchase.

Last edited:

petersmith6

Enlightened
while D cells might soung over the top.if you work nights you dont always remenber to recharger your cells food and sleep are usualy more important. also c cell or d cell would be much better in the cold. if to keep the maths simple you say lose 50 % of the capasity of a cell in the winter, then 50% of 2500mh leaves 1250mh (ouch.)..50% of 10000mh d cell leaves 5000mh i can work with that. ok 50 % is over the top ,but take in to acount self discharge then c or d cell do have there uses...now stick say duracels (20 amphour +) and things start to get real peachy. i would just like the oprion to use a much higher capacity power pack. somtime im away from grid for a week.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
while D cells might soung over the top.if you work nights you dont always remenber to recharger your cells food and sleep are usualy more important. also c cell or d cell would be much better in the cold. if to keep the maths simple you say lose 50 % of the capasity of a cell in the winter, then 50% of 2500mh leaves 1250mh (ouch.)..50% of 10000mh d cell leaves 5000mh i can work with that. ok 50 % is over the top ,but take in to acount self discharge then c or d cell do have there uses...now stick say duracels (20 amphour +) and things start to get real peachy. i would just like the oprion to use a much higher capacity power pack. somtime im away from grid for a week.

All that is made irrelevant by the external battery pack that can but put in an inside coat pocket and kept warm.

Nico_LED

Newly Enlightened
So what we need now to go forward is beamshots and turbo test mode to see if there is a time limitation ! :whistle:
I've got my finger on the trigger to order the HP20 and I can't wait :D

Stevie

Newly Enlightened
I don't think there is a time limitation when used in turbo. Fenix published the time limitation with the HP10 specs, but not with this one. As we've seen from the pics, there also appears to be additional heat sinking with that large head.

I'm treating myself with one of these for christmas.

Pete Moss

Newly Enlightened
OTH, I find folding towels/clothes in basement, I do like more flood, and the hotspot becomes distracting. So it depends on task, so diffusers and flood/spot adjustable optics are really needed.

I do HVAC work, and home inspection. So I need both spot and flood. With flood being a necessity. How does the Fenix HP20 rate as a work light.

I have a Princeton Tec Apex, now. I don't have the patience to modify it.

I see a number of people here have recommended Zebralight as a worklight, but it looks more like a flashlight on a headband. I am not sure how easy it would be to adust up and down. I would rather the batteries be on my belt or the back of my head than upfront.

Bottom line if money was no object what would be the best headlamp. I looked at the Petzl Ultra, but they say it overheasts indoors without any movement.

I am also looking the Petzl XPO.

And Coast Lenser is coming out with a new headlamp with variable power, and an adjustment to infinitely vary it from spot to flood. Whether the flood will be wide enough is a question that remains. And it is not being sold yet. Nor do I know how bright it will be. This is my first post here. I really know very little about lighting.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome: Could you elaborate on what sort of distances/space, HVAC involves? I'm thinking the HP20 is more of an outdoors light. If you are in confined spaces, something more compact might be better. For me, this would be on my bike helmet if the throw is better than my magicshine.

I see a number of people here have recommended Zebralight as a worklight, but it looks more like a flashlight on a headband. I am not sure how easy it would be to adust up and down. I would rather the batteries be on my belt or the back of my head than upfront.

It is very easy to adjust up and down. It's very light and you won't notice it at all. It doesn't have an adjustable flood/spot though.

And Coast Lenser is coming out with a new headlamp with variable power, and an adjustment to infinitely vary it from spot to flood. Whether the flood will be wide enough is a question that remains. And it is not being sold yet. Nor do I know how bright it will be. This is my first post here. I really know very little about lighting.

I dont know about the new H7 but with the old H7R, the focus system worked quite well, as does the dimmer. It uses a pot to dim so it's a smooth transition. It's expensive though. $30 more than the H7 even though it's pretty much the same thing except it comes with a charger and batteries. Not worth the $30 in my opinion. Very balanced with the battery pack at the back.

Pete Moss

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for a light that will serve as a drop light, an area work light, an auto inpsection mechanic light, an attic inspection light, and a warehouse roof inspection light. It should work from six inches to one hundred feet.

"I'm thinking the HP20 is more of an outdoors light. If you are in confined spaces, something more compact"

I do plumbing in confined spaces, but generally do not work in confined spaces. I am looking for a really bright flood light like the $500 Petzl Ultra for under $100.

I don't consider anything under $100 expensive.

Latest posts