Fenix L1/L1P 1st impressions - please post here

Phredd

Enlightened
I got mine! (L1P v2.0)

bhds said:
- this light kicks---!

I agree with everything he said. My first impression was that 4sevens sent me the wrong light, because I thought it was supposed to be gray. He said it was dark gray and I suppose black is THE darkest of gray... I would call it a satin black, which I very much prefer to gloss.

The light feels robust, except maybe the plastic cover of the tail switch which feels thin - at least compared to Surefire and Arc. They include a spare cover, which is nice, though it makes me wonder if they expect it to fail. The ability to stand on end is a very nice feature.

The reflector has very thin, distinct ridges, but as bhds says, they don't affect the beam. I think the beam is perfect. Aside from the very hot center, the halo is very even and more focused than other lights I've used, like the Arc LS (which this is now replacing).

For me, this light is very close to perfect. It's just the right length for the hand and significantly thinner than the Arc LS, though an inch shorter would be nicer for the pocket. It's plenty bright and I'm very happy with the runtime for a AA. If it weren't for curiousity, I would trade the 2.5 I ordered for another 2.0. I hope the new beam isn't too much narrower.

I hope other CPFers find these first impressions useful.

Phredd

Last edited:

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: I got mine! (L1P v2.0)

Sounds good everything I hear. The HAIII is dyed black and not natural. That is why it's a flat black. The HAII black is shiny like maglites.

bhds

Enlightened
2 hours 10 minutes. Output is still very useable. Good enough to poke around in my computer(which I did) or navigate in a dark house etc. I could envision this as a very nice edc light using a AA lithium with the ability to fall back to standard alkalines anytime anywhere. :devil:

Phredd

Enlightened
Re: Fenix L1/L1P batteries

redduck said:
is it really safe to run rechargables in this light.

The "manual" specifically warns to use only alkaline and NiMH -- and especially not to use 3.6v lithium batteries.

Phredd

redduck

Newly Enlightened
Re: Fenix L1/L1P batteries

Phredd said:
The "manual" specifically warns to use only alkaline and NiMH -- and especially not to use 3.6v lithium batteries.

Phredd

If the manual says it's OK to use NiMH then all is good.

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
redduck said:
Ni-MH will give you a much flatter discharge and longer peak run time. See http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91435&page=2&pp=30

But my question is that is it really safe to run rechargables in this light. I hope David can give us an answer here.

It is absolutely safe to use nimh rechargables. Their voltage is lower than
alkalines. It is also save to use 1.5V AA Lithiums - commonly available
in your grocery store.

It is NOT save to use lithium-ion cells because their V is 3.6-4.2v
Neither is it save to use 3.0v lithium cells - but you don't have to
worry about that, those are so rare to find - I've only found them here on
CPF from disassembled crv2 packs (or whatever they're called)

bhds said:
The expense and hassle of rechargeables is not for me.
It would take a long time to recoup the initial costs.:)

True, but if you use your light like mad it quickly pays off.
I bought 8 of these energizer 2500mah's from samsclub for $15.
I broke even after a month :) So I went back and bought 3 more packs :)

hookoo said:
Okay, I recieved mine today and want a 2.5 asl well. After this groupbuy how do I buy a another one?

If I may mention this early... jsburly.com will carry these soon. I think
he builds shipping into his prices so that will be nice. :)

redduck

Newly Enlightened
bhds said:
The expense and hassle of rechargeables is not for me.
It would take a long time to recoup the initial costs.:)

I already have a bunch of them so the initial expenses is not a problem. Your can buy a set of 4 AA, 2 AAA and the charger from Costco for $17. I use them in high drain devices such as my Sony short wave radio, and some of my daughter's toys. More importantly, NiMH will give you much flatter and longer peak run time, something like more than 2 hours at 80%.

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got mine today - one of the few NON-Premium lights ordered.

Looks good - nicely compact.
Threads ARE annodised - inner tail is NOT - all is GOOD.
Really cute pouch. (I LIKE pouches.)
Does solid tailstand- as advertised.
Minor negative - feels a bit slippery - front ridges could be deeper and further forward.

A little light that performs like a bigger light.
Approaching "perfection."

2dim

Enlightened
"Minor negative - feels a bit slippery - front ridges could be deeper and further forward."

I just wrap a few elastic bands around the barrel...

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
2dim said:
"Minor negative - feels a bit slippery - front ridges could be deeper and further forward."

I just wrap a few elastic bands around the barrel...

Thanks for the idea... but then again I guess I could use the lanyard that was supplied. (Imagine "slap forehead" emoticon here.)

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wal-mart sells "Digital Concepts" brand of Nimh batteries. 4 batteries (2200mah)and the charger for less than $10. I've been using them and they seem to work well, although I don't have any other brand to use for comparison.

bhds

Enlightened
Okay, okay. Quit with all the rechargeable stuff Any more and you guys might actually convince be to go and get some. :rant:
Actually, I didnt realize that you could get set up that cheaply.

Lights been on for exactly 6 hours continuous now and its pretty dim compared to when I started. But its still bright enough to navigate a darkened house. In fact its about the level I have my aleph 2 low level set at. A little dimmer than my Arc AAA premium(new version)

A couple of more observations:

The flat sides are the same diameter as the rest of the light. In other words It rolls off a flat surface pretty easily.

Since the diameter is uniform the length of the light, its fairly easily to confuse the front end from the back. I already put a big thumbprint on the lens.

For those that are anal about accidental discharges, you can lock it out by unscrewing the back end ever so slightly. It doesnt take much. Probably even less than whats required with a surefire l4 bezel. I can forsee some people reporting intermittent or flickering light when in actuality they dont have the backend screwed down all the way.

Time to change the battery in this baby and go and try to get some beamshots:wave:

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah man you guys are making me excited. I have to wait till mid-end of september before I get my 2.5! Sounds like just the light I've always wanted! :popcorn:

bhds

Enlightened
some beamshots

fenixvsaleph.jpg

fenixvsarc.jpg

fenixvse1e.jpg

Last edited:

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
bhds,

Very impressive beamshots. Looks really great. :goodjob:

redduck

Newly Enlightened
redduck said:
Your can buy a set of 4 AA, 2 AAA and the charger from Costco for $17.

Correction: it comes with 6 AAs, 2 AAAs and a charger. Very good deal. It's 2100 mah for AAs though, and 759 mah for AAAs.

2dim

Enlightened
"For those that are anal about accidental discharges..."

Had that problem myself...until I discovered 'Pampers'!