Fenix L1/L1P 1st impressions - please post here

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are a whole bunch of these things in the pipeline now. I thought it might be good to start a consolidated
"First Impressions" thread, rather than to have the information spread out all over CPF.

For a GREAT review of the stainless steel version, please click here.
(I did not want to hijack the thread by Cones.)

When you get you Fenix light, please post your impressions in this thread, where everyone can compare notes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Fenix: 1st impressions - everyone please post

I don't think you are jacking Cones thread.

This thread is for the Fenix aluminium HAII and HAIII lights while Cones thread is for the discontinued stainless steel light.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

Might want to change the title to Fenix L1/L1P 1st impressions..

Geologist

Enlightened

Aside from the HAIII, can anyone comapre the Fenix with say a QIII?

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'd say that'd be a bad idea, Geologist - the Q-III is a unknown-binned LuxIII using a reflector, so the beam color and type may be quite different from the Fenix L1P which uses an R-binned LuxI or just an unknown bin LuxI. Plus, if we're talking about the L1P, it has some sort of UCL camera lens in it, so that'll change the output slightly compared to the plastic Q-III lens.

Geologist

Enlightened

Agreed and understood. But what about build quality, etc? I am just trying to compare paying about the same amount for a Lux I light.

Kiessling

Flashaholic

Haesslich ... I thought that is what a comparison is all about ... comparing lights with a similar "usage" and form factor to be able to judge the differences in certain aspects.
If the QIII uses different components to achieve its performance won't render a comparison useless, quite the contrary.
IMHO /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
bernie

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
IsaacHayes said:
Might want to change the title to Fenix L1/L1P 1st impressions..

[/ QUOTE ]

Done.

(I can't wait for the reports to start being posted!)

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

Geologist, IMO, get the Fenix, you can always get the QIII later. The Fenix seems to be as close as possible to perfect light for CPF'ers. It's select enough that I probably won't mod it. You get a nice R bin (L1P) haIII, AR lens, brightness and runtime close to a SL Jr Lux, and very small size that runs on just 1 common AA. You can always find an AA to steal from something.. The QIII you can always get later for sure, and of course mod it if you wanted...

The Fenix is unique because it's the first affordable luxeon single AA light out there, and it's got darn good features too. The SS version had nice machining, I'm sure the L1/L1P will too.

Stainless: I can't wait till I have mine! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

chrisse242

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
IsaacHayes said:
The Fenix seems to be as close as possible to perfect light for CPF'ers. It's select enough that I probably won't mod it.

[/ QUOTE ]

In fact it might be the perfect light for non-cpf'ers. We who know how bright an LED-light can be, will probably be somewhat disapointed. But if this light comes out close to the advertised specs it might very well be a minimag-killer for many. Once led-development has gone far enough that this light doesn't need select parts, the price can go further down.

Chrisse

skr

Newly Enlightened

If it meets the specs it could even be a Mag 2D killer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

Chrisse: I didn't say it would be the brightest. Sure you can slap a U binned luxIII and a 3.7volt li-ion... But for CPF'ers that want a light that runs on a normal AA with a luxeon, this is about as good as you can get without paying a ton for a TNC AA. (you could up the output with a UXOH though... but not many can get them...) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Kiessling said:
Haesslich ... I thought that is what a comparison is all about ... comparing lights with a similar "usage" and form factor to be able to judge the differences in certain aspects.
If the QIII uses different components to achieve its performance won't render a comparison useless, quite the contrary.
IMHO /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
bernie

[/ QUOTE ]

Their usage may be similar, but it has to be tempered by the fact that a direct physical and technical comparison of the specs of the lights in question is going to be difficult and, in the end, not really mean all that much - the Q-III uses a LuxIII and a 3-3.6v battery and a polycarbonate lens, while the L1P is using a LuxI with a 1.5-1.7v battery and a UCL glass lens, with different-sized reflectors.

Beam patterns, throw, and lighting levels are going to be the only things we can compare, so long as we keep the above differences in mind; the runtimes will vary a bit based on the batteries involved, and the LuxIII's supposed to handle heat better than a LuxI, while the Fenix L1P has a picked bin for a relatively uniform output and a better lens.

As long as we remember those, we're good.

chrisse242

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
IsaacHayes said:
Chrisse: I didn't say it would be the brightest. Sure you can slap a U binned luxIII and a 3.7volt li-ion... But for CPF'ers that want a light that runs on a normal AA with a luxeon, this is about as good as you can get without paying a ton for a TNC AA. (you could up the output with a UXOH though... but not many can get them...) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, Sure, it's just that many cpf'ers are not that much in the market for a reasonable bright, inexpensive light that uses readily available batteries. Instead we go for "give me brightness, doens't matter if it needs 50$ worth of batteries for 10 min. runtime."
For myself, I agree. If this light delivers what it promises, it'll be great. Can't wait to get mine.

Chrisse

Geologist

Enlightened

my initial question about comparing the light with a QIII (I already own a QIII) was not to compare the function of the lights but more that both lights cost around $30 and I was trying to have a cost reference/value for $.

Marc

Newly Enlightened

Same here, I own a QIII (w/ r123 & dual switch) and I'm pleased with it (cost vs. brightness/runtime/size). I try to convince myself that I don't need an L1P and it's pretty hard to resist to jump in the GB. I'd like to see beamshots comparison of both QIII & L1P in order to make my mind. With that new 2.5 announcement, man it's hard to resist.

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast

Regarding the Fenix output,

I have a L1+ the beam pattern is very close to Arc4+. If the reflector design doesn't change for the new aluminium lights, then I would expect it to be similiar to the L1+.

The Q3 has orange peel reflector making the hotspot diffused.

L

LITEmania

Left : L1 (unknown 1watt), 1 AA Alkaline Fresh Energizer

Right : L1P(R*** 1watt), 1 AA Alkaline Fresh Energizer

1.5 Meter at Gray Wall

beamshot%20L1%20L1P.jpg

bhds

Enlightened
Received my L1P 2.0 today. As I posted in the groupbuy thread- this light kicks---!

Some first impressions:

Finish-I cant remember if this is supposed to be black or grey. Cant really tell. The finish is more of a matte finish and not smooth and shiny typical of other hard ano lights that I have. No imperfections but it does look like it will scuff more easily.

Switch- nice and smooth and is flush so standing on its tail is possible. Its a reverse clickie but unless you use momentary on a lot you wont notice the difference.

Beam- nice and "white". Nice smooth hotspot with fairly decent sidespill. When its gets darker I will try to compare to some of my other lights. Something kind of interesting is the strong purple halo that surrounds the actual beam/sidespill. Its not noticeable unless you are closer than a foot from a white wall.

Reflector- Very noticeable circular machining marks. Doesnt seem to affect the actual beam though. 4sevens said that this has been improved upon in version 2.5. Not a big deal to me.
With the light off the reflector has a very noticeable purple "shimmer" at certain angles. The purple halo in the beam is probably a result of this.

I have had the light on constant for the last 50 minutes with a fresh duracell coppertop. It is somewhat noticeably dimmer but is still putting a nice hotspot on a white wall from 6ft in a normal daylit room with the lights on.
For the price this is an incredible light! I'm glad I got more than 1. If you didnt get in on the groupbuy well..:nana: