Fenix PD35 ,850 Lm,powerful,compact 18650 flashlight-REVIEW

BillSWPA

Enlightened
Thank you for the excellent, informative review. I continue to be amazed at the absolute professional quality reviews being posted here.

I have had some familiarity with the Fenix brand for years, but now that my personal focus is changing from high priced lights to mid-priced, top quality lights, it is a brand I intend to try personally at some point in time. This light appears to be a very good choice.

My only criticism is that I would prefer to see strobe mode instantly available. I would need to do some experimentation with people who know more about strobe techniques than me to learn whether having it come on one second later is even useful, but having it come on immediately is unquestionably better.

FlashLion

Enlightened
Thank you for the excellent, informative review. I continue to be amazed at the absolute professional quality reviews being posted here.

I have had some familiarity with the Fenix brand for years, but now that my personal focus is changing from high priced lights to mid-priced, top quality lights, it is a brand I intend to try personally at some point in time. This light appears to be a very good choice.

My only criticism is that I would prefer to see strobe mode instantly available. I would need to do some experimentation with people who know more about strobe techniques than me to learn whether having it come on one second later is even useful, but having it come on immediately is unquestionably better.

Thank you for your comment!
PD35 is not from the Fenix tactical series which is TK. It is good to have a Strobe mode,but here it is not for rapid response.
My personal opinion is- if you need to use strobe for defense you will need it instantly and mostly momentary.No time to wait a second or two.

Obone

Newly Enlightened
Great review. I bought this after reading the review and have loved it. I also found out that my old Surefire filters work great on it. It now is my primary carry light for hunting.

FlashLion

Enlightened
Great review. I bought this after reading the review and have loved it. I also found out that my old Surefire filters work great on it. It now is my primary carry light for hunting.
Thank you! Glad my review is helpful.
It's great to have some filters for the favorite light.:thumbsup:

LAMPARITA

Enlightened
Why not use the original ones from Fenix designed for the PD35?They can be pre-ordered now and expected around 12-20-13

balto charlie

Newly Enlightened
Hi: Excellent review,seriously. I would like to address the feature that drops the brightness down to 450L. Resetting a light while cycling in traffic at 30 mph does not work for me.

You stated:
"....As a high performance light,the PD35 accumulates significant heat while at Turbo output.To protect the light and battery,PD35 drops down into the High brightness level after running at Turbo output for about 5 minutes.There is another step down to Mid brightness level after about 30 minutes working on High mode. These steps down are time controlled,so If you want again the higher mode you just have to reset the light(If the flashlight is to hot,reset is not recommend and can cause damage to the flashlight)."

My needs are for cycling. My commute is 1 hour long, I want 1 hour of turbo high run-time. Since I cycle at night during cold periods my lights tend to be cold(very cold). Overheating is never an issue as they are 'forced air cooled" so to speak. So will this light still drop to 450L in 5 minutes? Then drop again to medium after 30 mins? Is this time driven or temperature driven??? I already have a 450 lumen (or better) bike lights. I want a brighter light so this Fenix is appealing, small, self contained, waterproof and really bright. Fenix quality is far superior to most other brands.

Thanks again for your review. I did read most replies including Yeti(cyclist). Hopefully he will chime in as well.

Regards, Charlie

FlashLion

Enlightened
Hi: Excellent review,seriously. I would like to address the feature that drops the brightness down to 450L. Resetting a light while cycling in traffic at 30 mph does not work for me.

You stated:
"....As a high performance light,the PD35 accumulates significant heat while at Turbo output.To protect the light and battery,PD35 drops down into the High brightness level after running at Turbo output for about 5 minutes.There is another step down to Mid brightness level after about 30 minutes working on High mode. These steps down are time controlled,so If you want again the higher mode you just have to reset the light(If the flashlight is to hot,reset is not recommend and can cause damage to the flashlight)."

My needs are for cycling. My commute is 1 hour long, I want 1 hour of turbo high run-time. Since I cycle at night during cold periods my lights tend to be cold(very cold). Overheating is never an issue as they are 'forced air cooled" so to speak. So will this light still drop to 450L in 5 minutes? Then drop again to medium after 30 mins? Is this time driven or temperature driven??? I already have a 450 lumen (or better) bike lights. I want a brighter light so this Fenix is appealing, small, self contained, waterproof and really bright. Fenix quality is far superior to most other brands.

