Fenix L1/L1P 1st impressions - please post here

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
MillerMods said:
I think the Fenix L1 would be great with a AA 3.7V Li-ion and a 5 watt Luxeon. It can be done, because I have the circuit that will do it. half an hour run time per charge. Slightly underdriven for most of the runtime.

Thats not really practical due to overheating problems plus the short
runtime.

Whats more practical is the AA li-ion with a wiz2 driving at 520mah.
A 750mah cell runs flat full regulation for 1 hour 45 minutes. My fenix
gets warm but not too hot to pickup. :)

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hot it will get. I am leaning more to the 3 watt thought now. You are very persuasive you know. ;) I have found the circuit was easier to design to step up to 7 volts than trying to regulate the current at such a small step up / step down (3.0 to 4.2) to drive a 3 watt luxeon. What is this circuit you speak of? I am very interested, I would like one, do you make them / sell them?

paulr

Flashaholic
I just got mine. Overall grade 4 stars from 5, good value, I will buy a few more. Remarks:

1) It was a big pain in the neck to get the lanyard through the two holes. I ended up prying out the switch boot in order to more easily push the lanyard through the 2nd hole from the inside with a SAK tweezer. Then I had to take the switch apart to get the boot back in. I guess disassembling the switch is the right way to change the boot, too.

2) I did have some contact problems with either the switch or the head end. Disassembling/reassembling/tightening stuff fixed it. I notice the + contact is just a circle on a PC board, not even a solder bump. I will probably add a contact disc. I wonder how reliable the switch will be after it's been used for a while. It doesn't seem like that great a switch.

3) I don't have any clue how to get the head apart but for now I don't have a big desire to do that. Short of completely replacing the electronics I don't see what improvements are worth making.

4) Beam is nice, spill is nice but could be a bit wider. Color is neutral, maybe slightly blue. Donut hole is gone once the light is a few inches from the wall.

5) The finish doesn't seem ultra durable. The box indicates there's a silver version made and I think I'd like to buy that version for xmas gifts.

6) The light comes with spare O-rings and switch boot. That's thoughtful of the manufacturer but who's going to remember where they're stored by the time they're needed? With this talk of 50,000 hour LED's eliminating bulb replacements, manufacturers should look for ways to make lights that don't need any other maintenance parts either.

7) The gift box packaging isn't bad but doesn't scream quality the way that Longbow packaging did.

8) Actually this light is in some ways what a Longbow should have been, and I'd like to see a Longbow version (better construction and packaging, at higher price if needed).

9) Light has been running (on NiMH) for about 9 minutes in front of me and is only very slightly warm, compared with Arc LS which was quite warm after running this long at about the same power level(?). I think the LED and thermal system could handle more power. The limiting factor is probably what you can draw from an alkaline AA cell for any length of time. But I'd like for this thing to have tighter regulation (different electronics) to keep running at full power on an alkaline AA for longer. It's ok if it kills the cell in 1 hour, especially if there's a 2 stage switch that allows still getting some operation on low power afterwards.

10) after 15 minutes total the light has warmed up a bit more, still not much.

11) I'm not that crazy about the digicam lanyard and I'd have preferred a different lanyard setup, I'm not sure what's ideal.

Overall this is a terrific form factor and it's amazing that other lights haven't used it. The execution is pretty good but I'd like to see some better ones.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
FYI - I have posted my review of the L1p 2.5 on my site. No problems with the switch at all, although I did mention it since so many folks here seem to have had an issue.

Doug P.

Mike abcd

Enlightened
Nice review as always. Your site has helped this newbie a LOT and is deeply appreciated!

That alkaline run time graph is pretty ugly and might put some folks off without reason. It behaves a LOT nicer on 2500 mAH NiMH although you have to be careful to avoid over discharging them.

I realize it would increase the review effort a lot but it would be very helpful to see NiMH curves on some of the lights you review or comments on 3rd party runtime results. However, even without them, your reviews are consistently the best I've found with rare exceptions on individual lights.

