Fenix L2P - 1st impressions - please post here

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
Christoph said:
These first two I got are nice.The locktight was pink.I only took one apart because it was already loose.One drew .96a and the other .54a the lower draw was a little less bright.I found a new design in the reflector it had a shoulder around the edge that matched up with the LE I guess to keep from crushing the emitter Like one of my first L1P's did.it would also giv more mass in contact with the LE.If I take it apart again I will take a picture of it.Good progress in design changes it makes for a more protected assembly.Kudos to Fenix from me for this seemingly small change.I think I will get a few to mod these are calling for Lux V's under driven.
C:grin2::whistle::rock:

Is it possible to remove the reflector and produce a fully flood beam?
(Or would the lens just fall out of place, or what?)

PowerMatt

Newly Enlightened
I got my L2P in today and it's everything I thought it would be. My only real complaint is that the holster does fit a little *too* snug (as someone else reported, it can probably cause the HAIII finish to wear down). The color of the light is ever so slightly more purple than my L1P, but that's probably just the Luxeon lottery. Otherwise I love it just as much as the L1P. I'll put a beam comparison up soon (I know there have been others, but you can never get enough beamshots!).

Here's the beam comparison I promised. L1P <--> L2P. The color temperatures are noticably different, with the L2P seeming to be higher. While the brightness seems to generally be the same in this shot, to my eye the L2P appears somewhat brighter. As a note, both lights were being powered by Energizer 2500 mah NiMH batteries freshly chared a few days ago (no use since charging). Camera used is a Sony F717, auto white balace (seemed closest to what I was actually seeing), ISO 100, F3.5, 1/30 sec. shutter speed.
DSC00953.jpg

Last edited:

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Received mine today from Lighthound.

Definitely brighter than the L1P, snow white (I love that, I HATE greenies) and no quality issues.

I'm looking forward to getting the LOP to complete the collection.

Fenix has been LISTENING to us !

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great beam shots,
I've shown mine to a few non flashoholics and
the response was, Wow this thing is bright for its sixe,
ohhh its so white compaired to other torches, where did
you geyt it from, even had some people saying OOooh I'd like
one of those.

maglite

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone have runtime plots of the L1P vs. the L2P? I am mainly interested as to how regulated the output of the L1P is vs. the L2P.

DonnyD

Newly Enlightened
It sounds like the flat regulation is the biggest feature of this flashlight. And, its the biggest flashlight in the fenix collection. Then I said, "I keep saying biggest". Maybe this flashlight is just a little too big to be as cool as the L1P. I think it is.

It seems that the L series is all about stealth. Or it should be. That's just my opinion, but face it, I'm right. Two-thirds of the collection is small, got a cool black color, the long nose silencer-looking head makes it seem like a quiet thing with a long reach....streatching the power. Yeah, the L2 is outnumbered. It has the feel of an average addition to a smart looking house. It's trying to fit in. It is appealing for every reason, but not so much when you know what else is out there.

So I had mine modified. Thank you to Eric Miller. This is what the L2P is calling for. Now, it's BRIGHT. It has REAL COLOR, thanks to the nice lux, so things look real nice when you look around at them. The L2P stock is about looking around, in the dark, with a flashlight. The L2P mod is about sucking the night out of half of your big backyard. When I use it indoors, it feels like the lights are all on.

I think the L2 has been a real shocker to a group of folks who until just now were thrilled about getting a MinnieMag with their AARP membership. But in my reality, the L2P was made to be modified. At that size, it needs to be twice as bright as the stock L2P before you, me, or anyone can see stealth in the final collection.

A final word. I love the flat regulation that some lights have. But I can also take it or leave it. There is just a fixed amount of power in the system, so I don't mind eating it up one way or another. For the flat delivery, I enjoy my Inova XO. It's kind of stealthy with that tight beam.

Last edited:

MXDan

Newly Enlightened
I saw a friend's L1P and that made me decide to get the L2P. I liked it when I got it, but I was used to ARC LS length in my pocket, so it wasn't regularly carried.

However, since I picked up the CR2 battery adapter a week or so ago, I have yet to EDC anything but that outside of my house!! I absolutely love the light now!!! Smaller than any of my other EDCs and just as bright, or at least WAY whiter. She is DEFINATELY a keeper!!!

MXDan

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast
DonnyD said:
So I had mine modified. Thank you to Eric Miller. This is what the L2P is calling for. Now, it's BRIGHT. It has REAL COLOR, thanks to the nice lux, so things look real nice when you look around at them. The L2P stock is about looking around, in the dark, with a flashlight. The L2P mod is about sucking the night out of the dark space in about half of your big backyard. When I use it indoors, it feels like the lights are all on.

Thank you.

tommymeboy

Newly Enlightened
Mine is great, except I'd prefer a non-reverse clickie. Mine has a slight yellow tint around the hotspot of the beam. Very striking design, and still small for the light it gives- it's smaller than my old Ray-O-Vac penlight, but unlike the Ray-O, you can actually see in the dark with it! Wish I'd had one when I was a kid!

RebelXTNC

Enlightened
I've had my L2P for about 2 weeks now but had held off posting til it got a "real world" use. That still hasn't happened because I've been testing out some other lights, so I thought I'd chime in anyway with my first impressions rather than a review.
I was certainly impressed with the construction and looks of this light. It really is attractive but it's hard to quantify exactly why it has so much more appeal than many other lights.
The beam was even more impressive! And the tint of the LED was right on for me too. Definitely not a tactical light though with the stock reverse clickie. For a worklight this is fine. Would it be criminal to contemplate a clip on this light?
I was fully aware that this was a holster light, but I didn't think the lack of a clip would be as important as it's turning out to me. I doubt I could have resisted getting one anyway...

mrdctaylor

Newly Enlightened
I just got an L2P. I purchased it as a gift, but had to take it out to check it out a little bit. My first impressions:

- Batteries rattle quite a bit. I tried stretching the spring out but it didn't help.
- Spring looks/feels cheap like some of the cheapo Chinese lights I've bought.
- Clickie feels suspect. Hopefully it will hold up.
- The beam was quite purplish. Lux lottery I guess.
- The head looked loose so I took it off--and the o-ring was broken. I replaced it with one of the extras it came with, but I don't like the fact that it was split already. And it appeared to be lubed, so I dunno what the problem was.
- There is a sizeable (~ 1/8" gap) between the head and the body. It looks like it needs to be tightened down further, but it is as tight as it will go.

I guess it is an OK value for the money, but I wasn't all that impressed.

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone measured the current draw of their L2P's to see what they pull from the batteries?

Using a current meter, set it to the highest range available, and with the tail cap off, and just connect the positive lead to the body, and the negative lead to the neg. terminal of the battery. Probably won't know the exact power draw by measuring current using batteries, since the voltage will sag some undetermined amount, but it should give a rough idea.

Curious as to what the normal range is-

Last edited:

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I set it to the 10A setting and got 0.84 with a well used CR123
and 0.63 on a fresh CR123
I have no idea what that means.
840mA and 630 mA most likely.

I should mention I'm using the CR123 body made by a CPF member Nekomane in Japan that 4Sevens is selling.

*EDIT-1st test had bad battery*
630mA from 2 AA charged about a month ago 2500mAh energizer NIMH
760mA from 1 AA same

I could not get the L2p head to work on my L1p body. I used a dummy cell in the 2AA body to get the above results

Last edited:

GTI

Newly Enlightened
i set it to 10A, the result is:

750ma from 1 AA GP2300
540ma from 2 AA GP2300

GTi

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Made some measurements with a variable power supply and got these charts; pretty much shows the differences in design between the L2P and L1P;

Current draw vs. voltage

The current drops as voltage increases with the L2P, as it maintains a constant power input; below about 1.6V, it no longer maintains constant power. With the L1P, power just increases as voltage rises.

Light output vs power input

The light output measurements were done just by holding the light directly against the light meter, for a relative measurement only.
What's interesting is that the L2P shows a higher efficiency for all power inputs greater than 0.95W, which corresponds to an input voltage level of about 1.15V (across BOTH batteries) for the L2P and about 1.22V for the L1P. Neat how the L2P trace looks mashed at the upper part, because the power regulation results in a bunch of measurement points all at the same output power, regardless of input voltage.

Power draw vs. input voltage

This is just the calculated input power vs. the input voltage; you can see the regulation of the L2P throughout the range of input voltages from 1.6V on up. With the L1P, the more voltage it gets, the more power it draws, similar to a regular resistor.

Relative output vs. voltage

This shows the relative light output vs. input voltage; the L2P is brighter at its regulated output unless the L1P gets a voltage above 1.46, which is unlikely with regular cells.

Last edited:

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
cave dave said:
I set it to the 10A setting and got 0.84 with a well used CR123
and 0.63 on a fresh CR123

That looks reasonable, since your fresh battery supplies a higher input voltage, so the L2P doesn't need as much current to extract the fixed 1.42W when it's running in its regulated mode. As long as your battery doesn't drop below about 1.6V, then it's in regulation, and draws about 1.4W from the cells. When you start drawing above about 820mA, that's an indication your cells are beginning to drop out-