Thanks again for your review. I did read most replies including Yeti(cyclist). Hopefully he will chime in as well.

Regards, Charlie
Hello Charlie.
PD35 steps down controlled by timer,so it will decrease the brightness always after 5 and 30 minutes or if the voltage is not enough for the required mode.You will have to restart it every 5 minutes,which is unacceptable for cycling in my opinion.Simple AMC7135 based driver might be better for bicycle flashlight.
Thanks

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast

You stated:

Regards, Charlie

hi cyclist here. you need something bigger - so dosnt need to step down, or something temp controlled so it adjusts itself. look at the zebralight SC600 L2, small bright and temp control with full regulation :). the 35's not for you !

balto charlie

Newly Enlightened
Thanks flashlion and zs&tas. saved me from a big mistake. I'll look into the zebralight. Thanks again, Charlie

JohnGribbin

Newly Enlightened
Look at eagletac. They step down very little. That's why I bought the g25c2 1180 lumens....

FlashLion

Enlightened
The G25C2 is actually 980 lumens.
And it is thrower compared to PD35. Not so good for cycling.
Thanks flashlion and zs&tas. saved me from a big mistake. I'll look into the zebralight. Thanks again, Charlie
Glad to help. If you will use it only on your bike better look around for any bike light from the good brands.They offer some really good,powerful bike lights with good beam for cycling.

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just thought of something. If the burst mode does 2.88 Amp drain, how come it is rated on a 2600 mAh battery for 1.25 hours? By my math it would last 54 mins unless I am just completely missing something (I'm not an electronics expert). Can someone explain this?

Last edited:

FlashLion

Enlightened
I just thought of something. If the burst mode does 2.88 Amp drain, how come it is rated on a 2600 mAh battery for 1.25 hours? By my math it would last 54 mins unless I am just completely missing something (I'm not an electronics expert). Can someone explain this?
This is the initial/maximal possible current draw.It will be at that value as long as the battery can hold it.A single battery can't hold it for long,so the current will decrease after some time.
I write the initial value just to give you an idea for the maximal possible current draw/brightness allowed by the driver. Since it will change its value,it is impossible to calculate runtime by just one measuring.
Hope this answers your question.
Thanks

Last edited:

John Pombrio

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the review. It took me WAY too long to figure out that this flashlight is the one I wanted.

I donno if there is a sale forum page, but the official Fenix-Store dot com has a good deal on their flashlights with the APP10 10% discount. I not only got the Fenix PD35 but their new 18650B 3400mAH (EDIT noname made in China) protected rechargeable batteries. With the discount, the batteries come out about the same price as the Orbtronics and no sales tax and free shipping. Plus their charger PLUS their over the top HP30 Headlamp. I just couldn't help myself! Imagine hitting a trail with 1700+ lumens. Deer will be blinded, birds will start chirping for the dawn, forest fires will be reported...
:eek:oo:

EDIT 2013-01-28 I returned the Fenix batteries and charger. the Fenix batteries are made by Shenzhen FTDBattery Industrial Company in China. No specs are available on the $20 each 18650 battery either in the package or on the Fenix website, a glaring omission for such an expensive battery. One of the batteries would not charge with the charger so I returned the batteries and the charger after talking to Fenix and running through some troubleshooting (battery never got above 3.623 volts and eventually would not have the lights come on when in the charger). I bought a set of Orbtronic 18650B Pany celled and protected batteries that DID include the specs for the battery AND were cheaper than the Fenix batteries, heh. They are charging now in a Nitecore 2nd gen charger.

EDIT 2014-04-07 Cannot say enough good things about both the PD-35 and the Obtronics 18650 rechargeable batteries. I bought another PD-35 as I liked the first one so much. The Orbtronics have been tested and charged and I highly recommend.

Last edited:

kolombo

Newly Enlightened
Excellent review and beautiful pictures! I found my way here because I love Fenix products and I'm looking for something a little more powerful than my LD20, and I think this may be the one. My birthday is around the corner and I'm probably going to ask for this (or the Nitecore P12).

Redstorm

Newly Enlightened
I bought one recently and am really impressed by the built and the brightness. Haven't really have a chance to try it outdoor but from my limited time playing with it indoor, it is darn good. I initially wanted the Nitecore P12 but the regular store that I got my flashlights from doesn't carry the Nitecore products. So, I went for the PD35 without any regrets.

Latest posts