Mike

Xygen

Enlightened
Yes, very nice review. And not affected by the hype here at CPF.
I hoped for NiMh an lithium runtimeplots too. But ok....

I just discharged my first NiMh (only a 1400mAh) with my Fenix L1P. When output dropped noticeable, I took the battery out and put it in my cpu-charger to check the remaining capacity. It had 1.06V while discharging at 100mA. It had only 23.5mAh left till 0.9V.

Just wanted to tell you guys. When output drops, the NiMh is almost drained!

Last edited:

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
My runtime plots are nearby here in the Reviews Forum....lithium plot included.

paulr

Flashaholic
I ran my L1P with a 2500 mAH Sanyo cell til it got dim (still putting out more light than an Arc AA). That took around 2.5 hours. I then put the cell on a Lacrosse BC900 and the initial voltage was something like 0.87 volts! I'd like to see a long runtime test with an alkaline battery and maybe I'll do one. That is, see if it's still putting out usable light after, say, 5 hours, 10 hours, etc.

Archangel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mike abcd said:
That alkaline run time graph is pretty ugly and might put some folks off without reason. It behaves a LOT nicer on 2500 mAH NiMH although you have to be careful to avoid over discharging them.
I don't agree with the "without reason" part. People should definitely be aware that the light needs NiMH or lithium to get close to spec.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
The graph is pretty ugly with alkalines but great with NiMH.

This creates a bit of a quandry when recommending the Fenix to "non-flashohalics". Most people I know do not use flashlights on a regular basis and if they do have NiMH batteries, it is generally just enough to run their cameras, wireless keyboards, mice etc. They will scream if they see the price of lithium AA batteries and end up feeding the L1P alkalines.

For flashaholics and folks that religously use NiMH batteries, it is a no brainer. For most people that use alkalines, it is a toss up. Maybe if the 2.0 was still available, I would be more inclinded to buy them as gifts.

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
BentHeadTX said:
The graph is pretty ugly with alkalines but great with NiMH.

This creates a bit of a quandry when recommending the Fenix to "non-flashohalics". Most people I know do not use flashlights on a regular basis and if they do have NiMH batteries, it is generally just enough to run their cameras, wireless keyboards, mice etc. They will scream if they see the price of lithium AA batteries and end up feeding the L1P alkalines.

For flashaholics and folks that religously use NiMH batteries, it is a no brainer. For most people that use alkalines, it is a toss up. Maybe if the 2.0 was still available, I would be more inclinded to buy them as gifts.

I don't completely agree with that. I've had non-flashaholic get quite
upset that a light (fully regulated) would just stop all of a sudden. He
prefered some kind of warning like a gradual dimming to warn him. I
tried and tried to explain to him the advantages of a constant output
but to no avail. I think the gentle sloping with alkalines is fine for
non flashaholics. Even at 25%, the fenix is still very usuable.
:D

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
The graph on alkalines is fugly to us flashaholics here, but it wouldn't mean much to an average joe just looking for a small high quality AA light. Compared to the hidious beam of your average minimag, or the "blue/white" flood of a cheap 5mm LED based light, the Fenix is already a giant step ahead.

Remember, brightness perception is logarithmic and the Fenix puts out good light (better than the highly venerated Infinity Ultra) even on standard alks for quite some time. It may not be the brightest it could be, but that's not the point. Similarly, I'd expect that non-flashaholics would be just as happy with the L1 version as the difference in brightness is only really noticeable when comparing the lights side by side (only something we flashaholics tend to do ;))

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Take for example jtice's awesome graph:
FENIX.jpg

Considering an arc aaa is about 40 lux and the infinity is about
the same... on Alkalines, the fenix would be at that level of brightness
after about 260 minutes. :D

Mike abcd

Enlightened
4sevens said:
Take for example jtice's awesome graph:

Considering an arc aaa is about 40 lux and the infinity is about
the same... on Alkalines, the fenix would be at that level of brightness
after about 260 minutes. :D

Good point although it's more like 180 minutes for the V2.5.