Fenix HP30R

Loverofthelight

Newly Enlightened
I am guessing, xpg 3 in spot. Anyone know what bin? Bin of floods?

They probably saved $5 using the xpg over an xpl hi. Sadly.

Are the 18650s in parallel or series. If series, then a good buck driver and efficiency. I hate 3.7 volt single cell drivers. With protected 18650s, name brand, series is perfectly safe, as long as no parasite drain. Need a true off. Though the low voltage cut off should kick in. Also, I recommend monitoring cell voltage several times a week, during use, after charge and depleted. Make sure cells matched and charging is cutting off correctly.

Apparently, the toolbelt design is popular enough to keep making. I guess the subpar 3800 candela at 6.5 hours work setting, could squeeze out 8 hours with better cells. 3800 is a little dim bouncing from 1 meter to 2 meter for detail inspection, but is close enough that I would pass it.

They should have used a v5 4300kelvin xpl2 hi, not a $2 xpg for the spot.

As what I've read on Fenix official website, the 18650s charging is in parallel, while the discharging is in series. You can have a look. :grin2:

CyberCT

Enlightened
manager says that both parts of this light are IP-6, not 8

Thanks for confirming!

Can you also relay to your manager that if Fenix were to

Swap all the LEDs for the same good neutral white tint
use efficient modern LEDs so the headlamp doesn't get hot
include higher capacity 18650 batteries ore none at all (the charger case is excellent though)

..... Fenix would have a real winner! The above changes would make it perfect

fenix1

Newly Enlightened
Hello CyberCT, although neutral white tint owns a better light rendering, Fenix will not swap all the leds for neutral white tint because there are still many customers who like cold white light. As for leds, Fenix usually uses Cree's leds, may I know what kind of efficient modern leds you specifically refered to ? Thanks for your constant support for Fenix.

CyberCT

Enlightened
Hello CyberCT, although neutral white tint owns a better light rendering, Fenix will not swap all the leds for neutral white tint because there are still many customers who like cold white light. As for leds, Fenix usually uses Cree's leds, may I know what kind of efficient modern leds you specifically refered to ? Thanks for your constant support for Fenix.

Hi Fenix 1.

Basically I'm saying why did Fenix go for "neutral white" flood LEDs (even though the color tint is much more cool than neutral) and a cool white spot? Why not just keep the whole output of the headlamp neutral white? It's kind of silly. Having both flood and spot on at the same time is a great function but you can quickly tell the color difference between the 2 modes in real world use.
Fenix should have offered 2 versions. 1 with all cool white LEDs and 1 with all neutral white LEDs.
Fenix also should have gone with the new XPG3 instead of the XPG2, for instance. Why make a new light with outdated LEDs? The XML2 has been around for a while and I'm not sure what replaced it since I'm not completely up on new LED technology these days but I'm sure there's a newer LED that's more efficient.

My old HL55 headlamp is a few years old, has the perfect XML2 neutral white tint, and outputs over 400 lumens on high and barely gets warm. Here the high output for flood makes the headlamp VERY warm and on turbo the headlamp is cooking. Makes no sense.

Don't get me wrong, I have over a dozen Fenix lights over the years but lately they seem to be missing the mark by just a hair, like in this example.

Last edited:

Tripp Knightly

Newly Enlightened
I know thread's 6 mos old but I stumbled on it while researching the HP30R. I was just about to hit the buy button on the HP30R and then I read CyberCT's comments here. I'm going to wait until a new model emerges or buy something else. To not bring a product out w/ the latest LEDs when the HP30R's price point is so high (and especially for that reason) when the technology is continually advancing seems weird. And if I choose a neutral white light, yeah I want all the lights to have the same color temperature... I'm not even a compulsive person.

Like with so many things, I do realize nothing will be perfect and there will always be some shiny new thing 6-9 mos around the corner. But I'm keeping my powder dry.