Fenix PD35 ,850 Lm,powerful,compact 18650 flashlight-REVIEW

FlashLion

Enlightened
Wow! New member here but coming from long time member at XDA-Developers forum. I love this review! Every question possible is answered. I just wanted to give you my 2 cents about a case for this flashlight. I am not happy with the factory cases at all. I wonder why they make such a great flashlight and send it with such a cheap case. I have used multiple different cases and found that the Maxpedition 5" flashlight case (MX1431B) is a great case for this light. It is very durable and stays on your belt not sliding around between belt loops. I know this is unrelated to the actual flashlight, just wanted to let you know it fits perfect in this case.
:welcome: Thanks for your comment.
Thanks for the info about the holster.
Most of the latest flashlights come with a thin holster or without holster.Manufacturers are trying to reduce the price and make their flashlights more competitive.
PD35's holster is not on the level of the flashlight,but it's good to have it.

Last edited:

seanborn1979

Newly Enlightened
No problem! I cannot say I am flashlight officinado but I do like to have high quality tools and a flashlight is a must have tool for everyone. I never used to carry them around on my person until the last few years when the quality of them and the battery life has come as far as it has.

Have any of you ever coated your light? I am picking up my FNS-9 tomorrow from being Cerakoted and I had the place Cerakote my PD32UE while my gun was being done. I didn't think about it until after I left, do you think it will affect the heat disapation? I can't see that if it did, that it would be enough to cause any harm to the light.

FlashLion

Enlightened
I don't know much about coating with Cerakote,but people do it,so it should not be a problem.
Maybe someone with more knowledge will share his opinion. :poke:

seanborn1979

Newly Enlightened
Well it didn't get coated. My guy working on it couldn't get it apart without the fear of of breaking it. But he did decide to go and buy one for himself..lol!

teacher

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the great review.... complete with fantastic pictures.
I just received one of these lights and am more than pleased with it! :thumbsup:

dekxx

Newly Enlightened
just got this about a week ago. Today as I was playing with it, I noticed that the mode switch has become a bit unresponsive and once in a while the brightness will not change when I press the switch and have to press it harder to change the modes. The mode switch may have become less sensitive. Anybody else have this problem? It is not so bad so am holding out on contacting Fenix for replacement under the 2 year warranty.

FlashLion

Enlightened
Thanks for the great review.... complete with fantastic pictures.
I just received one of these lights and am more than pleased with it! :thumbsup:
Enjoy it :twothumbs

just got this about a week ago. Today as I was playing with it, I noticed that the mode switch has become a bit unresponsive and once in a while the brightness will not change when I press the switch and have to press it harder to change the modes. The mode switch may have become less sensitive. Anybody else have this problem? It is not so bad so am holding out on contacting Fenix for replacement under the 2 year warranty.
Hello.
This is the first time I read about a problem with PD35.If the problem still exists when using fresh batteries,you can contact your dealer and ask for replacement.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

T4R06

Enlightened
my 5yr old daughter attend to a trick or treat @ Mystic Seaport here in CT and i gave her this little light loaded with 18650 with the diffuser on it. LOL all people are looking at us, all of them are holding led lanterns that can be bought @ BBB

its so bright and from start to end the setting is on Medium. sometimes she flicks it on TURBO and some are mad LOL

Djs105

Newly Enlightened
I just wanted to use my first post on the forum to thank you for such a great review. I was doing some research on the light in several places and found yours to be the most helpful. So much so that I created an account on the forum and my PD35 came in the mail today.

Now I need to peruse the forum a bit and pick a good battery and charger.

FlashLion

Enlightened
I just wanted to use my first post on the forum to thank you for such a great review. I was doing some research on the light in several places and found yours to be the most helpful. So much so that I created an account on the forum and my PD35 came in the mail today.

Now I need to peruse the forum a bit and pick a good battery and charger.

Thank you!
Congratulations on the light.
I use protected Keeppower batteries and Nitecore I4 charger. I am pleased with them.
Fenix has now a new 3400mAh battery and very interesting smart charger.They are also a good choice.
:welcome:

Last edited:

Djs105

Newly Enlightened
Thank you!
Congratulations for the light.
I use protected Keeppower batteries and Nitecore I4 charger. I am pleased with them.
Fenix has now a new 3400mAh battery and very interesting smart charger.They are also a good choice.
:welcome:

The light came with an Egtac 3400mAh battery and Lanbo charger. I'm pretty sure I don't trust either one. I'll be looking into your recommendations. Thank c

I also need a heavier duty belt case as I am a Police Officer and I plan on carrying this light at work. The one that comes with won't fit on my belt.

