Fenix P2D Q5 Vs. Novatac 120P (Beamshots)

LA OZ

Enlightened
I can confirm that the 85P is similar in brightness to the standard P2D CE both on rechargeable Cr123. The 85P has better tint and I love the flood.

Mi6

Newly Enlightened
After all this I still have one dilema, what to choose? :thinking:
I'm affraid that the new P2D Premium 100 (175 lum) will be much better then 120P.
I'll wait few more days.

:popcorn:

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
After all this I still have one dilema, what to choose? :thinking:
I'm affraid that the new P2D Premium 100 (175 lum) will be much better then 120P.
I'll wait few more days.

:popcorn:
get what is best for you.but the lumens the fenix qoute is not out front.the Novatac is.and to say the P2D is better than the 120p. is quite frankly balderdash:nana:since you dont have either of these lights.how do you know.and where did 175 lumens come from thats not out front.i have a EMR1 which qoutes 200 lumens wow.but in reality its more like 140 out front.dont let high lumen qoutes fool you.JMO:D

Last edited:

Vinnyp

Newly Enlightened
:lolsign: to heavy.it's not like the novatac is a brick IMO 92g is not heavy. some people's gold bracelets i've seen are heavier.:crackup:the fenix some would say is to heavy for EDC and they would prefer their photon freedom or clone from lighthound weight 8gms:lolsign:

For me it's not so much about weight it's the size coupled with the weight it is a fair bit bigger (60%) than the P1D as well as being twice the weight. Do you really put a Novatac in normal trousers or jeans? If you do, do you think the slightly better beam and UI are worth all the extra bulk? I don't but that's why the world is a great place we can all choose what we carry. If size is even more of an issue I carry an Orb NS that is much heavier than the P1D but wins out on size. I'm getting a Ti soon to save weight so it must matter to me even if I am not riding a bike or backpacking. It's not the overall weight that affects you of course but it mis-shapes pockets and means something else has to go.

Last edited:

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me it's not so much about weight it's the size coupled with the weight it is a fair bit bigger (60%) than the P1D as well as being twice the weight. Do you really put a Novatac in normal trousers or jeans? If you do, do you think the slightly better beam and UI are worth all the extra bulk? I don't but that's why the world is a great place we can all choose what we carry. If size is even more of an issue I carry an Orb NS that is much heavier than the P1D but wins out on size. I'm getting a Ti soon to save weight so it must matter to me even if I am not riding a bike or backpacking. It's not the overall weight that affects you of course but it mis-shapes pockets and means something else has to go.
i agree we can all choose what we carry.but the weight and the size of the Novatac is not a problem for me. lol have you seen the size of my mobile phone.for me anyway i forget about the weight quickly.so it does not bother me.and like you said its choices thank god we have that.:twothumbs

dpled

Enlightened
Nice beam shots Digitaltoes:nana: From the looks of some posts... some could do it better.:whistle:

Great job Chris:thumbsup:

KingGlamis

Banned
Digitaltoes, I asked in page one but it got missed. Does the actual output to your eyes look the same or similar to the photos using a 2-second exposure? At the speed that light travels a 2-second exposure is a huge amount of time.

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Update with new beamshots.
... I placed the lights on a sawhorse 10' from the first cone in an attempt to keep the lights hotspots in the same general area.

+1 Great job.

If you'd like a suggestion, try a machinist's V block or something similar clamped to the sawhorse. Put a tube shaped laser pointer in the V and line up your sawhorse to a target spot centered on the shed. Then put each flashlight in the V and rotate/spin them 0-90-180-270 degrees to see how the beam shapes up depending on orientation. You may want to take four pix of each flashlight and chose the pix that line up the beams best for comparison.

You can always get a V block cheap at HarborFreight if nowhere else. I got a couple free with a $40 drill press. Handy little paperweights.

Last edited: