Fenix TK12 (XP-G R5) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, PICS and more!

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Thanks for the great review! I've been considering getting a TK12. How substantial was the pocket clip? I'm looking for a TK12-ish tactical light w/ a decent strength pocket clip, as I'm in scrubs most of the time and carry IWB.
I don't think you'll have any problems - it fits on pretty tight. Although it would probably loosen with time if you removed it repeatedly.

Anyone here with experience with extended carry? Please chime in ...

dhouseng

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know what is the current draw on turbo mode (tk12 R5) with 18650 ?

1.0A or 1.2A ?

wantsusa

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the great review, I bought this light the other day from lightjunction and even with the holiday it came super quick. This is my first "real" flashlight and I am will have a hard time going to any cheap flashlight again after playing around with it and comparing it to the junk under $20 flashlights I have always gotten in the past.

This whole forum is great, and I am glad I stumbled upon it as I see and read amazing reviews and look at the awesome custom lights, if only I could afford them.

Mr.Burns

Newly Enlightened
So the TK12 R5 will work with 18650 AW just the way it comes ,no extra tube needed ?

MassterMark

Newly Enlightened
hi
got question for selfbuilt & other ppl who have this kind of LEDs: Fenix TK12, EagleTac T20C2 MarkII, Olight M21, JetBeam Raptor... meaning of size :D

i need some small flashlight for looking an objects at distance 100 - 200 ft., maybe little more, and i was looking at Fenix TK12 R5, Olight M21 & M20.
but I dont know what beam they produce on 200 ft :thinking:, which is better on that distance and which is cheaper :grin2:

now i have Led Lenser P7 and I was looking for some upgrade (if it can be for reasonable amount of money & size).

any suggestions wellcomed.
thx

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
i need some small flashlight for looking an objects at distance 100 - 200 ft., maybe little more, and i was looking at Fenix TK12 R5, Olight M21 & M20.
but I dont know what beam they produce on 200 ft :thinking:, which is better on that distance and which is cheaper :grin2:
This should help:

Selfbuilt's 100-Yard Outdoor Beamshots - 26 lights - July 2010

Basically, all lights will work fine for 100-200ft, and most are quite serviceable at 300ft (the beamshots are actually not as bright as it looked in real life at 100yards - the camera is set to best show the differences).

Sorry I forgot the TK12, but you can get a rough idea how it compares to the other by looking at the throw values in my summary chart. The TK12 will be added to the second batch of lights tested outdoors later this month.

MassterMark

Newly Enlightened
hi
after reading 'whole' forum :laughing::sick2:, I ended with Dereelight DBS V2 with aspheric head, but I dont know which model:thinking:
my second favourite is Tiablo A9 with Collimator Head.
what do you think?
thx

TwinBlade

Enlightened
An exceptional review. It was the direct side by side comparison of a whole HOST of flashlights, of which 3 were on my list competing with the TK12 that I decided to pull the trigger on the TK12. According to your review, the only possible thing it might lack is distance throw...but at 200 meters, that is more than enough for what I will ever need it for.

I have read a lot of your reviews and I am always grateful for your insight and time...even if 90% of the time I am just lurking and reading.:thumbsup:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
An exceptional review. It was the direct side by side comparison of a whole HOST of flashlights, of which 3 were on my list competing with the TK12 that I decided to pull the trigger on the TK12. According to your review, the only possible thing it might lack is distance throw...but at 200 meters, that is more than enough for what I will ever need it for.
:welcome: and thanks for the kind words.

I'm glad you found the comparisons useful. FYI, I plan to add the TK12 to my next batch of 100-yard beamshots, to further facilitate comparisons. Although I should point out that that round-up is really to compare throwers (which the camera conditions are optimized for). Subjectively, while I expect the TK12 would do a reasonable job at 100m (based on other lights I tested), I don't know about 200m (not having tested it).

TwinBlade

Enlightened
I hear you on the distance. Fenix states that the TK11 and TK12 are good for usable light to 200m. We shall see.

Most of my need for distance lighting is if I have to help track a deer in the woods. In the Wisconsin woods, it is seldom wide open and rarely would you ever get a chance at a 100 yard shot. I have an Inova T1 and T2, an iTP C10T and a Fenix P2D (among other smaller iTP keychain lights) that have all worked well outdoors. I suspect this TK12 will blow all of them away. If so, I will be exceptionally happy.:thumbsup:

TwinBlade

Enlightened
well, my TK12 showed up today. This is one beefcake of a light. I am very impressed with it. Can't wait for dark tonight to light things up. :twothumbs

The pocket clip has a less than desirable way of installing it, but that was minor. I like how you really have to move fast to switch modes on it and then it turns off momentarily to confirm the mode change. Pretty neat and fail proof when switching back and forth between levels in a mode.

DSC03445-1.jpg

jax

Newly Enlightened
well it would've been a nice touch if fenix included the tool to change the switch boot,its those little details...
just got a tk 11 r5,was wondering if any knew what would be a better light for massive spill,rather than extreme throw..
between the eagle tac,and the g5
anyone else not impressed with the way the g5 beams performance looks in the beam shots?
i want something the size of these flashlights but with massive flood,huge lumens,and dont need a beam to go 2oo meters,maybe more like 150ft ahead of me a wall of light..
for these dark,canadian forests i am in.

SemperFi

Banned
I hear you on the distance. Fenix states that the TK11 and TK12 are good for usable light to 200m. We shall see.

Most of my need for distance lighting is if I have to help track a deer in the woods. In the Wisconsin woods, it is seldom wide open and rarely would you ever get a chance at a 100 yard shot. I have an Inova T1 and T2, an iTP C10T and a Fenix P2D (among other smaller iTP keychain lights) that have all worked well outdoors. I suspect this TK12 will blow all of them away. If so, I will be exceptionally happy.:thumbsup:

Were you more keen in tracking and hunting the deers or you meant to scare them off (TK12 will blow all of them away. If so, I will be exceptionally happy)your turf/ranch without walking thru yr front door lodge?

If hunting is the case, a night vision scope is undoubtedly yr answer and if protecting your little large lawn from being trampled from damage, then detectors and trigger switches responding from sensors coupled to high intensity flood lights but consuming extreme low voltage spread around the perimeters would serve ideally well instead, as you stay comfortably close to the fireplace doing your thing...heheh. :twothumbs

Mick.

Newly Enlightened
Great review,

I have since bought one and it is great.
An absolute go to light all the time. The missus wants one now :twothumbs

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
just got a tk 11 r5,was wondering if any knew what would be a better light for massive spill,rather than extreme throw..
The TK11/12 are among the least throwy lights in this category of heavy-duty XP-G lights.

To get more spill and less throw, you would have to find a light with a shallower and wider reflector. Frankly, the easiest thing is probably just to get a diffuser cover that fits the light.

Chris-841

Newly Enlightened
That's a very thorough review!
I'm kind of new to this forum and wasn't expecting such detailed review, but thank you it's very helpful. I've been looking for a new LED torch so i think the Fenix TK12 will be on the list