FlashLion

Enlightened
The light came with an Egtac 3400mAh battery and Lanbo charger. I'm pretty sure I don't trust either one. I'll be looking into your recommendations. Thank c

I also need a heavier duty belt case as I am a Police Officer and I plan on carrying this light at work. The one that comes with won't fit on my belt.
I don't have Eagletac batteries(I think this is the battery you have-green and white color),but as far as I know they are one of the best batteries,well made protection circuit and original Panasonic cell inside. You can use it without a doubt.
About the charger,I don't know it. I am pleased with the Nitecore I4 charger that I use.Not the best build quality,but charging quite well and fully stops when the batteries are charged.
You can see more recommendations in the "Flashlight electronics" part of the forum.

Stainz

Enlightened
Last Saturday found me in a locally owned outdoors store. They had a stack of PD35's on the counter sale-priced at $70. Recalling your excellent review, I grabbed one - and a Fenix 18650 (I got an I2 charger and a pair of 18650's with my M22 in the late summer. My M22 and older M21 worked nicely off of the 18650's, so I was recently sold on them.). The PD35 is a new favorite here - a handy size and super easy to use, too. Thanks for the excellent review. I don't know what this world is coming to... I am a dyed in the wool Surefire & CR123 lover... and now I am bragging on my Fenix and Olight lights - and Li-ion rechargeables. I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks!

HIDblue

Enlightened
Great review and oustanding photos/videos. Thanks for putting in all of that work/time. :thumbsup:

FlashLion

Enlightened
Last Saturday found me in a locally owned outdoors store. They had a stack of PD35's on the counter sale-priced at $70. Recalling your excellent review, I grabbed one - and a Fenix 18650 (I got an I2 charger and a pair of 18650's with my M22 in the late summer. My M22 and older M21 worked nicely off of the 18650's, so I was recently sold on them.). The PD35 is a new favorite here - a handy size and super easy to use, too. Thanks for the excellent review. I don't know what this world is coming to... I am a dyed in the wool Surefire & CR123 lover... and now I am bragging on my Fenix and Olight lights - and Li-ion rechargeables. I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks!
Congratulations on the new light. PD35 is really good combination of compact size,high brightness and battery type/capacity.
Enjoy it.:thumbsup:

Nice review !
Thanks.
Great review and oustanding photos/videos. Thanks for putting in all of that work/time. :thumbsup:
Thanks.

Last edited:

bikerdog

Newly Enlightened
Outstanding review. I have been searching all over the internet for a review of this light and this is by far the most thorough I have been able to find.

LAMPARITA

Enlightened
Thank you for the great review! I'm sure Surefire is a great brand and may have once been the best lights around but now they are just overpriced compared to other manufactures that have more advanced features/outputsbut. I can't afford to spend all that $$$ on something I can get for a much better price, Fenix is way more reliable than people once thought, I'm very happy with my PD35, flimsy holster but it rides perfect in my carpenter jeans utility pocket. By the way, FenixTactical has leather holsters for this particular model but can not believe their prices.. $50.00 BUCKS!!...who in their right mind is willing to spend all that $$$ on a flashlight holster?....and once shipping is included price comes up to almost $60.00...RIDICULOUS!:shakehead

FlashLion

Enlightened
Outstanding review. I have been searching all over the internet for a review of this light and this is by far the most thorough I have been able to find.

Thank you for the great review! I'm sure Surefire is a great brand and may have once been the best lights around but now they are just overpriced compared to other manufactures that have more advanced features/outputsbut. I can't afford to spend all that $$$ on something I can get for a much better price, Fenix is way more reliable than people once thought, I'm very happy with my PD35, flimsy holster but it rides perfect in my carpenter jeans utility pocket. By the way, FenixTactical has leather holsters for this particular model but can not believe their prices.. $50.00 BUCKS!!...who in their right mind is willing to spend all that $$$ on a flashlight holster?....and once shipping is included price comes up to almost $60.00...RIDICULOUS!:shakehead

Thank you. I am glad my review is helpful for you.